The Student Room Group

The "I'll never pass my driving test!" thoughts..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't give mock tests, it's almost counter productive and to be honest in my opinion unfair and unrealistic
Original post by IDrive
I don't give mock tests, it's almost counter productive and to be honest in my opinion unfair and unrealistic

Assuming you're an instructor haha xD

I kind of see where you're coming from - when you say don't do mock tests though, is that in terms of not 'examining' it? So, would you still take the person on a 40 minute drive which includes all the components of a real test, so they get a good idea of what they'll be doing?
Reply 62
If you're instructor is worthntheir salt they should know you and you're driving plus all you're lessons , you shouldn't been given a progress report. You'll see where you need help and they should provide it.

It's not hard, a mock test is hyoerthetical situation and a snapshot of that frame of mind.

Imop waste of time.
Original post by IDrive
If you're instructor is worthntheir salt they should know you and you're driving plus all you're lessons , you shouldn't been given a progress report. You'll see where you need help and they should provide it.

It's not hard, a mock test is hyoerthetical situation and a snapshot of that frame of mind.

Imop waste of time.

So, again, I'll ask: when you say don't do mock tests though, is that in terms of not 'examining' it? So, would you still take the person on a 40 minute drive which includes all the components of a real test, so they get a good idea of what they'll be doing?

For me, having the mock test was really helpful... If I hadn't have had it, I would've been a lot more nervous, mainly about not knowing what kind of thing would happen during the test... I majorly ****ed up my mock test, something like 5 majors, and **** ton more minors, yet I passed pretty well when doing the real test... If anything, it gave me even more push to nail the test... I would personally say that saying mock tests are always bad is a wrong, because the same situation doesn't apply to everyone... For some, perhaps a mock test isn't the right way to go, but I would've been pissed off if my instructor had told me I'm not doing a mock test... :dontknow:
Reply 64
Original post by mobbsy91
So, again, I'll ask: when you say don't do mock tests though, is that in terms of not 'examining' it? So, would you still take the person on a 40 minute drive which includes all the components of a real test, so they get a good idea of what they'll be doing?

For me, having the mock test was really helpful... If I hadn't have had it, I would've been a lot more nervous, mainly about not knowing what kind of thing would happen during the test... I majorly ****ed up my mock test, something like 5 majors, and **** ton more minors, yet I passed pretty well when doing the real test... If anything, it gave me even more push to nail the test... I would personally say that saying mock tests are always bad is a wrong, because the same situation doesn't apply to everyone... For some, perhaps a mock test isn't the right way to go, but I would've been pissed off if my instructor had told me I'm not doing a mock test... :dontknow:

First point,

again, I'll ask: when you say don't do mock tests though, is that in terms of not 'examining' it? So, would you still take the person on a 40 minute drive which includes all the components of a real test, so they get a good idea of what they'll be doing?

Your instructor should of built up a picture of your driving. You're habits and ability and your overall driving standard. You should have a progress sheet/email and that should show you're compeancy.

You need to realise that you're instructor's opinion is just that an opinion. A major in my opinion may be a serious or even a minor to some. When we get closer to the test ( I do at least 1 a week) we drive and wherever and when ever drive as one should. Their is no set route and any discrepancies are discussed, revised and addressed.

We have lessons for 2 hours not 40 mins and btw the test is actually 43mins usually but we always say be prepared for 50 mins.

I email my pupil an introduction to myself which is very detailed and gives you exactly what you need to read including a step by step breakdown on both practical and theory test.

I with respect, wouldn't care if you were pissed off. Let me put it another way.

If you're mock went wrong on a blind spot check, on you're test you were obsessed with it, you'd pay kore attention to thinking about what you need to do rather than what you should be doing.
I hope that clears my position.
Original post by IDrive
First point,

again, I'll ask: when you say don't do mock tests though, is that in terms of not 'examining' it? So, would you still take the person on a 40 minute drive which includes all the components of a real test, so they get a good idea of what they'll be doing?

Your instructor should of built up a picture of your driving. You're habits and ability and your overall driving standard. You should have a progress sheet/email and that should show you're compeancy.

That's all well and good, but that doesn't mean that the pupil will have a good idea of what kind of structure the test will be. Yes, I get that it's not an exact formula, but I'd say it's better for the pupil to have an example, especially if that's what they want. And yeh, of course the instructor (a good one anyway) will have an idea of what you are and aren't good at, but driving in a lesson didn't give me the same nerves/pressure as either the mock test, or the real test, and so it was good to see what I was like under pressure...
You need to realise that you're instructor's opinion is just that an opinion. A major in my opinion may be a serious or even a minor to some. When we get closer to the test ( I do at least 1 a week) we drive and wherever and when ever drive as one should. Their is no set route and any discrepancies are discussed, revised and addressed.

Of course it is... But that's like with every examiner as well...
We have lessons for 2 hours not 40 mins and btw the test is actually 43mins usually but we always say be prepared for 50 mins.

Yeh, unfortunately most people don't live on top of the test centre, so the rest of the time during the lesson can still be used for driving practice... For me, I drove to the test centre, then had the mock test, talked about it, then used the remaining time for the rest of the lesson... Also, a test isn't going to be exactly 43 minutes, naturally due to traffic, the route etc... mine ended after about 35 minutes...

I email my pupil an introduction to myself which is very detailed and gives you exactly what you need to read including a step by step breakdown on both practical and theory test.

Fine, but that's like saying that telling someone what the structure of an exam is just as good as giving that person a mock exam...
I with respect, wouldn't care if you were pissed off. Let me put it another way.

If you're mock went wrong on a blind spot check, on you're test you were obsessed with it, you'd pay kore attention to thinking about what you need to do rather than what you should be doing.
I hope that clears my position.

Ok, with respect, I'd find myself a different instructor.
I'll take my own experience with this: I massively ****ed up my mock test. About 5 days later, I did my real test. Passed with 2 minors. So, obviously it worked pretty well for me. I think it's incredibly naive to just say that a mock test is always a bad thing.
Thank you, Mobbsy91.

I feel a lot better now, and I know my mock tests aren't necessarily reflective of how I can drive. I drive better than that ( a lot better, in fact) and perhaps that's why I was so disappointed.

As to the validity of the mock test, even though I'm finding them very difficult, I'd rather have them than not have them. It's not so much to see where a student is at in their driving-because, of course, the instructor should already know that. It may, however, highlight some areas where the student specifically needs help. It is more about getting the student accustomed to test conditions-having someone sitting beside you, who might not be talking, who is armed with pen and paper to judge you.

Throwing a student into a test without giving them adequate practice time in a similar environment could be, for some, throwing them into the deep end. I get that every instructor is different, but there's a huge difference between writing it out what will happen and having them actually experience it before test. Huge difference.

IDrive, so if a student specifically desired a mock test to see if they were ready for their test or just to try it out, would you refuse to do it?
Original post by CleverLilViper
Thank you, Mobbsy91.

I feel a lot better now, and I know my mock tests aren't necessarily reflective of how I can drive. I drive better than that ( a lot better, in fact) and perhaps that's why I was so disappointed.

As to the validity of the mock test, even though I'm finding them very difficult, I'd rather have them than not have them. It's not so much to see where a student is at in their driving-because, of course, the instructor should already know that. It may, however, highlight some areas where the student specifically needs help. It is more about getting the student accustomed to test conditions-having someone sitting beside you, who might not be talking, who is armed with pen and paper to judge you.

Throwing a student into a test without giving them adequate practice time in a similar environment could be, for some, throwing them into the deep end. I get that every instructor is different, but there's a huge difference between writing it out what will happen and having them actually experience it before test. Huge difference.

IDrive, so if a student specifically desired a mock test to see if they were ready for their test or just to try it out, would you refuse to do it?

Out of interest, do you have any thoughts about when you're going to try taking the test for real?
Out of interest, do you have any thoughts about when you're going to try taking the test for real?

No real idea when that will be.

I'm hoping soon, around the summer time. :smile:
No real idea when that will be.

I'm hoping soon, around the summer time. :smile:

Ahh fair enough!! Probably worth looking now/soonish otherwise they'll start booking up very quickly!
Ahh fair enough!! Probably worth looking now/soonish otherwise they'll start booking up very quickly!

Yeah, that's what my instructor said a couple of lessons ago.

He said he didn't want to wait until I was definitely test standard to book it because of the waiting times or else I'll be waiting forever. :smile:
Yeah, that's what my instructor said a couple of lessons ago.

He said he didn't want to wait until I was definitely test standard to book it because of the waiting times or else I'll be waiting forever. :smile:

Yup, exactly that... and tbh, when you do your test, even if you're not 100% ready, there are two outcomes...
1. You pass... in that case, the examiner thinks that you're safe driving yourself... Awesome!
2. You fail... you get the experience of a real test, learn from what you did wrong, and do better next time...
I'm taking my 6th test this week, previous fails have been for stupid reasons. Really feeling like I'll never pass at this rate! Feels like all the examiners actually want me to fail
Original post by Television617
I'm taking my 6th test this week, previous fails have been for stupid reasons. Really feeling like I'll never pass at this rate! Feels like all the examiners actually want me to fail

You're gonna pass eventually, there are a fair few people for who it does take multiple attempts, but you'll get there! Best of luck!! Is there something in particular you're worried about for it?
I'm taking my first practical Test tomorrow at 9...quite excited and nervous at the same time...:s-smilie:. Had my practice yesterday morning, and almost crashed twice during roundabouts since i kept speeding up when approaching them :tongue:
Original post by Dann.It
I'm taking my first practical Test tomorrow at 9...quite excited and nervous at the same time...:s-smilie:. Had my practice yesterday morning, and almost crashed twice during roundabouts since i kept speeding up when approaching them :tongue:

First time for me tomorrow too! I have mine at half 1, good luck!
Original post by greenmath
First time for me tomorrow too! I have mine at half 1, good luck!

Ooo goodluck :'). Where are you taking yours?? Mine's in Sheffield :smile:)
Original post by Dann.It
Ooo goodluck :':wink:. Where are you taking yours?? Mine's in Sheffield :smile:)

Ah cool! Mine is in Birmingham, really hoping I pass because there's no test dates until October at my test centre:colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greenmath
Ah cool! Mine is in Birmingham, really hoping I pass because there's no test dates until October at my test centre:colondollar:

Oh wow, that's a long wait...here the next available dates are late july, early august. But anyway, wish you the best. :smile:
I'm so scared I'll fail mine as well.

I'm taking my theory soon and I'm not worried about that at all, but damn I feel like I'm gonna need a **** ton of driving lessons. My parents have taken me out to drive up and down empty streets before and I don't know why but I struggled so bloody much to actually start the car. Like I'd obviously be able to turn it on but when I wanted to take off I'd stall the car cos I either didn't push down hard enough or too much on the accelerator.

I was actually good at driving once I managed to move after like a billion startups but I feel like that's going to be my set back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending