The Student Room Group

Can Exs Be Just "Friends"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
What is your view TSR,

The way i see it is that, if this was the case and you were just to be friends then surely when things were going relatively well, there would be temptation to restore what you once had?

Or

Could it be the case, that once you are over someone entirely you can be "friends" with them?

Here are three quick reasons for not remaining friends with the ex.

1.It makes it more difficult to move on and find someone that is right for you.

2.Should you get back together with the ex; the relationship with the ex will never be the same because the one that has made concessions in order to get back together puts themselves into a weaker position within the relationship.

3.Just think about how you would feel if your partner was good friends with his/her ex. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem until you had a disagreement with your partner and he/she went looking for them to provide support and comfort.
Yes my ex is one of my good friends, we have both moved on :smile:
It is possible but its hard if u had real feelings for them if you let time pass. I'm friends with one ex (civil to another and don't go near the other one as he cheated on me). Oddly my ex became friendly with my current bf just before i did (we hadn't spoken in over a year) and we met again through my current bf and became friendly. hehe. my bf is friends with virtually all his exes or at the very least on good terms with them
Maybe after a while apart, but not immediately after a break-up, in my opinion.
Reply 24
Only if you're on the same page, but that's rare in my experience. Usually one person wants to get back together and then when they realise that's not gonna happen, all of a sudden they don't wanna be your friend anymore.
Original post by ToastyCoke
I guess so.

But I wouldn't want to be.

This is how I feel too!
Reply 26
Original post by trooper6
Here are three quick reasons for not remaining friends with the ex.

1.It makes it more difficult to move on and find someone that is right for you.

QUOTE]

Totally agree. If you're still very good friends with an ex then there is probably still a very close bond between you. You can tell yourself it's just friendship but chances are that one or both of you will eventually create a situation which will potentially damage future relationships. It can be too easy to slip into old habits with an ex.

Having said that if you haven't been together for a long while and can honestly say that you are happy to see your ex in a relationship with someone else then good for you; it'll be quite easy to stay in their life. You are mature and truely over the past you had together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending