The Student Room Group

Can Exs Be Just "Friends"?

What is your view TSR,

The way i see it is that, if this was the case and you were just to be friends then surely when things were going relatively well, there would be temptation to restore what you once had?

Or

Could it be the case, that once you are over someone entirely you can be "friends" with them?

Scroll to see replies

Surely you'd remember the reason why you broke up/didn't want to be with them and that would tell you that you didn't want to restore what you once had?
Reply 2
Yes I'm great friends with my ex.

Relationships are like journeys we explore. If the final outcome is already known, restoring what a couple once had can be thought of going back on the journey to a past phase only to come to the same conclusion again. On the other hand, a couple may choose to get back together if they think there are other unexplored routes they can take that will lead them to a different conclusion.

With my past relationship I'm confident we explored everything and so am perfectly happy being friends with her.
I guess so.

But I wouldn't want to be.
It's definitely possible, depending on the nature of the break up.

It seems silly to me to lose somebody you were that close to in your life, just because you're not in a relationship with them any more. Once time has passed and the wounds have healed, it is nice to be able to be back in each others lives.
I think it depends on the circumstances you broke up, but I think it's plausible.

It seems sad that someone you shared so much time, affection and secrets with can become a stranger in you're life once you've broken up.
Reply 6
If they've both moved on.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
What is your view TSR,

The way i see it is that, if this was the case and you were just to be friends then surely when things were going relatively well, there would be temptation to restore what you once had?

Or

Could it be the case, that once you are over someone entirely you can be "friends" with them?

I'm "just friends" with my ex. I still have a sexual desire, but I wouldn't act on it.
Reply 8
I definitely think so. My ex is now one of my best friends :smile:.
Reply 9
If either party has even the slightest feelings for the other, the answer is a resounding 'NO'
I'm on friendly terms with all of the exs that I keep in contact with.

Something to do with not being an immature ****, or being with immature people, PERHAPS.

Yet another thread where the retards will flatly state things like 'NO, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE', when it blatantly is not. I know couples that divorced after years of marriage that are still friends.
Reply 11
My ex's hate me, so I do not know.
Reply 12
I'm going through a break up with my girlfriend now, and its pretty raw at the moment, some bad things being said, but i still love her, and after this "raw" part i wantt o be in her life and be friends because i care for her a lot and we spent more or less everyday together for 9 months. Experienced so much together.

:frown:((
Reply 13
It's hard cause my ex recently broke up with me right before my exams after a year an a half, ouch. But yeah, time helps. It's natural to go through an emotional roller coaster, one minute you wanna be with them, the next you get defensive a say things you regret. Both of you are hurt and can't function properly cause the emotions are taking control of your brain. Just let time calm things down and do things which distract you, go out with your buddies! After a while (I don't mean a week, couple of months prob of no contact) once the emotions have calmed, if you still wanna be friends and see how they are doing write them an e-mail or facebook them and be nice in a casual way. Prob you can build something from there. If they are harsh back it's prob cause they still hurt, just give it time! I've written quite a bit but hope it helps.
Reply 14
I'm friends with my exes. Not close friends, admittedly, but that's partially because I don't see them much any more and neither party really makes the effort to. If I bumped into them in the street I'd always stop for a chat.

I think that one reason that my relationships finished was the fact that they were just different people to me - therefore I'd be unlikely to hang out with them as friends afterwards.
Original post by Anonymous
What is your view TSR,

Or

my opinion is no you cant be friends its like saying "i loved my dog! we had fun times, but now she's dead, we can still keep the corpse"

of course you can keep your dead dog but after a while it will start smelling andput every one off!
Reply 16
as long as you have NO feelings for each other
Reply 17
Is it possible?
Sure it is!

Does it happen?
Rarely.
Reply 18
No, unless there is a really long history and kids involved I doubt it's ever good to stay in touch even, let alone friends. It usually means that one person has feelings and the other person doesn't reciprocate it. It also can end in sticky situations, I once had a stalker ex boyfriend which really put me off this idea :eek:
To be honest, in many cases I think the question is "can exes be friends, at all?". I'm not great friends with my exes, there's no animosity there but we have nothing in common anymore. I think exes can be friends, both parties just have to be sure and have to make it clear that that's all it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending