The Student Room Group

Meeting someone you've met online...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I met my husband online and 10yrs later we are still together with a family. Have to say though, before I met him, I met a few guys and had a couple of lucky escapes. I was a bit silly and didn't meet in public and met them on my own etc...looking back it was a very stupid thing to do.

If you do decide to go ahead, meet in a public place and have a mate standing by in the background just to reassure you. If things go pear shaped or if you don't like the person, then you can signal or send a text or something. Safe than sorry.
Original post by Astonix
Well my older brother had a girlfriend for a while with someone from a dating site so my Dad was probably kind of use to the idea by the time it came to me. Later down the line my Dad hooked up with on of his ex's as well by catching her online and chatting again.

Jee, my family spends too long on the Computer : |

It might not be as easy for you though as you're a woman which kind of changes everything as your parents might fear for your safety or something. You could propose they take you and drop you off so they catch a glimpse of him or something but insist they don't speak to him if you don't want them to.

I suppose that makes it easier. My brother's never met anyone online, and my parents don't communicate with other people online, unless my mum e-mails someone, and she has Facebook.

Hahah, I wish mines did, maybe they might understand.

If I suggest a drop off, I bet my mum would want to meet him definitely. Once she dropped me off at the trainstation by car, but decided to get out to talk to my friends a little, and tell them my gran had died before I even felt like telling them. Awkward. ._.
Just make sure you meet him in a public place? Maybe take a friend and have them hiding inconspicuously if you're worried :h:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Woah, that's quite a distance! :eek: I didn't quite have nearly that distance in my case (midlands and south east England).

Eh, funnily enough my dad hasn't even mentioned it since. He either completely forgot or just wasn't bothered anymore :dontknow:

Yep. ^^;
A girl who is more recently my friend has went down there by coach, which was £18 or something odd, but it was a 10 hour journey.

Heh, that's quite good. c:
Original post by innerhollow
For the moment, seriously just lie. Tell your parents that you met this guy through one of your friends or something. If things continue to go well between you and your online bf, and your parents become familiarised with him, THEN you can tell them (they'll be annoyed that you lied but they won't care whatsoever at that point that you met him off the internet). Plus, it would make for a great story later on :biggrin:

And ffs don't break up with the guy over something so stupid. :s-smilie:

Alright. Yeah my boyfriend has said he could just come up and lie that he's a friend from here. It could be a good cover, but the accent might be suspicious.

I'm being really stupid, but I'm so frustrated about this, never happened before.
Original post by Veryveryconfused
Alright. Yeah my boyfriend has said he could just come up and lie that he's a friend from here. It could be a good cover, but the accent might be suspicious.

His accent might be suspicious?! Are you kidding me?! :lolwut: I live in Scotland too, you know, last time I checked it is possible from people from around the world to move here!

I'm being really stupid, but I'm so frustrated about this, never happened before.

I honestly can't disagree with that.
I would go Anonymous, but I don't see the point really.

I would give a whole load of details, but I want to meet someone online and I'm only 17, don't think my parents would approve and don't see how I'm going to hide it from them.

So do I tell my parents straight up about this? (Admittedly, yes.. I am in a relationship. That's why I want to meet them even more so. Feel free to slaughter me with your judgements)

Or should I just forget about it?

Any with any personal stories, or opinions, please do post. And slag me for doing something online if you want, because I know it isn't the norm. :erm:

I met two girls to go to a gig with. I met them in a public place (train station) and my Dad came with me to see that it was actually them, and then he went home again.
Original post by innerhollow
His accent might be suspicious?! Are you kidding me?! :lolwut: I live in Scotland too, you know, last time I checked it is possible from people from around the world to move here!

I honestly can't disagree with that.

God, yeah I know that. I don't know whats up with my mind. I'm just taking everything too negatively and warping things in my head.
Reply 48
tell ur parents, just in case he kills u or summn like that :s-smilie:
I would go Anonymous, but I don't see the point really.

I would give a whole load of details, but I want to meet someone online and I'm only 17, don't think my parents would approve and don't see how I'm going to hide it from them.

So do I tell my parents straight up about this? (Admittedly, yes.. I am in a relationship. That's why I want to meet them even more so. Feel free to slaughter me with your judgements)

Or should I just forget about it?

Any with any personal stories, or opinions, please do post. And slag me for doing something online if you want, because I know it isn't the norm. :erm:

funnily enough you are not alone...i know a LOT of people (including myself) who have met people online....(of course after checking he was a real person, we met in a public place just for a few hours......we have now been dating for nearly a year - things can work out :smile: )

what i would do - which is quite sneaky admittedly, is i'd first meet him in person, and then tell them about him etc... of course be prepared for your parents to shout because the internet really isn't a safe place!

If you tried to forget about it i'm pretty sure you'd regret it - but think carefully :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
funnily enough you are not alone...i know a LOT of people (including myself) who have met people online....(of course after checking he was a real person, we met in a public place just for a few hours......we have now been dating for nearly a year - things can work out :smile: )

what i would do - which is quite sneaky admittedly, is i'd first meet him in person, and then tell them about him etc... of course be prepared for your parents to shout because the internet really isn't a safe place!

If you tried to forget about it i'm pretty sure you'd regret it - but think carefully :smile:

I'm glad to hear it's worked out for you. :smile:

A few people have said to just go meet him secretly, which sounds fair enough. I hope they wouldn't rant on about breaking trust and lying though.

I think I probably would regret it, I'm just unsure of it all.
Reply 51
You could meet and like if u ddnt want to take ur friend along with u then just get them to be near and aware-sort of like james Bond style lool :smile:
Erm but make sure u dont meet sort of near ur house or u dont tell the person tht this is where u live etc...
Meet them first and see what happens and take it from there..
Good luck :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by damilola
tell ur parents, just in case he kills u or summn like that :s-smilie:

A bit extreme eyyy..mind u it happens tho...:s-smilie:
Meeting people from the internet is a very silly thing to do, it can be very dangerous and I would highly disregard this sort of behavour. I suggest you move on and don't bother with this person toot suit!
Reply 54
You could possibly meet up with this person and aware your parents beforehand though when you acquaint this person you should bring another adult with you just to stay on the safe side
Eh, you're 17: I shouldn't see why you'd need to bring or tell your parents. Bring a friend (older sibling?) to come with you to see you off and to check that the person is who they say they are. Then get your friend to text you every hour to check that you're okay and have a code word and location that you must reply with - my code word was the name of our pet dog 'rollo'.

Keep to public, well populated spaces - i.e. shopping centres and cafes, and stay clear from parks.

I know the code word could be seen as bit extreme, but it kept my mum happy when I met up with my (then) 15 year old male friend when I was 13. We now see each other regularly without the need for a codeword :h:
Do you even know if the person exists - ask them for a webcam chat first then meet up with him.
I used to meet people online all the time when I was 16/17. I met my husband that way. Even now I go to meet ups sometimes (though generally these days it's other mums that I meet up with). I don't see a problem with it. Meeting somebody online for a relationship, or just friendship, is hardly taboo. Just meet somewhere public obviously and that's that really. I don't see the big deal.
I'm confused, did you mean you are in a relationship with him already? :confused: or did you mean you're in a relationship with someone else?
Original post by sarahthegemini
I'm confused, did you mean you are in a relationship with him already? :confused: or did you mean you're in a relationship with someone else?

Yep I'm in a relationship with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending