The Student Room Group

Results - How Do You Feel?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly bricking it for Thursday now. I'm beginning to believe I've failed maths, I can't stop thinking about how badly the exam went, and to make matters worse I did all of Paper 1 in pencil :frown:

So worried my already bad score will be penalised!
Original post by christielovesyou
Honestly bricking it for Thursday now. I'm beginning to believe I've failed maths, I can't stop thinking about how badly the exam went, and to make matters worse I did all of Paper 1 in pencil :frown:

If they penalise you for writing in pencil I'm doomed 'cause I wrote all of my exams in pencil.

Edit: Googled It! According to most of this thread, nothing really happens :biggrin: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1611556
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82

Nah, they don't penalise you! :smile: If they can read it, they can mark it; the concern is simply that with an exam done in pencil they may not actually be able to read it (due to smudging or unclear scans ET CETERA).

mysqa:
We recommend pen because it is more legible and less likely to smudge. However, provided your writing is decipherable the markers will mark it. I would recommend you use pen for future exams though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Armaros
Nah, they don't penalise you! :smile: If they can read it, they can mark it; the concern is simply that with an exam done in pencil they may not actually be able to read it (due to smudging or unclear scans ET CETERA).

Phew! :rolleyes:
Reply 84

I've always done maths exams in pencil as does everyone in my class/year - I thought that was the norm?
Original post by cbvz57
I've always done maths exams in pencil as does everyone in my class/year - I thought that was the norm?

Nope, there's an instruction on the front saying "use black or blue pen only" or something like that. You're meant to use pencil for the multiple choice answer sheet, however.
Reply 86
Nope, there's an instruction on the front saying "use black or blue pen only" or something like that. You're meant to use pencil for the multiple choice answer sheet, however.

Really? :colondollar: I've never seen anyone use a pen for maths in my life!

EDIT: I just looked at the 2010 paper 2 and it says nothing about ink on it.
Original post by cbvz57
Really? :colondollar: I've never seen anyone use a pen for maths in my life!

EDIT: I just looked at the 2010 paper 2 and it says nothing about ink on it.

It's on the answer sheet if I remember correctly...I definitely remember reading it somewhere, otherwise I wouldn't be having such a freak-out. :colondollar:
Guys, as I've said previously, we recommend using pen (except for graphs and charts and stuff), but if you write in pencil then we'll mark it provided it's legible. Obviously pencil can smudge and fade more easily though.

I know it's getting a bit hairy now, so here's something to get you stirred up for the next 3 days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCCfazKxzk
Reply 89
My teachers gave us horror stories about what would happen if we wrote in pencil, just to make sure we wrote in ink. :tongue: They aren't true though.
Original post by Quirky
My teachers gave us horror stories about what would happen if we wrote in pencil, just to make sure we wrote in ink. :tongue: They aren't true though.

Sounds interesting :P What were the stories?
Reply 91
Original post by BritainPersonified
Sounds interesting :P What were the stories?

I heard it all from your exam will be refused by the SQA to it being ripped in two on the spot. :closedeyes:
Original post by mysqa

I know it's getting a bit hairy now, so here's something to get you stirred up for the next 3 days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCCfazKxzk

I approve of this message :yep:
Original post by Quirky
I heard it all from your exam will be refused by the SQA to it being ripped in two on the spot. :closedeyes:

Bang goes all my results then :P :ahee::giggle:. I got to admit, it was clever strategy on your teachers part 'cause it would have made sure you wrote in pen :smile:
Reply 94
Bang goes all my results then :P :ahee::giggle:. I got to admit, it was clever strategy on your teachers part 'cause it would have made sure you wrote in pen :smile:

Yeah, it worked like a charm! I brought about ten different pens with me just in case. We weren't informed that writing in pencil just meant it could be harder to read until we were in the exam hall.
Original post by Quirky
Yeah, it worked like a charm! I brought about ten different pens with me just in case. We weren't informed that writing in pencil just meant it could be harder to read until we were in the exam hall.

I took the risk I guess because the majority of my subjects were essay based subjects and the only writing medium I can write quickly in is pencil. I figured it was better taking the risk and getting all the information down, rather than shooting myself in the foot twice because I couldn't write what I wanted to and knew because I was too slow.
Reply 96
I took the risk I guess because the majority of my subjects were essay based subjects and the only writing medium I can write quickly in is pencil. I figured it was better taking the risk and getting all the information down, rather than shooting myself in the foot twice because I couldn't write what I wanted to and knew because I was too slow.

Yes, I can see what you mean. Unless you write really, really faintly, you'll be fine.
Original post by Quirky
Yes, I can see what you mean. Unless you write really, really faintly, you'll be fine.

Thank God the reason I write slowly is cause I press too hard with the pen/pencil :P

The only words I remember how to say whenever results are mentioned. I'm not ready for this!!! Currently being doctored by a certain Mr Russell Howard, and also Ed Byrnes and the infamous Ben and Jerry. It helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Oncoming Storm

The only words I remember how to say whenever results are mentioned. I'm not ready for this!!! Currently being doctored by a certain Mr Russell Howard, and also Ed Byrnes and the infamous Ben and Jerry. It helps.

That sounds like the perfect combo!!! I have been spending all day everyday on TSR for the past week, but its just making me more nervous!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending