The Student Room Group

Look at the Bangor advert...

Surely I can't be the only one to notice it...?

:facepalm:
Reply 1
Notice what? :dontknow:
Reply 2
How unrelated the animation is to Psychology?
Reply 3
Original post by DLJ
Notice what? :dontknow:

Seriously? Is it just me? Action potentials only fire in one direction.
Reply 4
Original post by Broderss
How unrelated the animation is to Psychology?

Well yes in respect to it being fundamentally wrong.
What about it? It's an advert for erm, Bangor?
Reply 6
Original post by Katie_louise
Seriously? Is it just me? Action potentials only fire in one direction.

LOL, Fair enough.

Surely I can't be the only one to notice it...?

:facepalm:

Oh my god you're totally right!

What a fail on Bangor's behalf :p:
Reply 8
never mind
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Perhaps the animation is attempting to show something beyond the simplistic A-level conception of neuronal communication?

Looking at the advert is appears a rather electrical mechanism? Is it actually representing the classical chemical synapse?

:wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Psych!
Perhaps the animation is attempting to show something beyond the simplistic A-level conception of neuronal communication?

Looking at the advert is appears a rather electrical mechanism? Is it actually representing the classical chemical synapse?

:wink:

erm...what?
Reply 11
lol, in sum - does it actually show what you think it does?

I've honestly no idea exactly what it is meant to actually represent. It might conflict with what you currently know, but neuronal communication can be bidirectional (it is not limited to the unidirectional AP found with chemical synapses). This would be somewhat beyond A-level psychology, though.

Well, effective education predominately involves challenging current beliefs/knowledge, so maybe they have done a good job. Or maybe it was merely the imagination of some marketing bod.

Anyway, you might want to read up on the differences between chemical and electrical synapses. The electrical synapse can involve bidirectional flow of information across the gap junctions (whereas the chemical synapse is unidirectional).
Reply 12
Original post by Psych!
lol, in sum - does it actually show what you think it does?

I've honestly no idea exactly what it is meant to actually represent. It might conflict with what you currently know, but neuronal communication can be bidirectional (it is not limited to the unidirectional AP found with chemical synapses). This would be somewhat beyond A-level psychology, though.

Well, effective education predominately involves challenging current beliefs/knowledge, so maybe they have done a good job. Or maybe it was merely the imagination of some marketing bod.

Anyway, you might want to read up on the differences between chemical and electrical synapses. The electrical synapse can involve bidirectional flow of information across the gap junctions (whereas the chemical synapse is unidirectional).

brap.

Quick Reply

Latest