The Student Room Group

Will I get an A in A level Maths.......?

I might get a Grade B in GCSE Maths or an A if I am lucky as I have tried hard but I think I am mostly going to get a B. I am thinking about choosing A level Maths and naturally I am not a 'Maths' person I am more of an essay person as I get A's in many essay based subjects. If I try hard, apply myself and do many questions and go over it allot I can do well, its just the fact that I go to a crappy state school with the worst Maths department ever!

So is A level maths for me and can I get an A in it considering the setbacks I have regarding my lack of natural aptitiude in Maths and my crappy Maths department...?

Please dont post one line answers like 'maybe'. i would like a more in depth answer as I have posted this before but I did not get a sufficient amount of answers or information to help answer my question...

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ah yes, the best person to ask is obviously someone over the internet who doesn't know you in the slightest. Good thinking.
Reply 2
Original post by TAHIR-PATEL-17
I might get a Grade B in GCSE Maths or an A if I am lucky as I have tried hard but I think I am mostly going to get a B. I am thinking about choosing A level Maths and naturally I am not a 'Maths' person I am more of an essay person as I get A's in many essay based subjects. If I try hard, apply myself and do many questions and go over it allot I can do well, its just the fact that I go to a crappy state school with the worst Maths department ever!

So is A level maths for me and can I get an A in it considering the setbacks I have regarding my lack of natural aptitiude in Maths and my crappy Maths department...?

Please dont post one line answers like 'maybe'. i would like a more in depth answer as I have posted this before but I did not get a sufficient amount of answers or information to help answer my question...

Thanks in advance.

Can you point out anything in particular that you struggled at in GCSE?

For example, if what set you back at GCSE was bearings and how to draw circles using triangles or something, then you'd probably be fine at A-level. On the other hand...

EDIT: You know, I really have no idea why there's a cross face beside the title of this post... :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
If you're more of an essay-orientated person, Maths at A-level probably isn't for you. I fell into the same trap when I was applying for college; I did really well at GCSE Maths but when I got to college my interest for the subject dropped and I decided to change courses and do something essay-based.

If you think you can really apply yourself and do all the work set you should still be able to do really well, though; one of my friends did badly in his first year and is now getting As and Bs in his exams after putting most of his time and effort into studying.

An A in Maths can be achieved if you are willing to put the time in basically, even if the department is bad.
We're not bloody psychics, get a C1 book and do work son.
Reply 5
You'll need to work hard, but practice truely does make perfect. If you put in the effort anything is possible. Although, it'll be difficult. Even people with A*s find the step up challenging.
Reply 6
Original post by Beth1234
Can you point out anything in particular that you struggled at in GCSE?

For example, if what set you back at GCSE was bearings and how to draw circles using triangles or something, then you'd probably be fine at A-level. On the other hand...

I struggled in
vectors
extremely hard equations like rocket science simultaneous equations

I UNDERSTOOD CONCEPTS BUT I WAS A LITTLE RAW IN SOME ELELMENTS LIKE AND I NEVER RECIEVED ALLOT OF HELP REGARDING ANSWERING QUESTIONS!
Reply 7
naturally I am not a 'Maths' person

If you're sure about this, then you probably won't. Maths tends to depend a lot on your innate ability to understand concepts and solve problems than other subjects, and if you don't have that natural ability then you'll be a lot less likely to succeed. However, I'm not saying it's impossible, and I don't know enough about you to comment strongly.
Reply 8
Don't do the mechanics section if you aren't good at vectors. Sim. equations appear a lot too, if you practise you will be fine.

Although you can get a B at GCSE with knowing very little algebra which will be a problem at A level.
Reply 9
I struggled in
vectors
extremely hard equations like rocket science simultaneous equations

I UNDERSTOOD CONCEPTS BUT I WAS A LITTLE RAW IN SOME ELELMENTS LIKE AND I NEVER RECIEVED ALLOT OF HELP REGARDING ANSWERING QUESTIONS!

Hmm... simultaneous equations don't come up at A-level (at least not in my syllabus), though someone above has said it comes up a lot in theirs... Vectors WILL come up later on in the course though, but it is vastly different from GCSE. The most important stuff from GCSE is probably the basic algebra manipulation, such as quadratics, simplifying fractions, finding gradients, rearranging equations, surds and indices, etc. If you do decide to do A-level maths, you should probably go over this stuff from GCSE over the summer - just so you know you're at least on par with the A* students.

Needless to say, you'll need to be prepared to work hard. It's definitely possible to get an A if you don't have "natural maths ability". In terms of getting help with questions, TSR is a great place to ask. The few times I've asked for help, I got it almost immediately, and most of the time, at a better quality than my school can offer.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10

Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same position as you. My teacher told me that it would be best if i did not do it. Only because, getting an A in maths doesnt come naturally to me aswell and I have to work for it. He told me that alot of his students who got A* and As at GCSE are struggling very much to pass in Alevel, and he is an amazing teacher. He said that when you start you wont be able to get the grades, which would just knock your confidence and motivation.

One the other hand, I think that its better to get a C in a level maths, compared to and A or B in a subject like photography. I'm not sure exactly how hard passing is in a level, but if your not expecting a grade like A, why not try to pass and then drop it in the 2nd year. But its best to talk to your maths teacher, they will know if you will cope.

BTW, did you find the non-calc paper for maths hard? everyone in my year fond it SOOOO hard. i'm hoping they lower the grade boundries this year.
I actually saw some statistics correlating GCSE grade to GCE grade for maths, but I can't remember where right now.

From memory (and these are 'conservative' estimates - that is, I think the accurate figures are significantly worse):

If you did not get an A* at GCSE, it is unlikely you will get an A at A-level.
If you got below an A, it is unlikely you will get a C or better at A-level.

From the information you've given, I'd have to say it's quite unlikely you would get an A at A-level.
If you only got a B at GCSE, then I think you will not get an A in A level maths. Yes, your maths department may be bad, but that is further reason why they're not going to give you the support you need to do well at A level, especially if you're not a 'maths person.'

Thanks in advance.

If you have worked hard and are likely to get a B at GCSE then logic would dictate that you are unlikely to to get A or even a B at A-level (needless to say there are exceptions).
A few years back a large scale research project was carried out and grades were Mapped from GCSE to A-level based on the Data.

It went something like

Gcse maps to A-level
A*...............A* / A
A ...................B
B....................D
C....................E
Original post by DFranklin
I actually saw some statistics correlating GCSE grade to GCE grade for maths, but I can't remember where right now.

From memory (and these are 'conservative' estimates - that is, I think the accurate figures are significantly worse):

If you did not get an A* at GCSE, it is unlikely you will get an A at A-level.
If you got below an A, it is unlikely you will get a C or better at A-level.

From the information you've given, I'd have to say it's quite unlikely you would get an A at A-level.

I believe Durham University did such a project a few years back.

Thanks in advance.

I got an A in GCSE Maths and then got an A in Maths and Further Maths A-levels OP. It can be done! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm not a Math person either (I bloody well hate the subject), and I did badly at it at first, but after struggling for some time and putting in tons of effort to study and practice, my grades improved a lot. Unless you're really bad at Math, I think the more pressing question is : Are you prepared to work really hard for it?
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
A few years back a large scale research project was carried out and grades were Mapped from GCSE to A-level based on the Data.

It went something like

Gcse maps to A-level
A*...............A* / A
A ...................B
B....................D
C....................E
I'm pretty sure it was actually a lot bleaker than that. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people with a C or worse at GCSE will fail (or drop out) at A-level.
It depends how hard you will be willing to work. Especially at A2, AS is not much of a jump from GCSE (imo). But if you are not gifted at maths then I'd suggest you shouldn't do a subject you will not enjoy and do not excel at.
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
If you have worked hard and are likely to get a B at GCSE then logic would dictate that you are unlikely to to get A or even a B at A-level (needless to say there are exceptions).

It went something like

Gcse maps to A-level
A*...............A* / A
A ...................B
B....................D
C....................E

I think "B's" need to be categorised better too, as I know many people who will just scrape a B after weeks of hard revision. Whereas there are others who are extremely disappointed with a B and revised for just a day or two but will not make the same mistake again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending