The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2240
Original post by Muffinz
On an average day I'll struggle to hit 1200 unless I eat a cake or something :s-smilie: I don't eat a lot of carbs because my shots can get very painful and I don't snack because I'll have to take shots and it's a hassle...

Had another bowl of cereal this evening if that helps...

So I should be having 1200 minimum and then eat whatever I work off while exercising? so say 1200-300+300?

Shots? Are you diabetic or something? If so I would definately recommend forming any diet plan in conjuction with a nutritionist or at least GP.

But 1200 calories is easy to eat. If carbs are a problem then up your fat intake or something.
Original post by Jake22
Shots? Are you diabetic or something? If so I would definately recommend forming any diet plan in conjuction with a nutritionist or at least GP.

But 1200 calories is easy to eat. If carbs are a problem then up your fat intake or something.

I'm type 1 diabetic, yes. I've been put on metformin (a t2 anti-insulin-resistance drug) and my blood sugars have been spiralling out of control for months and I'm finally doing something about it...

As far as I'm aware with my diabetes, as long as I'm having carbs with meals and taking my rapid-acting and long-acting insulins and keeping my sugars in check there shouldn't be any problems. With t1 they pretty much say "eat what you want and vary your insulin to cover it" so I could do pretty much anything everyone else does really...
gonna try and limit processed food including no bread, pasta[maybe brown now and again but trying to cut out sugar], limit white foods etc. :biggrin:
Original post by -jessica
Thank you :smile:

I've booked an appointment with my GP for next week, but its going to be really difficult for me to even bring it up. I don't want to have an eating disorder and I don't want to be told that I have one :frown:

I probably went overboard last week, I must have eaten thousands of calories more per day than I ever have, even before dieting. I've stopped weighing things and I deleted my myfitnesspal account. I still just dont understand because my legs for example right now look so much bigger than in this photo. Surely vision cant be that distorted? :/

Would it help to write down your concerns so that you can hand that to your GP if you're worried about bringing it up? Or even just keep a list of bullet points with you in case you need some reminding on the day.

Sometimes I think because people spend so long actually looking at their bodies sometimes (especially when dieting) that you become over-concerned with tiny little things that probably aren't anything at all in reality. I think part of the problems you're having probably stem from that, because you're worrying so much about whether or not you're an ok weight or whether you look 'bigger' compared to photos that you're focusing on every tiny detail. Whereas when you look at somebody else you wouldn't do that at all.

Either way, you are doing the right thing by speaking to your GP - even if just so that they can keep an eye on it or help you find a meal plan that you're comfortable with that means you're getting the right intake and not overcompensating with exercise or worrying about what you're eating. Healthy living should be enjoyable, it shouldn't be something that's making you unhappy. x
I think some of you may have been right about me, but I'm so confused :frown:

On one hand I weigh 7.5 stone and my bmi is apparently underweight, so I decided last week to start eating a lot more and gaining weight after I found out people have been talking about how much weight I lost and if i have an ED.

On the other, I look in the mirror and don't see skinny at all and I'm scared that I'll gain all the way back to what I was.

I want to want to gain weight, I really do, but its so hard. Don't know what to do :frown:

You've probably lost muscle along with water and fat. Which is why you're unsatisfied with your appearance despite the low number on the scale. Eat at maintenance calories or above and make sure you're eating at least 105g protein a day. Combine that with a proper resistance routine (deadlift, squat, lunges, pressups, pullups etc) and your body fat percentage will decrease whilst maintaining your weight :smile: And you'll look much leaner!
So I figured I'd update about my own situation too (not that I post here all that much anyways).

My mum died on the evening of 29th August, my lovely beautiful wonderful mummy. She's had terminal cancer for 17 months, stopped treatment on Friday 26th, but things just deteriorated really rapidly on the Sunday and Monday, ambulance and rapid response vehicle came and we went to A&E (couldn't go to hospice because of not being medically stable), and a couple of hours later it was over. It was such a shock, nobody was expecting it for a couple of months yet.

So being 'healthy' has kind of taken a backseat right now, I guess my goals have changed. I'm trying at the moment just to keep us in a regular eating pattern, but I have kickboxing 3x a week and on some nights I'm training from 6:30 - 10pm, so I'm never quite sure what to do with eating afterwards. But at the moment just eating enough is a positive thing.

Our next kickboxing gradings are in October, I'm aiming to get my green belt if I do it. Kickboxing is a good motivation in my life, especially at the moment - it's too easy sometimes to just want to shut down and stop functioning, but training's giving me somewhere to go and just do something for a little while, and our coach has just said to go and sit down there if I want even if I don't want to train. So I am trying to be healthy...mentally as well as physically I guess. Grading will be horrible if I do it - it was a big thing for me that I wanted to do to make my mum proud.

But it's a good thing to aim towards anyway I guess, a reasonably short-term goal and it's a reason to keep training and getting up and doing something. I'm not really practising enough at home at the moment (didn't feel like doing anything at all today, so the only exercise I've done is walk into town, and I don't feel like doing anything tomorrow either). So that's my goal at the moment, although October seems a hell of a long way away at the moment, I can barely look past the next few days at the moment, can't even imagine how I'll feel then. But it's worth aiming towards at least.

I know this isn't really about dieting or 'healthy new you'...but kickboxing is pretty important to me at the moment, and I do need something to keep me trying to be motivated and trying to achieve something.
I think some of you may have been right about me, but I'm so confused :frown:

On one hand I weigh 7.5 stone and my bmi is apparently underweight, so I decided last week to start eating a lot more and gaining weight after I found out people have been talking about how much weight I lost and if i have an ED.

On the other, I look in the mirror and don't see skinny at all and I'm scared that I'll gain all the way back to what I was.

I want to want to gain weight, I really do, but its so hard. Don't know what to do :frown:

Hey, I was wondering what happened to you. I don't really post on here this often, but your posts really stuck out as potentially having some kind of problem. I think it would be a really good idea for you to speak to your GP, like the above poster said. Just going for a chat and some advice doesn't mean you have an eating disorder at all, but they can guide you in the right direction about how you can change your eating habits.

Have you spoken to your mum or a close friend about how you feel? Perhaps they could go to the GP with you, if it would make things easier?
Reply 2247
Original post by tnetennba
You've probably lost muscle along with water and fat. Which is why you're unsatisfied with your appearance despite the low number on the scale. Eat at maintenance calories or above and make sure you're eating at least 105g protein a day. Combine that with a proper resistance routine (deadlift, squat, lunges, pressups, pullups etc) and your body fat percentage will decrease whilst maintaining your weight :smile: And you'll look much leaner!

I can't make sure I have 105g protein because I've stopped logging my food, I was obsessing too much over it. I actually think my body looks okay now its just not the same body that is in photos - that body looks too skinny. The gap between my thighs looks twice as big as it does in the mirror. I never wanted to look like that. I am definitely at some point going to start doing that kind of routine, I really want to get stronger.

Original post by tabbycat1
Hey, I was wondering what happened to you. I don't really post on here this often, but your posts really stuck out as potentially having some kind of problem. I think it would be a really good idea for you to speak to your GP, like the above poster said. Just going for a chat and some advice doesn't mean you have an eating disorder at all, but they can guide you in the right direction about how you can change your eating habits.

Have you spoken to your mum or a close friend about how you feel? Perhaps they could go to the GP with you, if it would make things easier?

I think I've been fooling myself into thinking I'm fine when I'm not. I've been obsessing over nutrition and calories and I would eat the exact same foods all the time, and would always weigh everything to the exact gram. I don't think I have an eating disorder but something isn't right.

Something happened this week which really changed me, sounds silly and wish I could phrase it differently but its true. I'm not going to lie to myself anymore. I want to just enjoy life and not worry so much about my weight - I never used to.

My problem now is that I really look so much different in the mirror than in photos and I just don't understand how that's possible. I know I need to talk to someone about it but its so hard to actually do :frown:

Sorry for bringing such a downer to this thread - the rest of you are doing so well and staying healthy.
Off to starbucks with some friends today, but hot chocolate and lattes etc were probably what caused me to gain the weight in the first place >_< I have managed to completely avoid them since starting my healthier lifestyle and I don't want to become pulled in again!

Anyone know of any drinks in starbucks that aren't so high in calories/dairy/sugar? How about their blended juices?
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
gonna try and limit processed food including no bread, pasta[maybe brown now and again but trying to cut out sugar], limit white foods etc. :biggrin:

(Y) I'm trying to stick to wholemeal bread, wholegrain pasta and brown rice :biggrin:
Reply 2250
Does anyone know how accurate these online BMR calculators are?/
They only ever ask for weight, height and age, without body fat % or muscle mass or whatever.

I'd have thought that muscle mass would be one of the most important thing in accurately estimating BMR, given that a kilo of muscle burns 20-30kcals per day, even when at rest, when a kilo of fat burns nothing.

3 extra kilos of muscle would mean an extra 100kcals being burned :confused:
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
Off to starbucks with some friends today, but hot chocolate and lattes etc were probably what caused me to gain the weight in the first place >_< I have managed to completely avoid them since starting my healthier lifestyle and I don't want to become pulled in again!

Anyone know of any drinks in starbucks that aren't so high in calories/dairy/sugar? How about their blended juices?

Herbal teas would probably be your best bet. I'm exactly the same as you, I think frequent take-away lattes and hot chocolates were a big part of why I gained weight. I've now given up coffee altogether and only have hot chocolate as a treat. I mainly just drink normal tea/herbal tea, which after a bit of getting used to is, totally fine.
Original post by tabbycat1
Herbal teas would probably be your best bet. I'm exactly the same as you, I think frequent take-away lattes and hot chocolates were a big part of why I gained weight. I've now given up coffee altogether and only have hot chocolate as a treat. I mainly just drink normal tea/herbal tea, which after a bit of getting used to is, totally fine.

thanks! I'll give the herbal teas a go :biggrin:
Original post by Muffinz
Opted for the salad option at work today and refused to snack - net calories of 663 today with my 45 mins of wii fit :smile: Very pleased with myself!

Finishing my summer job on saturday and thinking about getting 2 or 3 seshes at the gym in before I leave for uni :smile:

EDIT: Why did I get negged for this :frown:

You probably got negged because you're not eating anywhere near enough!
When I was on the alternate day diet (briefly, it sucks, not promoting it in any way), I was eating 650 cals per day and I felt crap! Couldn't function properly and couldn't plan anything for my "down days" as I knew that I couldn't survive if I did!

Should eat at least 1,200 net, which is double what you're eating now. If this is a one off then don't worry about it, but if that's the kind of amount you're aiming for every day then obviously it's not good.
Just tried one of Jillian Michaels' latest releases (don't know if it's out in the UK yet.. shh!) 'Ripped in 30' - week one. It was MUCH harder than the 30 Day Shred, but maybe that's because I'm not used to some of the exercises. Definitely feel like I've had a good workout!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Going to C&P the blog I've just posted:

"As I was looking at clothes online last night, it took me back to a time long gone. I was searching for dresses in a size 14, but I've been there before. When I was 11.

Most girls that age would be looking through children's sections in shops, yet there I was, preparing for my primary school "prom", having to wear clothes that even women twice my age would feel fat in.

I didn't go in the end. Another potentially amazing memory, ruined by my weight. Nor did I go to my Y11 prom. Or my Y13 prom. The next stage is graduation, and I'm determined to be in a decent size by then. I just have to be.

I never really had much hope for my own weight. Mum used to tell me that I'd "never be skinny" because I had the same shape as her. As strange as this sounds, I just took her word for that because, underneath all the flab, I couldn't tell what shape I had. I was fat way before puberty so never saw my shape.

Mum has never been smaller than a size 16. She doesn't look fat, but is the dictionary definition of "big boned". I've seen the photos of her on her wedding day, on which she was apparently a size 16. She looked stunning, however her telling me that I would never be smaller than that just broke my heart; because I so wanted to be able to go into a shop and buy something nice with my friends.

Now, eight years on, I'm a size 14 again. At age 20, this is much more accepted than when I was 11, and more to the point it's proved Mum wrong. Throughout this journey, it's been exciting to see what shape has been hiding underneath the flab, and I can confirm that I'm not the same shape as Mum at all. This excites me because I now know that I can be a size 14, because I am one. Judging by the amount of flab still around my stomach and hips, I should also be able to make it to a size 12. Size 10 might be too much to ask, but I'm not ruling it out. I still have several stones to lose before I reach my goal weight, and who knows where that might take me."

I've not been on the forum for a while so I'm a few days behind. Love the post as it sounds like a very similar story to me.

I also missed year 11 & 6th Form prom also. My mum's side of the family are overweight and I was told that I would always be big and got to the point after a failed diet that I was always gonna be big and that I will never be slim. However I wanted to lose the weigh so bad and could not give up and thefore last year got to the point that I was so fed up that I have to either do something about it or stop complaining and accept being fat. However I couldn't do the latter and decided to the former.

Before I was unable to buy jeans from any normal store at all as none of them fit and always wore skirts and buy clothes that other young girls my age are able to wear. Now I am constantly in topshop (a shop I never even dare to go to) and now currently wear between sizes 8-12.

I know that size 10 might seem impossible but you never know. Just keep going and to all those who think being overweight is a permanent thing nothing is permanent and if I can do it all of us can do it too
Original post by Nut.
They only ever ask for weight, height and age, without body fat % or muscle mass or whatever.

I'd have thought that muscle mass would be one of the most important thing in accurately estimating BMR, given that a kilo of muscle burns 20-30kcals per day, even when at rest, when a kilo of fat burns nothing.

Its not completley accurate as as you rightly said it depends on the individual. However it is there to give a rough guide as to how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. However it is not too far off

The best way to determine how much calories you need is through trial and error
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33898068']M&S also do a 'fuller longer' range for lunches, which is great for keeping you going - the chicken and chorizo flatbread is lovely, and only about 350 cals IIRC.

Weigh in this morning - I've lost 0.5lb.

Slightly disappointed as I'd hoped for more, but it's definitely better than a gain. It's 'that time of the month' at the moment, so that probably doesn't help. Plus, considering the amount I've been to the gym, I'm hoping I've put on a teeny bit of muscle.

Totally forgot that M & S do such lunches. Keep going to Boots during my lunch break which is getting a bit boring so might go to M & S instead and get something else for a change.
I just made myself a really satisfying lunch :smile:
Wholewheat pasta carbonara! Made with 2 slices of wafer thin ham instead of bacon (which I browned in a dry frying pan) one egg, a splash of skimmed milk and 8g of parmesan cheese. Clocked up at around 400 calories. What a difference it makes to not add cream! Still tasted delicious.
Reply 2259
Original post by Nut.

Good point. I'd say that it is good to have a starting figure - even if it is slightly flawed and then you can adjust from there based on the results you get.

The multipliers for how active you are are a really crude measure anyway - making for even more discrepancies than the ones you mentioned.

Latest