The Student Room Group

Nurse V Paramedic

I am a student and will be applying for university this September. For several years I have always had an ambition of becoming a Nurse. This ambition led me to carry out work experience on an elderly patient ward last year which I really enjoyed. Since then, I have joined St John Ambulance as a first aider and have also carried out work experience in a minor injuries unit (MIU). I still have a massive passion for Nursing, but also have my mind set on becoming a paramedic. I am now VERY unsure as to whether to apply for nursing, paramedical science or BOTH?

I need advice and opinions...help.:confused:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't really provide an informed answer but IMHO being a paramedic is much more interesting and engaging than helping old ladies and administering medication.
Reply 2
Original post by stefyx

Original post by stefyx
I can't really provide an informed answer but IMHO being a paramedic is much more interesting and engaging than helping old ladies and administering medication.

What do you mean by IMHO?

Yes that's what I think. Although what I find interesting within Nursing is that I can see a patient going through a procedure or illness-treatment-recovery. Don't suppose you have any information on what course to take at uni if I were to chose paramedic? Is it best do to the full degree or just the foundation degree? (Only about 5 unis actually offer the full degree these days?!)
Reply 3
Original post by harrietj
What do you mean by IMHO?

Yes that's what I think. Although what I find interesting within Nursing is that I can see a patient going through a procedure or illness-treatment-recovery. Don't suppose you have any information on what course to take at uni if I were to chose paramedic? Is it best do to the full degree or just the foundation degree? (Only about 5 unis actually offer the full degree these days?!)

In My Humble Opinion
Unfortunately I have no idea about courses or requirements for becoming a paramedic. I'm not even from the UK
Google?
May I suggest
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Becoming_a_Paramedic
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=routes+to+becoming+a+paramedic+uk&btnK=Google+Search
Reply 4
Original post by stefyx

You're right, you can't really provide an informed answer. There's a lot more to nursing than just helping old ladies and administering medication.
an interesting conundrum let's bust some myths first

Paramedics do not have 'more autonomy' - it's all illusory
- Paramedics are monitored minute to minute by lay management thanks to AVLS
- Despite JRCALC being guidelines, the clinical governance people in trusts and the HPC view them as protocols and deviation is used against paramedics on a routine basis ...

Paramedics do not have 'more skills' many nurses have 'more skills' if you want to play pissing contests over psychomotor skills - Intubation is a rarely used skill and there questions if it should remain a core paramedic skill vs supraglottic airways and/or more targetted use of a limited number of practitioners who have more highly developed airway management skills, cannulation is a skill which increasing number of RNs undertake and in Acute and emergency care settings the RNs are often doing more venepunctures/ cannulations that paramedics do - especially as 'prophylactic' cannulation in the field is deprecated due to infection control reasons...

Professional development opportunities for paramedics remain poor, especially with he ORCON fixated failure of many ECP schemes - some services do not encourage staff to develop their practice - where extending and expanding roles in Nursing are the norm if not an expectation...

There are limited opportunites for paramedics outside the Ambulance service , especially if you want a regular income .

it's not all blue lights and saving lives ... there are many 999 calls which are Total Wastes of Ambulance Time , meanwhile genuinely poorly patients are being seen by middle tier staff as 'urgents' and Cat C emergencies are not an ORCON priority, until they time out ...
Reply 6
I'm afraid you are going to have to choose which profession you want. Both nurse and paramedic admission teachers will not look at personal statements that are not fully focused on their subject.

Personally I do not know much about nursing but I believe it is a similar job role in different environment. I prefer the paramedic career as it involves travelling, is 'outside' and you get to be the senior clinician at many scenes.

Both are very noble careers, good luck.
Reply 7
Hi, I had that problem when i applied last year for uni. In the end i decided to go for nursing, as for paramedic you need to be able to have your class c license for driving which you cant get till you are 21. So i though of applying for nursing then in years to come to go into paramedic.
Reply 8
Original post by fox1993
Hi, I had that problem when i applied last year for uni. In the end i decided to go for nursing, as for paramedic you need to be able to have your class c license for driving which you cant get till you are 21. So i though of applying for nursing then in years to come to go into paramedic.

It's class C1 you need before most ambulance services will employ you - you can get this when you're 18 years old.
Reply 9
I am a student and will be applying for university this September. For several years I have always had an ambition of becoming a Nurse. This ambition led me to carry out work experience on an elderly patient ward last year which I really enjoyed. Since then, I have joined St John Ambulance as a first aider and have also carried out work experience in a minor injuries unit (MIU). I still have a massive passion for Nursing, but also have my mind set on becoming a paramedic. I am now VERY unsure as to whether to apply for nursing, paramedical science or BOTH?

I need advice and opinions...help.:confused:

Go for Nursing ;].
Reply 10
I like the idea of going out with the 'crew' when being a paramedic and treating someone there and then. Whereas being a nurse you cannot treat someone until it's been authorized by a doctor...etc. MMMHHHH!!!!!!!!
Reply 11
I like the idea of going out with the 'crew' when being a paramedic and treating someone there and then. Whereas being a nurse you cannot treat someone until it's been authorized by a doctor...etc. MMMHHHH!!!!!!!!

Wrong.
Reply 12

Rubbish.

There are loads of areas where nurses work indepenently, you say youve been in a MIU, did the nurses not work independently of the medical staff? They usually do. You have ENP's in A&E who can diagnose and treat in most A&E departments, a patient can come in and leave without even being seen by a doctor.
Reply 13
Original post by Hito
Wrong.

Original post by moonkatt
Rubbish.

There are loads of areas where nurses work indepenently, you say youve been in a MIU, did the nurses not work independently of the medical staff? They usually do. You have ENP's in A&E who can diagnose and treat in most A&E departments, a patient can come in and leave without even being seen by a doctor.

Nurses do work independently in MIU, yes. But on hospital wards where i suspect 90% of my placement work will be spent Nurses actually do work alongside doctors. Having said how much I loved the work I carried out in MIU, I must admit that getting a job in MIU or A+E once qualified is going to be extremely hard as the NHS are continuously making cuts.

ANY HOW! Big up for Nurses and Paramedics - they're both amazing and worthwhile careers!!
Reply 14
I must admit that getting a job in MIU or A+E once qualified is going to be extremely hard as the NHS are continuously making cuts.

If you are good enough, you can get a job anywhere you want.
Reply 15
Original post by Hito
If you are good enough, you can get a job anywhere you want.

DISAGREE! You cannot get a job if there are NO jobs?!?! Just because you're a top Nurse and known for it the NHS aren't just going to pluck up a job for you - realistically.
Reply 16
DISAGREE! You cannot get a job if there are NO jobs?!?! Just because you're a top Nurse and known for it the NHS aren't just going to pluck up a job for you - realistically.

There are always jobs :tongue:.
Reply 17

There are jobs about, most the people I know who have finished have got jobs as staff nurses. People just need to be a wee bit more flexible. Jobs regularly come up in areas like a&e and itu as staff move about quite a bit from place to place.

oh really ?

when i worked in the Emergency Department or on AAU the following would be routinely done by Triage / Assessment Qualified RNs before the patient saw a Doctor or Nurse practitioner

- Full assessment including all indicated observations
- Anaglesia within the scope of the PGDs
- in the ED Appropriate imaging requesting in limb injuries or for any Foreign body that can be imaged on plain film
- Bloods taken and Cannulation if clinically indicated
- Pregnancy testing if indicated
- Urinary catheterisation if clinically indicated ( and the definitive treatment for acute retention)
- ALS / 'ATLS' intereventions as clinically indicated

even working on a 'ordinary' ( if extraordinary due to being a regional tertiary service) ward the same expectations are there for pretty much the same kinds of interventions in an emergent situation.

the key point is that Nurses work as part of the MDT with Doctors, pharmacists, HPC professionals ... and that we do not contrary to the assertions of the ignorant have to wait for the almighty Doctor to give an Order ...

in terms of 'cuts' Unscheduled care is an area which will continue to grow and have resources spent on it as many of the problems with bed occupancy are related yo the poor acute medicine services to back up the Emergency Departments - leaving patients who have to be admitted thanks to the 4-hour target languishing on AAU or as an outlier while acute medicine catches up ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by moonkatt
There are jobs about, most the people I know who have finished have got jobs as staff nurses. People just need to be a wee bit more flexible. Jobs regularly come up in areas like a&e and itu as staff move about quite a bit from place to place.

Yes there are always jobs about for Nurses as Nursing is a never ending profession. I would be extremely willing to be flexible as well. Someone I know graduated as a Nurse and worked on an elderly patient ward for a year before getting her job in A+E. I guess this comes with the degree! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest