The Student Room Group

Can't get into Oblivion

So got nothing much to do over the summer now i have finished my a-levels, most of my friends seem to love oblivion even though its an oldish game now, however i just can't get into it.

I play xbox 360 and have a wide variety of games ranging from fallout 3 to F1 2010 and love them all apart from oblivion. Anyone else experience this? Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

What don't you like about it?

It might be the generic high fantasy setting or the open world? Oblivion does thrust you into the world and then say 'Do what you like' which, I've noticed, with some people is a problem as they prefer more linear structures. But then you seem to love Fallout 3 which is similar. I would recommend abandoning the main quest as that is the weaker aspect of the game and taking part in the side quests. Most notably, The Dark Brotherhood. Those side-quests are fantastic and might do a good job of getting you into the game.

When it first came out, I remember just coming out of the dungeon and just admiring the gorgeous visuals (because at the time, it was probably the best looking RPG). I then proceeded to kill a few people, loot some houses, hold my own against some guards and did some of the main quest. But ultimately, the best part was just the side quests like the Dark Brotherhood, Mage's Guild and Thieves' Guild.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by NWA

I play xbox 360

I think I see your problem....
Reply 3
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

It might be the generic high fantasy setting or the open world? Oblivion does thrust you into the world and then say 'Do what you like' which, I've noticed, with some people is a problem as they prefer more linear structures. But then you seem to love Fallout 3 which is similar. I would recommend abandoning the main quest as that is the weaker aspect of the game and taking part in the side quests. Most notably, The Dark Brotherhood. Those side-quests are fantastic and might do a good job of getting you into the game.

When it first came out, I remember just coming out of the dungeon and just admiring the gorgeous visuals (because at the time, it was probably the best looking RPG). I then proceeded to kill a few people, loot some houses, hold my own against some guards and did some of the main quest. But ultimately, the best part was just the side quests like the Dark Brotherhood, Mage's Guild and Thieves' Guild.

OK cool, thanks for the advice! Gunna give the side quests ago.
Reply 4
Derfel makes a valid point you can do so much more with Oblivion on the PC because of all the available mods, so I would definitely recommend looking into that if it's a possibility. Otherwise, avoiding the main quest is a fine idea and will get you far. :smile:
It's quite an old game now. At it's peak it was one of the most involving games out there, but I'd argue that games like Dragon's Age and Fallout have eclipsed it now.

Put down Oblivion and wait for Skyrim which releases in a few months.
Reply 6

I will rep you when I can. Absolutely right.

Oblivion is my favourite game - the theme is perfect, I love the openness of the world. If you want to skip the main quest for a little while it's all good - I spend hours just walking through the woods for crying out loud.

Amazing game - I loved the Dark Brotherhood/Black Hand quest series. Absolutely loved them.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by JohnnytheFox
It's quite an old game now. At it's peak it was one of the most involving games out there, but I'd argue that games like Dragon's Age and Fallout have eclipsed it now.

I'm going to get that, this is just something to do during the summer on rainy/boring days, i'm not bothered that its old really, just wanted to give it a go
Reply 8
Original post by Derfel
I think I see your problem....

Haha so true.

Original post by JohnnytheFox

I don't agree. Even though it is getting dated, it's still a fantastic game. Even now I am more than happy to play Oblivion - although I cannot wait for Skyrim.
Original post by NWA
So got nothing much to do over the summer now i have finished my a-levels, most of my friends seem to love oblivion even though its an oldish game now, however i just can't get into it.

I play xbox 360 and have a wide variety of games ranging from fallout 3 to F1 2010 and love them all apart from oblivion. Anyone else experience this? Any tips?

get the PC version and MOD it up to '11 standards. console versions are **** compared to modded PC version!

Don't do what this guy did when he couldn't get into a game.
Reply 11
One of these summers I'm going to spend a good month or two to muscling through this game. I've never committed any sizeable amount of time to it since purchasing it a year ago.

One thing that irks me though, and may have deterred me from aforementioned committal, is the interaction with NPCs. Is it me, or are the facial visuals really lacklustre? Plus the 'wheel-of-options' used for dialogue got old about five minutes after I left the dungeon. And the fighting system is a bit ungainly. Of course these flaws are somewhat offset by the huge variety, the stunning landscapes, and so on.
Reply 12
Original post by ritchie888

That's a person :confused:
Reply 13

Trust me i'm not that bothered.
Original post by Teaddict
I will rep you when I can. Absolutely right.

Oblivion is my favourite game - the theme is perfect, I love the openness of the world. If you want to skip the main quest for a little while it's all good - I spend hours just walking through the woods for crying out loud.

Amazing game - I loved the Dark Brotherhood/Black Hand quest series. Absolutely loved them.

Spoiler

Absolutely! Best part of Oblivion is just the exploration and discovering all the hidden things like that unicorn. :gah: It does a good job in making you want to wander aimlessly around the land.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Teaddict
That's a person :confused:

Reminds me of an angry squirrel, frothing at the mouth because some other squirrel stole it's nut.
Reply 16
Absolutely! Best part of Oblivion is just the exploration and discovering all the hidden things like that unicorn. :gah: It does a good job in making you want to wander aimlessly around the land.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reminds me of an angry squirrel, frothing at the mouth because some other squirrel stole it's nut.

haha
Skyrim will have the following

Fighters Guild
Mages Guild
Thieves Guild
Dark Brotherhood
Arena

We await for this game...clearly going to be one of the most popular games of the year!

For me, no game has realistically impressed me when including dragons...I have a feeling this is going to be the first one!

11/11/11...HURRY UP!
Reply 18
I never got past what you might describe as the tutorial phase. I went through the introduction with the king, which was fine for an introduction. Then I went through some passages in linear fashion, which was kind of alright except I'd already done the bit with the king, and there were quite a lot of passages. Then I got to the end of them and got to decide what my class was etc. This would have been endurable, but then I was cast off into more passages. At this stage I really felt that I couldn't be bothered any more and gave up. I've spent enough of my life trying to get through the Runescape tutorial, and Oblivion was the only game I have ever come across that is comparable.
Reply 19
Original post by NWA

Had this exact problem, i'd call myself a pretty hardcore gamer but i just didn't like Oblivion that much. Flashy graphics but a weak story, i just didn't really feel involved in it if you know what i mean. I felt it was just too open ended. Its the same reason i disliked Far Cry 2.

Quick Reply

Latest