The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not really sure what you mean exactly? But, if you talk to The Princes Trust they can enrol you in some free courses and offer you support (a personal adviser/mentor) in terms of advice and things while you get set up.

That is presuming you're talking about starting a business?
Reply 2
I can't think of anything like this. You just need to develop a strong support network of friends and family members. I am talking from experience as I have previously ran my own business. Also, having a business partner that you can talk to can be a big help as they also know what you're going through.
Reply 3
Original post by Gutcruncher
I.e. self-employment where you get support and help, someone to speak too if it it too stressful to cope with alone?

I don't want to be self-employed and I wouldn't be able to cope, but if there's an alternative which offers support that would be worth looking at.

I am too struggling to see what you are getting at.

Can you be more specific.
Reply 4
Original post by OSI
I am too struggling to see what you are getting at.

Can you be more specific.

In 'normal' self-employment, you are 100% on your own. I would not be able to manage that at all.

What I called 'supported' self-employment, you'd get help and support regularly from somewhere, looking after the bills, dealing with the situation and so forth. That would more suitable, if it exists.
Reply 5
Supported would be someone helping you to run a business; wouldnt that be called a business partner??
Reply 6
No, something different to that. Hence, supported self-employment.
what kind of thing do you want to do? perhaps you find someone else to do the same thing with you and they help you with things you cant do?
Reply 8
Maybe. I've got no idea what I'd so self-employed, to be honest. Don't have any skills or qualifications that would lend themselves to it.
i depends whether you have money to invest or not. If you dont then you are limited to selling your knowledge or skills, if you have a degree or a levels you could tutor others in those skills for examples
:redface:
I.e. self-employment where you get support and help, someone to speak too if it it too stressful to cope with alone?

I don't want to be self-employed and I wouldn't be able to cope, but if there's an alternative which offers support that would be worth looking at.

This is what's wrong with the education system in Britain.
Reply 11
Original post by aliasunknown
i depends whether you have money to invest or not. If you dont then you are limited to selling your knowledge or skills, if you have a degree or a levels you could tutor others in those skills for examples

Hmm, no money or savings, to be honest. Not sure about tutoring as I can barely remember my A-levels or degree taught content.
Reply 12
Why dont you ask the job centre for support for the business, if they dont know ask someone else who works there.
Hmm, no money or savings, to be honest. Not sure about tutoring as I can barely remember my A-levels or degree taught content.

Yeah i dont have savings either, i really want to own my own cafe but thats a few years off yet! What other skills you could offer? Are you good with computers for example? People are always wanting help removing viruses and stuff so you could do that maybe. Or can you paint and decorate? You could set something up like that. My advise would be try and find something that you can do then tell us all and we will try and think of places you can go for advice.
Reply 14
No, no "real" computer skills apart from the basics, no real expertise to sell there. Never done painting or decoration to be honest.
Reply 15
so what can you do; what are you good at?
Reply 16
I have a degree 2:1 and 3 A grade A-levels. I am not sure. I do not have an qualifications aimed towards self employment like a "trade" and have no means to afford to get any as I already have Level 3 qualifications and therefore do not qualify for free courses, unless of course there are employers wh provide free courses to employees as part of the work.
Reply 17
forget qualifications for one moment; when starting a new business they mean relatively little.
What can you do well; or deem yourself to do well at. There is something everyone is good at.

For example, one my skills/strengths would be the ability to make PCs; a more abstract skill would be, being able to manage a project effectively.

Take some time to actually think about it and list the things you are good at then come back and tell us. You will be surprised.
Reply 18
Nothing that I would have the ability to work self-employed as, I can't make PCs or project manage, for example. I don't want to be a fraud and pretend I can do things when I can't.
Reply 19
There IS something you are good at. It doesnt have to be what I said it can be anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending