The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToH12
lancaster would be my first choice. and i was thinking of durham second choice and still am :s-smilie: ah well i've applied now

i just heard there was a LOT of knife crime around nottingham

anyway you never answered my question about stockton/middlesborough? why the dislike? plus visting all the uni's is kinda outta the question saying as i live in northern ireland :ashamed2:

True Nottingham has a lot of crime, but from what I've heard from friends who are currently there, it doesn't affect them because it's largely a campus uni and so you rarely ever go into the rough areas which are dangerous. You could go the whole 3 years without ever going into the bad areas on Nottingham.
Plus Nottingham is known for having one of the best student night lives in the UK - and from what I've seen and heard it sure does live up to that reputation.

I'd say you'd enjoy it a lot, but the course is BA so I'm not how much employers will like that :s-smilie:
Reply 381
Original post by ToH12
i have to get the plane/ boat to any of my choices :frown: I'm from northern ireland and half of my school is going to queens in belfast and i really didnt want to be goin with them, so i'm goin to england or scotland. Distance doesnt bother me i hope to move to america at some stage after uni :rolleyes: so the move to england will be like a stepping stone (at least thats what i hope :redface:)

Anyway, back to topic :wink: what would be your first choice if you got offers from them all?

Ah yeah, how many times would you be likely to travel home to NI when your at uni then? I'm just thinking that 9hrs there and back probably in a car for the majority of the trips due to the stuff that i'll be carrying (at the start and end of each year) although I have seen flights up to aberdeen (RGU) for about £140 for a return.

I think (havent applied yet) my first choice is probably going to be Exeter, if I fail to get an offer from them then it'll be Lancaster , then Durham. Although in the back of my head I keep considering which two to choose from; Exeter, Bham, Nott, Lboro and Lancaster. Really cant decide !

Original post by Confused101

I'd say you'd enjoy it a lot, but the course is BA so I'm not how much employers will like that :s-smilie:

From what i've read I'm still really not sure about BSc/BA, do employers definitely prefer BSc then?
Well BSc is more highly regarded due to it being more mathematical and quantitative...so it makes sense I guess.
Reply 383
Original post by gtcalder
Ah yeah, how many times would you be likely to travel home to NI when your at uni then? I'm just thinking that 9hrs there and back probably in a car for the majority of the trips due to the stuff that i'll be carrying (at the start and end of each year) although I have seen flights up to aberdeen (RGU) for about £140 for a return.

I think (havent applied yet) my first choice is probably going to be Exeter, if I fail to get an offer from them then it'll be Lancaster , then Durham. Although in the back of my head I keep considering which two to choose from; Exeter, Bham, Nott, Lboro and Lancaster. Really cant decide !

From what i've read I'm still really not sure about BSc/BA, do employers definitely prefer BSc then?

I'll only be goin home at christmas and summer, possibly over easter depends how long i'm off for. Going there at the start we have to take the car on the boat so that i can take all the stuff i need. parents will probably have to come get me in the car then when going back at summer cause i'll have to take my stuff back or put it in storage somewhere :s

About the Bsc/BA thing i was looking at that too before i made my choices and 3 of mine are BA and 2 Bsc. i would prefer the more mathmatical Bsc but thats just cause i would rather do a practical question involving numbers than a theory question with loads of writing. i dont think employers look at it any differently Lancaster which is linked with E&Y do a Bsc, but Reading which is linked with PWC do a BA :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Doing a BA or BSc dosnt really matter tbh.....I went to and ernst and young demonstration in Birmingham.....they said that all good A+F courses are tailored in a way to contain Modules in Finance, Business, accounting and economics regardless of being a BA or BSc...they even gave Nottingham Uni as an example sayin that it was a BA course yet it was still highly numerative and tailored in a way making sure that all graduates have a good practicle focus when coming to accounting....thats why Im putting Nottingham as my first choice....regardless of BA or BSc some employers check your modules before hand....so I honsetly woulndt worry about the A+F course being either....what would be my concern would be the module listings...I want a Uni that does prodominatley Finance and analytical Modules which Nottingham,Lancaster,Loughborough,LSE Bath and Bristol provide
Heres the list of modules notice some similarities therefore BA/BSc dosent matter
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/business/finance-accounting-management.aspx
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/businessschool/accountingandfinancialmanagement/
Why do City require A*AA? I know Cass is a great business school but is the course really competitive? More than LSE/Warwick?
Reply 386
Finally finished UCAS App, gone for: Exeter, Lancaster, Durham, Kent and Oxford Brookes. Not too worried about BA/BSc it doesn't seem too have much of an effect on graduate prospects. Kent (asking for ABB) is ranked above Bristol, Warwick and Edinburgh for employability and is a BA course. (Although I understand this doesn't reflect the quality of the employment)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 387
Original post by azure.skies
Why do City require A*AA? I know Cass is a great business school but is the course really competitive? More than LSE/Warwick?

i dont know, i thought it was a bit high, the main reason i applied wa that it is situated in the centre of london. i dont think it is more competitive than lse/warwick, i think it may be a good one in the future though if they are asking for those grades?
Reply 388
Original post by azure.skies

Yeah I too was thinking the same. Then again alot of top investment banks do run recruiting events there as CASS business school is good. Its no way near the likes of LSE and Warwick but the tactic i think they have used is that assuming lets say 800 people apply to Accounting and Finance atleast 50% prob had A*AA predictions, so to cut the pile down just move up the requirements. Exact same thing LSE did when they went up from AAB to AAA, there was a drop in applications by -500, although 2000 or odd still applied.
Reply 389
What would you guys choose, between Exeter and Loughborough?

EDIT: On Kent's website it says 'BB at A level' under subject requirements, what does that mean?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390
UCAS sent :biggrin:
the reference + other stuff should be done my fri-next wed.

Anyone got offers from LSE, Warwick or nottingham yet?
I know birmingham have gotten going.

Is there any real benefit of getting it in early?
Ahh so annoyed! Pretty much ready to send UCAS off but damn personal statement is 4 lines over the limit...so I either have to remove my paragraph spacing or find 4 lines of text to delete, which I don't see happening.

Asked my referee what to do, he just sends an email back that barely makes sense but something along the lines of "paragraph spacing is useful and much easier to read", which doesn't help my situation at all :angry: I did tell him I can't find anywhere to delete...

What did u guys do? Delete paragraph spacing?
What are all your opinions on school leaver programmes...such as PWC,Ernst and Yong and KPMG and general ACA training programmes at an accounting firm
Ahh so annoyed! Pretty much ready to send UCAS off but damn personal statement is 4 lines over the limit...so I either have to remove my paragraph spacing or find 4 lines of text to delete, which I don't see happening.

Asked my referee what to do, he just sends an email back that barely makes sense but something along the lines of "paragraph spacing is useful and much easier to read", which doesn't help my situation at all :angry: I did tell him I can't find anywhere to delete...

You should keep the spacing. I suggest trying to cut a few words and make it more concise. This person got rejected from Manchester because the PS wasn't spaced and they had A* A* AA predictions I think :s-smilie:

Are you going to add in all your choices at once? I want to leave a few blank because some of them are dancing around my head :P Is it possible to leave a few blank?
Reply 394

i didnt do any paragraph spacing, the personal statement is meant to be as full as possible to try and persuade the university to pick you, you cant do that with empty spaces. :smile:
Right finally sorted my statement problem! Kept the spacing in cos people seem to think it is important, but combined my EC and work experience paragraphs and slowly deleted a few unnecessary words and shorted phrases without making points weaker or getting rid of vital info. Took like 2 hours, but worth it! =)

Now need to decide on 3 more unis to apply LOL...fml.

Original post by Jeeves_90
What are all your opinions on school leaver programmes...such as PWC,Ernst and Yong and KPMG and general ACA training programmes at an accounting firm

From what I remember when I researched them, KPMG is the only good one because not only do you get paid the best salary, but it's the only one which actually gives you a proper A&F university degree from good unis. Sure you're still "guaranteed" a job and get training for the other programmes, but what happens if they let you go or you want to work elsewhere? Without a proper university degree, even with the years of experience at a Big 4, it may hinder you...I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Should be applying to KPMG later this year, and would choose that over my UCAS offers except for LSE and Warwick (assuming all goes well of course).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 396
From what I remember when I researched them, KPMG is the only good one because not only do you get paid the best salary, but it's the only one which actually gives you a proper A&F university degree from good unis. Sure you're still "guaranteed" a job and get training for the other programmes, but what happens if they let you go or you want to work elsewhere? Without a proper university degree, even with the years of experience at a Big 4, it may hinder you...I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Should be applying to KPMG later this year, and would choose that over my UCAS offers except for LSE and Warwick (assuming all goes well of course).

I'm sorry, this is untrue, Yes, KPMG provides the best degree and work experience and as such is more of a "once in a lifetime course" in that there are no fees to pay, a good salary etc- all of which under the eyes of a bluechip firm.

However, this simply doesn't mean that because PwC or E&Y don't offer as extensive a program their degrees aren't worthy. Both are at reputable universities (Lancaster, Newcastle and now Reading for PwC) and with paid work experience with them for one year, exemptions from professional exams and the opportunity to become a Chartered accountant one year earlier than any other person who has gone to university (assuming they did a 3 year course); they're courses offer a fantastic platform for any young person.

I'm sure the major 'risk' with going to any university, never mind a prestigious one such as LSE or Warwick, is not becoming employable thus not earning any income or work experience. These courses allow candidates to secure employment and a qualification - if that isn't suitable in this current economic climate, I don't know what is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 397
anyone know the offer: places ratio? and not the applicants: places ratio on the warwick/lse site?
Reply 398
GCSEs:A*A*A*A*AAAAB and (A*shortcourse)
AS grades (and subjects): Mathematics Biology Chemistry (Economics C achieved)
Subjects for A2: Mathematics Biology Chemistry (AAB predicted respectively)
Universities likely to apply to: Lancaster, Durham, Surrey, Nottingham and cant decide on between Bristol or Exeter or Liverpool or a not so good uni for insurance.

Could anyone suggest my chances of getting accepted to these Unis and if anyone has gained offers with similar circumstances to myself. Also any advice on my last uni choice.
Original post by vink01
GCSEs:A*A*A*A*AAAAB and (A*shortcourse)
AS grades (and subjects): Mathematics Biology Chemistry (Economics C achieved)
Subjects for A2: Mathematics Biology Chemistry (AAB predicted respectively)
Universities likely to apply to: Lancaster, Durham, Surrey, Nottingham and cant decide on between Bristol or Exeter or Liverpool or a not so good uni for insurance.

Could anyone suggest my chances of getting accepted to these Unis and if anyone has gained offers with similar circumstances to myself. Also any advice on my last uni choice.

Now that's creepy...got exactly the same GCSEs (except shortcourse), did the same subjects at AS and A2, and was also predicted AAB with a B in Chem....
I'm now on a gap year tho retaking exams after achieving AAB, in order to get A*AA which I was very close to...and I'm finishing off economics A2 during my gap year too, so should be predicted A*A*AA this cycle..

I didn't apply to A&F first time around - applied for a completely different course, so can't give any insight into your chances I'm afraid...sorry.
But yeah that's very weird...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending