The Student Room Group

Internship after first year of University

Hey everyone,

I was just wonderning where people tend to go for internships after their first year of Uni. Surely BBs won't be too interested in first year students ? Spring Weeks are a good start, but what do these people do during summer time to get relevant work experience ? Do people got to smaller boutiques, Big4 etc. ? Or do bigger IBs also accept application from first year students ?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Your right in thinking BB's are extremely unlikely to take you unless you have some serious contacts. You need to be more creative and look at boutiques or look at roles closely related to the one you want to do and don't be too picky.

There is no set structure for getting an internship in your 1st year, you just have to look hard and be creative.
Reply 2
Everyone I know in first year with an interest in banking is interning somewhere. Lucky few even managed to bag themselves internships at BBs.
Original post by Turbokapitalist
Hey everyone,

I was just wonderning where people tend to go for internships after their first year of Uni. Surely BBs won't be too interested in first year students ? Spring Weeks are a good start, but what do these people do during summer time to get relevant work experience ? Do people got to smaller boutiques, Big4 etc. ? Or do bigger IBs also accept application from first year students ?

Thanks in advance!

Contacts.

You mentioned spring weeks; talk to people. Let them know your intentions. If you're good enough it shouldn't be too difficult.
Original post by Zweihander
Everyone I know in first year with an interest in banking is interning somewhere. Lucky few even managed to bag themselves internships at BBs.
Where are you interning? I heard that you aren't interning anywhere haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
thanks for the helpful advice! Then i'll just be hoping for spring weeks :wink:
I'm a first year on a summer internship at Santander.

Just keep your eyes open for opportunities, and try to network. There are plenty of places that will accept you if you can demonstrate you are better qualified than a 2nd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending