The Student Room Group

Bosses condemn 'useless' degrees that leave graduates unemployable

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x

What do you think guys?

Completely right. Too many people go to university, we can't all be successful managers, accountants etc. The quality of half the courses offered by uni's is utter crap. :s-smilie:

In my view, only candidates with AT LEAST AAB should go to university. This does not mean others won't be able to have successful careers, that is what apprenticeship programs are for!
Reply 121
At the end of the day though... its all personal opinions as to what is "useless" and what isn't....
Reply 122
From my view, after sitting through a few interviews being the interviewer, it does all depend. I have met several programming grad's who were brilliant people to know and get along with, but were awful in their jobs.
Original post by fursey
Haha, but they said 'hiring someone who has just finished their A-levels'?

Referring to our generation.
Original post by Bettina <3
Do they? Will they be good at presentations? Writing essays? They have different skills - i.e. maths based. An arts graduate will be better at communicating, creativity, writing etc.

Science is far more creative than the arts. Everything you see and use today has been created by an engineer, which is the application of science.
Original post by lonelykatana
I agree with you, I just feel I should add this:
Grades are massively dependant on subject. I, unfortunately, am one of the students who chose their A level subjects very poorly and will be leaving with the equivalent of ABE as long as things go as expected tomorrow.
Some students are perfectly capable of getting A in certain subjects, yet will fail horribly at others.
The AB subjects are subjects I am suited too, perhaps more importantly subjects I enjoy. However the E subject, Electronics, was simply not suited to me at all!

But I certainly understand that the entire education/exam system can not be adapted to take any of that into account, and I agree entirely with the basics of your point. But unfortunately, A levels are a one shot deal in many ways!

Long story short, I can bloody write a killer essay and even add numbers up :tongue:

yeah my older brother was similarly failed by the education system, A in Literature, B in business but a C in chemistry (could smash essays but not a scientist by any stretch).

there are always unfortunate errors in every system i suppose. I try not to talk in sweeping generalizations of ALL PEOPLE WHO GET X GRADE ARE NUMB as that would obviously incorrect, but it might be fair to say as a statistical probability all people who get X grade may possess less academic aptitude than a person with Y grade.
Original post by KimKallstrom
So you're proud that you can't even write in YOUR OWN LANGUAGE?

its not something I get horrendously anal over.

the purpose of language is communication and the transfer of information. If you speak to me i am incredibly articulate with a broad vocabulary. Written wise I get it mostly correct, but I'm not going to have a heart attack over a misplaced comma or a wrong use of the there/their homophone because it doesn't overtly disrupt the transfer of information.

if I'm communicating with a client i try to keep it "professional" as a matter of style or image on my part, but language and the rules relating to it are in a constant state of flux and I don't see minor fluctuation as something to get my panties in a twist over.
There really shouldn't be all of these stupid pointless degrees.

They should have like a btec equivalent of a degree for these less academic degrees, like film studies, media studies, classics, childhood studies, etc so then employers can distinguish the difference between people only do soft degrees and those who do proper ones.

I think that there should also be like a basic skills degree with those going into the workplace, which features essay writing and numeracy skills to help them find employment.
Original post by Tefhel
Well they have a point. Considering that there are about 109 universities in the UK, and only about 25/30 are 'decent' unis there must be an awful lot of CCC standard graduates who in all honesty probably can't do mental arithmetic or write a decent essay.

So the students getting first and 2:1s at any of the university outside the top 25/30 can't do mental arithmetic? Or write decent essays? Considering universities cross examine each other's marking criteria?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WillWalker23
There really shouldn't be all of these stupid pointless degrees.

They should have like a btec equivalent of a degree for these less academic degrees, like film studies, media studies, classics, childhood studies, etc so then employers can distinguish the difference between people only do soft degrees and those who do proper ones.

Do you honestly think that currently employers cannot distinguish between film or media studies and a "proper" degree (whatever that may be), even though the degree title is clearly stated?
Original post by Smack
Do you honestly think that currently employers cannot distinguish between film or media studies and a "proper" degree (whatever that may be), even though the degree title is clearly stated?

I know they can, and everybody else can, but it doesn't change the fact that both degrees (for example Media Studies Vs Chemistry) technically have equal weighting (if both were firsts).
Original post by WillWalker23
I know they can, and everybody else can, but it doesn't change the fact that both degrees (for example Media Studies Vs Chemistry) technically have equal weighting (if both were firsts).

Equal weighting in terms of what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending