The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukethePianoMan
Hi, I got in too! I read on the website that us natural scientists get the physics goodies when we arrive in October, not fair, I want my physics now!!

Wooooh Well Done! :smile:
DOES THAT MEAN I GET PHYSICS GOODIES??? THAT IS SO EXCITING! do you know what they are? I want mine now!
Actually I'd just prefer to have my college stuff now as well if that's all right Durham? :redface:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by pianofluteftw
Wooooh Well Done! :smile:
DOES THAT MEAN I GET PHYSICS GOODIES??? THAT IS SO EXCITING! do you know what they are? I want mine now!
Actually I'd just prefer to have my college stuff now as well if that's all right Durham? :redface:

I got my college stuff on results day, loads of forms yay!
And they have a huge list of cheques we have to write to them as well, its ridiculous!
Look at this http://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/freshers/
It says you get a physics workbook, lucky sod :P
Economics at Collingwood - any others out there heading to Collingwood, feel free to add me on Facebook - Rupert Whitworth

Bring on October!!!
Reply 43
Original post by LondonGirl22
Heeey, I'm philosophy at Chad's!! :biggrin:

hey!! excited? :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by alphaeta08
Hey, music at Hild Bede! Even though I'm not British and got my results a while ago, I'm joining in the group revelry! I read somewhere on the Durham site that there are only 40-45 of us (music people) per year, so I'm sure we'll all get to know each other!:biggrin:

Congrats! When i went on the college open day there were only about 4 people doing music so yep, we should look out for each other :smile:
I got my college stuff on results day, loads of forms yay!
And they have a huge list of cheques we have to write to them as well, its ridiculous!
Look at this http://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/freshers/
It says you get a physics workbook, lucky sod :P

Yeah I literally came home just now and got the college stuff! Less exciting than I imagined - signing up for healthcare will be fun with my huge medical record :tongue:
*sigh* everything is so expensive! The core physics textbook is just under £120 (well new on amazon - they get a discount but still...)

WOOOO Physics workbook :cool: :biggrin:
Yeah I literally came home just now and got the college stuff! Less exciting than I imagined - signing up for healthcare will be fun with my huge medical record :tongue:
*sigh* everything is so expensive! The core physics textbook is just under £120 (well new on amazon - they get a discount but still...)

Definitely don't buy any textbooks now! Wait until you get there and buy them from older students.
Original post by angelmxxx
Definitely don't buy any textbooks now! Wait until you get there and buy them from older students.

I'm not planning too - I was just amazed at how much they cost new!
Second hand all the way!!!! :smile:
Looking forward to studying Biomed. at John Snow :smile:

Are you sure it is £120? I thought it was less than that. Could you send the link please?
And ye the forms aren't fun at all :s-smilie:
Original post by schop
hey!! excited? :biggrin:

Heck yeah! :biggrin: you? I'm so excited to have even managed my grades haha, wasn't feeling too confident! Philosophy ftw :wink:
Hi
Health and human science with foundation
Reply 52
Original post by schop
philosophy at University College!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Original post by LondonGirl22
Heeey, I'm philosophy at Chad's!! :biggrin:

Congrats both! I'm going into my final year studying philosophy so feel free to ask me any questions you have about the course (or about Durham in general).

Are you sure it is £120? I thought it was less than that. Could you send the link please?

I have no idea what the physics text book is, but it may be worth having a look here.

Well the website says the 13th edition :redface:
I don't know if that means we can get the older edition (like the 12th) and it be close enough (if so that is sooo much cheaper) - but the 13th is certainly expensive!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Physics-MasteringPhysics-Hugh-Young/dp/0321696883/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313871434&sr=8-5

Otherwise I've seen an 11th edition for £17 :biggrin:
Well the website says the 13th edition :redface:
I don't know if that means we can get the older edition (like the 12th) and it be close enough (if so that is sooo much cheaper) - but the 13th is certainly expensive!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Physics-MasteringPhysics-Hugh-Young/dp/0321696883/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313871434&sr=8-5

Otherwise I've seen an 11th edition for £17 :biggrin:

Bloody hell! That edition was only released this January, I'll have to buy it at Durham then :s-smilie:
However, I managed to download the 12th edition, would you like me to send you it?
I'm thinking of starting a file sharing group on a dropbox for maths and physics students so we can help each other out and share resources, I'll stick that on it of course!
Reply 55
Original post by Itareldie

Original post by Itareldie
Maths at Hatfield here I come!!! :biggrin:

Hey, Im going to Hatfield as well. Just wondering whether we need to confirm anything? What date do we need to be there for the start of freshers week? Do we need to apply for a room or is it balloted when we get there? Sorry for the questions, thanks.
Bloody hell! That edition was only released this January, I'll have to buy it at Durham then :s-smilie:
However, I managed to download the 12th edition, would you like me to send you it?
I'm thinking of starting a file sharing group on a dropbox for maths and physics students so we can help each other out and share resources, I'll stick that on it of course!

Yeah that would be great actually :smile:
I might email them and ask if an 11th/12th edition is fine - it's not going to have changed much surely? (I mean realistically lets think of how many major changes there have been to Physics in the last 2 years... :wink: )
far too excited/happy/nervous! doing psychology (applied) at stephenson college. Best part of all of it is arriving the day after my birthday, so lookimg forward to some wild nights out in freshers week!
Yeah that would be great actually :smile:
I might email them and ask if an 11th/12th edition is fine - it's not going to have changed much surely? (I mean realistically lets think of how many major changes there have been to Physics in the last 2 years... :wink: )

Ye I know, though we would still have to buy Masteringphysics and that is like £30 on its own I think! Please tell me if you get a reply to that email :smile:

Oh, and this is also thirteenth edition http://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Physics-Modern-MasteringPhysics/dp/0321762193/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313929412&sr=1-1

And Mastering physics costs 34.1584759 British pounds

Here is my Dropbox link to view the files <removed> I'll make you a collaborator when we meet in Durham :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ye I know, though we would still have to buy Masteringphysics and that is like £30 on its own I think! Please tell me if you get a reply to that email :smile:

Oh, and this is also thirteenth edition http://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Physics-Modern-MasteringPhysics/dp/0321762193/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313929412&sr=1-1

And Mastering physics costs 34.1584759 British pounds

Here is my Dropbox link to view the files <removed> I'll make you a collaborator when we meet in Durham :smile:

And you have to buy a maths one as well I guess :/ Yeah I'm going to email them tomorrow and I'll let you know what they say! But good spot on the other Amazon one! (and it has more pages :wink: )

Cheers I'll have a look at the file later - THANK YOU :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest