The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am wondering whether I am supposed to declare both of these grades:
An RE short course I did and got a certificate for it in 2011
An RE full course that I got a certificate for in 2012.

I am pretty sure the short course exam contributed to the full course so I don't understand whether they are 2 qualifications or not. Or whether I just declare the overall full course GCSE.

Also, what is the fee code for medicine? As my personal tutor doesn't know.... (which I am finding rather worrying atm!!)

And anyone know what a 'BTEC registration number' is?
Reply 1981
Original post by 3mmz
If you got a grade U, do you have to declare it?

Original post by Tuya
No
You definitely do if you are re-sitting it, and you may have to even if you aren't. UCAS guidance on this is ambiguous.

Original post by Worms
Do I put the AS grades in as separate AS grades even if I am doing the subject to A2.
If you had read the first post in this thread you would see that you do.

Original post by Estrellaa
And anyone know what a 'BTEC registration number' is?
Presumably, if you are doing a BTEC, you would have this. If you aren't, you don't need to worry about it.
Hi. I'm starting uni (year 1) in October but I want to apply for another course in UCAS 2014. Should I add my current university, the modules I take and predicted grades into the section of education? If so, how can I do it?
Original post by Minerva
You definitely do if you are re-sitting it, and you may have to even if you aren't. UCAS guidance on this is ambiguous.

Presumably, if you are doing a BTEC, you would have this. If you aren't, you don't need to worry about it.

I did 2 BTEC qualifications at GCSE, so I declared them, and then a 'warning' came up saying 'BTEC registration number required' and I have NEVER heard of one :/ These were at my old school so do you think if I rang them they'd have it?
Reply 1984
I did 2 BTEC qualifications at GCSE, so I declared them, and then a 'warning' came up saying 'BTEC registration number required' and I have NEVER heard of one :/ These were at my old school so do you think if I rang them they'd have it?
I'd ring them up and see.
Original post by Minerva
I'd ring them up and see.

Ok Ill do that.

Im not allowed to just completely leave them out of my application right? Because that's what my tutor thinks.... but I disagreed?
Reply 1986
Ok Ill do that.

Im not allowed to just completely leave them out of my application right? Because that's what my tutor thinks.... but I disagreed?
If you got a formal certificate for them, they need to be included. No-one will take much notice, but the terms of the agreement with UCAS mean you have to declare anything that comes with a formal certificate from an external body.
Hi. I'm currently at a sixth form in N. Ireland where cashing in is not mandatory. I achieved 4 A's at AS, however my results slip only gave me module results and the total out of 300 for each subject was in hand writing.

I wish to apply to medicine this year and am looking at uni's such as leeds and brighton who consider AS grades a better indication of ability rather than GCSE's.

http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/selection-first_pass/2

From looking at this link it appears my AS results will therefore have to be cashed in to be considered.

Should I therefore assume that I would need to go about getting these cashed in before my UCAS deadline goes off? I understand I can enter module grades and leave the entire a level qualification as pending but it seems that it would be a better idea to get these cashed in as I'm applying to English uni's only and all english state schools seem to be forced to cash in.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you.

Also can I repeat a module or two if I cash in and then recash in next summer again?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1988
Original post by Minerva

oh wow
what happens if ucas finds out that you didnt include previous results?

will they stop you from going to university because you lied?
Reply 1989
How would a retake be shown if there is a space for only 6 modules? Especially if it doesn't count to an AS level, but instead part of an incomplete A level...
And since it is an A2 module, would I say I got an A* in it of I get 90 plus, or still A as I did it during AS?
Reply 1990
Original post by kristinapau
Hi. I'm starting uni (year 1) in October but I want to apply for another course in UCAS 2014. Should I add my current university, the modules I take and predicted grades into the section of education? If so, how can I do it?
Why bother starting this year if you are going to apply elsewhere for next year? It's pointless. However, if you do decide to go down this route, you will have to enter the fact that you are studying at a university and what course you are doing. Predicted grades don't come into it.

Original post by TheMysteryMan
Hi. I'm currently at a sixth form in N. Ireland where cashing in is not mandatory. I achieved 4 A's at AS, however my results slip only gave me module results and the total out of 300 for each subject was in hand writing.

I wish to apply to medicine this year and am looking at uni's such as leeds and brighton who consider AS grades a better indication of ability rather than GCSE's.

http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/selection-first_pass/2

From looking at this link it appears my AS results will therefore have to be cashed in to be considered.

Should I therefore assume that I would need to go about getting these cashed in before my UCAS deadline goes off? I understand I can enter module grades and leave the entire a level qualification as pending but it seems that it would be a better idea to get these cashed in as I'm applying to English uni's only and all english state schools seem to be forced to cash in.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you.

Also can I repeat a module or two if I cash in and then recash in next summer again?
You can enter module grades even if the AS itself hasn't been cashed in. If it's your school's policy not to cash in, they should say so in the reference.

Original post by 3mmz
oh wow
what happens if ucas finds out that you didnt include previous results?

will they stop you from going to university because you lied?
UCAS won't, but the uni might.

Original post by Tuya
How would a retake be shown if there is a space for only 6 modules? Especially if it doesn't count to an AS level, but instead part of an incomplete A level...
And since it is an A2 module, would I say I got an A* in it of I get 90 plus, or still A as I did it during AS?
The A* only applies to the whole A level, not to module grades, whether taken at AS or A level.

If you are resitting a certificated qualification, you enter it again as a pendng qualification. If the module in question is part of an as yet uncertificated qualification, you don't need to enter anything other than the module title at this stage.
Reply 1991
Original post by Minerva
The A* only applies to the whole A level, not to module grades, whether taken at AS or A level.

If you are resitting a certificated qualification, you enter it again as a pendng qualification. If the module in question is part of an as yet uncertificated qualification, you don't need to enter anything other than the module title at this stage.

So, I scraped 80 percent in M2, and I'm retaking it, then I just need to enter it once as pending?
Reply 1992
Original post by Minerva
Why bother starting this year if you are going to apply elsewhere for next year? It's pointless. However, if you do decide to go down this route, you will have to enter the fact that you are studying at a university and what course you are doing. Predicted grades don't come into it.

You can enter module grades even if the AS itself hasn't been cashed in. If it's your school's policy not to cash in, they should say so in the reference.

UCAS won't, but the uni might.

do you need to enter all the units you have taken?
Original post by kristinapau

Yes you should. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338 explains how to add modules.

You have to add your university in the same way as you add your school/sixth form as a place of study.

In your case I'd suggest listing all of the modules you're doing with pending (it gives the unis you're applying to a feel for the structure of your course).

HOWEVER: as Minerva says above applying for another university before you've even STARTED in your first year is not going to impress any university that you apply to.

If you want to start at the new universities from scratch then you'd be better placed to take a gap year, do some retakes if you want to boost your A level grades, take some OU and coursera modules in your subject to keep your interest up and generally use the gap year well to earn some money and get a better knowledge of your subject.

If you're hoping to transfer into year 2 of the new university(ies) then you really shouldn't be applying until December at the earliest. By December you should
a) have got to know your tutor so that you can get an academic reference from your current uni
b) have got some work marked so that you and your tutor will have a decent background to talk about your current study and ability
and
c) have a much clearer idea of which areas of degree level study in your subject interest you so that you can apply specifically to courses that will allow you to focus on these areas.
Reply 1994
Hi, I just wanted to check something. I'm applying for medicine for entry in 2014 and I don't want to declare my unit grades due to a very bad grade in mechanics. Can I just declare my overall AS grades as AAAB but not enter any modules?

I'm retaking mechanics so would I put:
AS Mathematics B June 2013 (certified), then
AS Mathematics June 2014 (pending)
Original post by PQ
Yes you should. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2177589&p=40298338#post40298338 explains how to add modules.

You have to add your university in the same way as you add your school/sixth form as a place of study.

In your case I'd suggest listing all of the modules you're doing with pending (it gives the unis you're applying to a feel for the structure of your course).

HOWEVER: as Minerva says above applying for another university before you've even STARTED in your first year is not going to impress any university that you apply to.

If you want to start at the new universities from scratch then you'd be better placed to take a gap year, do some retakes if you want to boost your A level grades, take some OU and coursera modules in your subject to keep your interest up and generally use the gap year well to earn some money and get a better knowledge of your subject.

If you're hoping to transfer into year 2 of the new university(ies) then you really shouldn't be applying until December at the earliest. By December you should
a) have got to know your tutor so that you can get an academic reference from your current uni
b) have got some work marked so that you and your tutor will have a decent background to talk about your current study and ability
and
c) have a much clearer idea of which areas of degree level study in your subject interest you so that you can apply specifically to courses that will allow you to focus on these areas.

Hi. Thanks :smile:
I'm not applying now but I am strongly considering it and just thinking into the future. I simply understood what I REALLY want to study a bit too late.
Another reason why I would like to reapply is because I believe that I could get into a much better university as my grades were way better than I expected before I applied. I couldn't use adjustment because I got my conditional offer changed into unconditional really early (in my country we get our results a couple of month earlier than in the UK) and nobody was talking about any possibilities to change or adjust university choices yet, so I didn't know it and missed this opportunity :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1996
Original post by Tuya
So, I scraped 80 percent in M2, and I'm retaking it, then I just need to enter it once as pending?
Sounds like it.

Original post by 3mmz
do you need to enter all the units you have taken?
Yes.
Reply 1997
Original post by Agl
Hi, I just wanted to check something. I'm applying for medicine for entry in 2014 and I don't want to declare my unit grades due to a very bad grade in mechanics. Can I just declare my overall AS grades as AAAB but not enter any modules?

I'm retaking mechanics so would I put:
AS Mathematics B June 2013 (certified), then
AS Mathematics June 2014 (pending)
You can, but would be well advised not to. Especially as you are retaking, it is in your interests to declare all your module grades so that the uni can see the good ones as well as the blip.
Reply 1998
Original post by Minerva
You can, but would be well advised not to. Especially as you are retaking, it is in your interests to declare all your module grades so that the uni can see the good ones as well as the blip.

Thanks for replying :smile:
I understand that it could come across like I'm hiding something, but technically I am and they can only assume that I got a bad grade in a maths module which would be correct anyway so surely I have nothing to lose?
My reference from my college is going to highlight how I got all A's in all of my Chemistry and Biology modules. Is that enough?
Original post by Agl
they can only assume that I got a bad grade in a maths module which would be correct anyway so surely I have nothing to lose?

They might, since it will be obvious you have something to hide, assume that you attained something far worse than the truth.

Latest

Trending

Trending