The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AAT2014
Thanks for replying. Is this only the case for maths then? As entering unit grades is optional for everything else it seems.

Original post by Minerva
Entering module grades is optional in principle, though in my view definitely recommended (as discussed in the first post of this thread). However, some unis will expect you to enter them (eg if you are applying for Maths at Imperial) and if you don't a swift rejection may follow. Not entering them just begs the question "what is the applicant trying to hide?". Presumably you will want to showcase your module grades - in which case it's all or nothing. It is not advisable to pick and choose.

I think this case is slightly different - AAT will be putting the unit scores for the 6 modules that have formed the A Level Maths - he is looking to ignore the additional 2 that are not contributing to a qualification at this point - the universities will not see them as "missing" since there is no reason to believe that he has taken additional units
Reply 2561
Original post by TenOfThem
I think this case is slightly different - AAT will be putting the unit scores for the 6 modules that have formed the A Level Maths - he is looking to ignore the additional 2 that are not contributing to a qualification at this point - the universities will not see them as "missing" since there is no reason to believe that he has taken additional units
Yes, I understand that, but if when it comes to collating his results those modules don't feature on his UCAS application there will be a mismatch, which will hold things up, if in the end they are needed to boost his grades.
Hi there i retook year 13 and my grades have gone up. I've told my uni i chose through clearing my new grades but i'm worried they'll look at the old ones. Is there anything i can do or should i just leave it?
Original post by Minerva
Yes, I understand that, but if when it comes to collating his results those modules don't feature on his UCAS application there will be a mismatch, which will hold things up, if in the end they are needed to boost his grades.

Ah - I get what you mean - if these were to be included in his FM eventually rather than the retaken ones
Reply 2564
Original post by TenOfThem
Ah - I get what you mean - if these were to be included in his FM eventually rather than the retaken ones
Exactly :smile:
Do you unit's actually find out everybody's grades and resits when you apply for that university?
Reply 2566
Original post by xxvine
Do you unit's actually find out everybody's grades and resits when you apply for that university?
They can and do cross-check, yes.
Reply 2567
Original post by idelaghetto
Hi there i retook year 13 and my grades have gone up. I've told my uni i chose through clearing my new grades but i'm worried they'll look at the old ones. Is there anything i can do or should i just leave it?
If the retakes were mentioned on your UCAS form they will be able to link them to your results. Have they confirmed your Clearing place yet?
Original post by Minerva
If the retakes were mentioned on your UCAS form they will be able to link them to your results. Have they confirmed your Clearing place yet?

Nope still waiting, i made the decision to accept yesterday evening
Reply 2569
Original post by idelaghetto
Nope still waiting, i made the decision to accept yesterday evening
You mean you entered the Clearing choice then? If so, give it till Monday and then chase 'em up. If not, enter that Clearing choice quick-sticks :smile:
Original post by Minerva
You mean you entered the Clearing choice then? If so, give it till Monday and then chase 'em up. If not, enter that Clearing choice quick-sticks :smile:

yeep it's entered. Will do thank ya :smile:
I signed up for an IGCSE, but couldnt make it due to transport issues. I didnt sit for the exam at all.
So in the next session (November) i Took that IGCSE and received an A*.

How should i enter this in UCAS?
is it better to enter unit grades or just enter the overall grade?
Original post by Minerva
They can and do cross-check, yes.

how do they do that?
Reply 2574
Original post by AlphaMariMo
I signed up for an IGCSE, but couldnt make it due to transport issues. I didnt sit for the exam at all.
So in the next session (November) i Took that IGCSE and received an A*.

How should i enter this in UCAS?
Just the November sitting, as you didn't get a result for the earlier sitting.

Original post by xxvine
is it better to enter unit grades or just enter the overall grade?
Mostly, they expect grades but some unis ask for UMS for a few courses.

Original post by xxvine
how do they do that?
They have their ways :ninja:
Original post by Minerva
Just the November sitting, as you didn't get a result for the earlier sitting.

Mostly, they expect grades but some unis ask for UMS for a few courses.

They have their ways :ninja:

Thank you
Original post by Minerva

So is this the special case of maths essentially? That you must declare all modules in case modules get carried over? It seems pretty odd that UCAS/a Uni wouldn't be able to just check that I do have the modules, I just chose not to enter them - I don't see why that would cause them much trouble, if it's all optional and they're not currently going towards a complete qualification.
Reply 2577
Original post by AAT2014
So is this the special case of maths essentially? That you must declare all modules in case modules get carried over? It seems pretty odd that UCAS/a Uni wouldn't be able to just check that I do have the modules, I just chose not to enter them - I don't see why that would cause them much trouble, if it's all optional and they're not currently going towards a complete qualification.
The issue is that when it comes to collating your results and forwarding them via UCAS to your universities, if the module details can't be reconciled with each other you may find you end up with delays in confirming your place.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why you are making such a big deal out of entering this information on your UCAS form. Why not just enter everything and be done with it?
Original post by Minerva
Why not just enter everything and be done with it?

It's just then I'd have to enter another further maths AS & A-Level onto UCAS in order to indicate the retake, and I wouldn't want the leftover modules (C and D grades) to make things look bad.

By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply in this thread, and for starting this thread in the first place with a lot of important information - I thank you very much.
Reply 2579
Original post by AAT2014
It's just then I'd have to enter another further maths AS & A-Level onto UCAS in order to indicate the retake, and I wouldn't want the leftover modules (C and D grades) to make things look bad.

By the way, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply in this thread, and for starting this thread in the first place with a lot of important information - I thank you very much.
If those modules might be used to make up your final qualifications, you will have to declare the resits.

Latest

Trending

Trending