The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by shannahb
I'm not sure if you will know the answer to this or not, but if you never ask you'll never know right? Well anyway, I've applied to UWE for psychology and I need 340 points. I included the ones I will hopefully get for the EPQ when I was working out whether this was a realistic choice for me but like a total idiot I forgot I could enter it on my UCAS application as a subject I was taking. I've sent my application off and everything but now I'm worried that because I didn't say I was doing the EPQ they won't count the points I earn from that in August! Do you think they would realise I had extra UCAS points from that? Or will they ignore that qualification completely since I didn't mention it in my application? They did mention in my offer that points from the EPQ are an acceptable way to build up the ucas points but I'm just worried as I didn't mention I was doing it when I applied :frown: Please can somebody help me with this?

You need to tell the uni about your EPQ and ask them if it will count towards your offer
Original post by Juno
You need to tell the uni about your EPQ and ask them if it will count towards your offer

This

And if you want your result sent to your unis you'll need to ring UCAS too.
Original post by Juno

I know they do count the EPQ as points, but because I didn't declare it on my application I'm not sure if they will realise I do have points from it or if they won't look into what qualifications I actually did and just not see those points?
Original post by PQ
This

And if you want your result sent to your unis you'll need to ring UCAS too.

Okay, thank you!
Reply 1784
Original post by shannahb
I know they do count the EPQ as points, but because I didn't declare it on my application I'm not sure if they will realise I do have points from it or if they won't look into what qualifications I actually did and just not see those points?
Just tell them that you are doing the qualification, and since you didn't declare it initially it would be wise to confirm that they will accept the points from it towards meeting your offer. If you don't tell both the uni and UCAS that you are taking the qualification your results won't match properly on Results Day and this will cause delays in confirming your place.

It's very unlikely that the uni will say you can't count the points from your EPQ towards your offer, but technically they could since they didn't know about it when considering your application. They may have set the points offer based on the grades they wanted you to achieve on what you did enter on your application. If counting your EPQ points means lower grades on your other qualifications this may be a problem for them. You certainly don't want to find out on Results Day that this is the case, so you MUST tell them NOW and clarify the position before making your firm and insurance choices.
Original post by Minerva
Just tell them that you are doing the qualification, and since you didn't declare it initially it would be wise to confirm that they will accept the points from it towards meeting your offer. If you don't tell both the uni and UCAS that you are taking the qualification your results won't match properly on Results Day and this will cause delays in confirming your place.

It's very unlikely that the uni will say you can't count the points from your EPQ towards your offer, but technically they could since they didn't know about it when considering your application. They may have set the points offer based on the grades they wanted you to achieve on what you did enter on your application. If counting your EPQ points means lower grades on your other qualifications this may be a problem for them. You certainly don't want to find out on Results Day that this is the case, so you MUST tell them NOW and clarify the position before making your firm and insurance choices.

Okay, I will ring them on Monday. I'm 100% positive they accept points from EPQ because I rang up before applying to see if I could use them and I mentioned that I was doing the EPQ in my personal statement. I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm definitely going to tell them I AM doing the EPQ so they can see the points I gain from that too! If not, I'm sure I can achieve the grades needed to meet the offer anyway, it's just safer for me to fall back on the EPQ points...

Thanks for your help!
Reply 1786
When I was entering my IGCSE results, my University advisor at school told me I should not declare my Art grade (a D) because otherwise I have only As and Bs. I know it's sort of misinformation but in any way this problem remains: my confirmed universities asked for a copy of my IGCSE certificate (holding the D grade) and now I'm afraid I'll get disqualified. This was the best offer I got, so what should I do? Should I come clean and hope for the best? But that way it's also possible I'll get blacklisted on UCAS or something.
Original post by 37teeth
Should I come clean and hope for the best?

Well, if you don't you certainly won't be going to that university. You obviously have no choice.
Reply 1788
Original post by 37teeth
When I was entering my IGCSE results, my University advisor at school told me I should not declare my Art grade (a D) because otherwise I have only As and Bs. I know it's sort of misinformation but in any way this problem remains: my confirmed universities asked for a copy of my IGCSE certificate (holding the D grade) and now I'm afraid I'll get disqualified. This was the best offer I got, so what should I do? Should I come clean and hope for the best? But that way it's also possible I'll get blacklisted on UCAS or something.
I agree with Good bloke - you will have to send in your certificate and see what happens. I would be inclined not to get into lengthy explanations at this stage - just send in the certificate without commenting on the Art grade, and only give them the story about why you didn't declare it at the outset if they ask for it.

You won't get blacklisted by UCAS - the very worst that could happen is that your offers might be amended or withdrawn (this is very unlikely unless the Art is a relevant subject for your course), but that won't prevent you from applying elsewhere this cycle or applying again next year, providing that you ensure that the information on your application is updated/complete.
Reply 1789
I didn't do GCSEs, however I did do GCSE equivalent, the equivalent I did is much much harder than GCSEs so the grades don't look as good. So I was wondering when I apply to uni and put down the grades I achieved will they play a big role in whether or not I will be accepted.

My A levels are going pretty good at the moment and I think I'm capable of achieving at least ABB.
Reply 1790
Original post by chigyy
I didn't do GCSEs, however I did do GCSE equivalent, the equivalent I did is much much harder than GCSEs so the grades don't look as good. So I was wondering when I apply to uni and put down the grades I achieved will they play a big role in whether or not I will be accepted.

My A levels are going pretty good at the moment and I think I'm capable of achieving at least ABB.
Unis vary in how much emphasis they place on GCSE grades - in your case as you don't have GCSEs you are relying on them understanding the grading structure of what you do have, but you can't change that, so there's no point in worrying about it. It is important to make sure that your AS grades are as good as you can make them, so focus on that rather than worrying about something you can't change.
Hi there, I have a bit of a confusing situation here

I am doing a HND course this year
I failed my HNC exam last year so I am doing a resit a long with my HND exam.

In my UCAS I left my HNC grade blank to indicate I failed and I am yet to receive a grade (resit)

A few Unis have already declined me for resiting my HNC exam..

the confusion is one university have offered me a place and only stated to gain a B in the HND. No mention of a HNC anywhere...

Is this a mistake ? I have accepted this offer already

can UCAS change the offer ? or ?
Reply 1792
Original post by Waqqas_10
Hi there, I have a bit of a confusing situation here

I am doing a HND course this year
I failed my HNC exam last year so I am doing a resit a long with my HND exam.

In my UCAS I left my HNC grade blank to indicate I failed and I am yet to receive a grade (resit)

A few Unis have already declined me for resiting my HNC exam..

the confusion is one university have offered me a place and only stated to gain a B in the HND. No mention of a HNC anywhere...

Is this a mistake ? I have accepted this offer already

can UCAS change the offer ? or ?
Well, presumably you can't get the HND without passing your HNC resit? In that case, the uni only needs the HND grade. If you have accepted the offer as your firm or insurance, then it is supposed to be case that the offer can only be changed if the uni discusses it with you first.
This is a small issue, but if I were to somehow have a U in one tiny RS half-GCSE and a Fail in ICT OCR Nationals Level 2 (GCSE-level) :rolleyes: must I declare these? My school consistently pressures me to finish my ICT, but I really don't see the point when I could focus on more important things. I do feel a bit bad about it though. Knowing whether I have to declare them or not would really help.

Is there an actual definitive answer to this? I know the OP talks about A Level grades, but would GCSE grades, being significantly less important in many cases for university application, be any different?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MangoFreak
This is a small issue, but if I were to somehow have a U in one tiny RS half-GCSE and a Fail in ICT OCR Nationals Level 2 (GCSE-level) :rolleyes: must I declare these? My school consistently pressures me to finish my ICT, but I really don't see the point when I could focus on more important things. I do feel a bit bad about it though. Knowing whether I have to declare them or not would really help.

Is there an actual definitive answer to this? I know the OP talks about A Level grades, but would GCSE grades, being significantly less important in many cases for university application, be any different?

They still need declaring though they won't be certificated. Why don't you just finish your ICT though? A pass is always going to be better than a fail! And how exactly can you get a U in RS half course? Just give it a go going to help in the long run :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by winningjojo
They still need declaring though they won't be certificated. Why don't you just finish your ICT though? A pass is always going to be better than a fail! And how exactly can you get a U in RS half course? Just give it a go going to help in the long run :smile:

I honestly can't tell you what it is. I know I'm perfectly capable of finishing ICT; I was on a Merit (without the last unit, given that I'd have a Distinction). Then I moved schools and suddenly I simply can't be bothered, possibly because the new school decided I was actually on a Fail grade. I physically cannot make myself give a damn. I don't feel proud of this in any way, but at the same time I'm okay with it.
Reply 1796
Original post by MangoFreak

No.

Original post by winningjojo
If MangoFreak fails the course, the qualification won't have been awarded, so no certificate, so no need to declare.

HOWEVER, MangoFreak, if you somehow managed to scrape a pass (and you might even if you fail to submit bits of coursework) that result will have to be declared. My advice would be to knuckle down and get on with it, and do the best you can.
Original post by Minerva
No.

If MangoFreak fails the course, the qualification won't have been awarded, so no certificate, so no need to declare.

HOWEVER, MangoFreak, if you somehow managed to scrape a pass (and you might even if you fail to submit bits of coursework) that result will have to be declared. My advice would be to knuckle down and get on with it, and do the best you can.

Yes thank you, I'm aware of that. If I do scrape a Pass, that won't be any different from what I would get if I finished the work. I can't imagine it would depricate any future application in any case, but you know, if I Fail it I was genuinely just wondering if I needed to declare it next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
So I got a U in AS physics, will I need to enter this grade?
Reply 1799
Original post by Table dust
So I got a U in AS physics, will I need to enter this grade?
If you plan to resit the exam/s, yes. If you don't, it's unclear. Ring UCAS and ask them, as there are differences between what it says on their website, what the 'check and send' message when you submit your application says, and what their advisers tell you.

Latest

Trending

Trending