The Student Room Group

Should I continue to 2nd year?

Hi, I have just completed the first year of electronic engineering at Coventry (****) university.
I ****ed it up tbh, had some major mental issues and just scraped through with passes, maths was my worst with 48%.
I really dont know if its worth continuing to the second year, I've literally forgotten everything that I did the first year, I didnt enjoy the first year either and I cant imagine this year being any different.
I have no other option though, no jobs going is there?
If I leave early in the second year am I still liable for the full amount of the loan for that year?
I really need to talk to the course leader but hes a waste of space.
I've never heard of conventry university, heard of the football team though :biggrin:

do you think employers would have heard it too?
I know loads of people that completely messed up first and even second year, and they done worse than you as they failed 2 modules which was the max you could fail to be allowed through to the next year. They stuck with it though and ended up with 2.1's because with most unis 1st and 2nd year count peanuts compared to how much 3rd and 4th year is worth. So what you really should be asking yourself is are you unsure about continuing because of your result in 1st year, or because youre just not enjoying the course? If its the former then definitely keep going as im sure youll do better in the later years. If youre not enjoying it.. i just finished my degree this year, and to be honest, 1st and 2nd year were probably the worst and most boring. Its during the 3rd and 4th year where things start to get interesting and you begin applying what youve learnt to projects. As for jobs - theres always going to be a demand for engineers. Plus engineers are pretty much found in any field, not just engineering!
Reply 3
I made a mess of the first year basically because I wasnt enjoying it.
I found the lectures crap and I was always on my own, so I had nobody to study with, this then meant working on my own until I got bored then not studying.
I kind of lost the plot abit aswell, had some serious mental issues.
I just want to be able to fix it but its the maths that scares the crap out of me, I have to memorize for tests and then I just end up forgetting it. I cant remember a thing from last year.
I can understand it must have been difficult. Why not look at the positive side though, you passed the 1st year which for most engineering courses a huge amount of people fail. Plus you passed it under difficult conditions. In 2nd year you will most likely have more group projects which will be a good way to get to know others on your course. Did you practise a lot of the past paper questions? This was my mistake in my 1st year. I tried to revise the same way i revised for my A-Levels and GCSE's which just didn't work. I found Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K.A Stroud to help a lot for my maths module, and also the maths forum here is incredibly helpful, and people are really quick to reply with questions you have.
Reply 5
I have K.A Strouds Engineering mathematics, I was working through it really well but I made the mistake of using the lecturers crappy handouts to study from.
The more I look at it I realize I only have one option. I've gotta go back, work on my maths, try and get my group to sit down and work together. I've got to go to the student council when/if those mental issues rear their head again and go to the doctors and get it sorted if it gets as bad as last year.
Thanks for your advice guys
The fact that you can acknowledge whether you have mental problems or not, and accept that you would need help from a counselor/doctor if that were the case is a really good sign. Wish you all the best :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest