The Student Room Group

Can you still get AAB at A-level if you got BBC in AS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelxox
Still ask your teachers for help if needed though! And my sixth form told us to come back the next day if we were enrolling into year 13 to fill out a form.

Oh our school didn't say much. Hopefully I can fill out a form in September :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by FashionMinion
Well done! I hopefully will re sit my the exam in chemistry worth 50% of our final grade and some practicals and also the ICT exam.

What unis did you apply for?

I applied to Reading, oxford Brooke's, anglia Ruskin, Coventry and de Montfort. But I chose oxford Brooke's as a firm because it was close to reading in the league tables but asked for only BCC for my course so I start there in September to do Biomedical Science ☺️
Original post by Jedidja
I applied to Reading, oxford Brooke's, anglia Ruskin, Coventry and de Montfort. But I chose oxford Brooke's as a firm because it was close to reading in the league tables but asked for only BCC for my course so I start there in September to do Biomedical Science ☺️

Good luck to you for your course :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Good luck to you for your course :biggrin:

Thank you and all the best in your A2 year
Original post by Burty123
I know this is an old thread, but I went from CCDE at AS level to AAA at A2, anything is possible!!

wow thats amazing! can i ask what subjects you did? i've just done my As's and got a B in English Literature, a B in History and C in biology, i also have dropped chemistry which i also got a C in. I really, really want AAA is this possible?! or at least AAB I'm willing to do some resits if thats what it takes!
Original post by Louise02
wow thats amazing! can i ask what subjects you did? i've just done my As's and got a B in English Literature, a B in History and C in biology, i also have dropped chemistry which i also got a C in. I really, really want AAA is this possible?! or at least AAB I'm willing to do some resits if thats what it takes!

Hey I did Geography (OCR), Economics (Edexcel) & Business Studies (AQA).

Yeah its certainly possible. I wouldnt even say I had to become revision obsessed, you should find that you become more comfortable with Alevel exams and certainly should find the AS retakes (if youre doing them) alot easier!
Hey I did Geography (OCR), Economics (Edexcel) & Business Studies (AQA).

Yeah its certainly possible. I wouldnt even say I had to become revision obsessed, you should find that you become more comfortable with Alevel exams and certainly should find the AS retakes (if youre doing them) alot easier!

I did OCR Geography as well, I was so annoyed because I got an A in the human paper, but a C in the physical! :frown: Well done for your As thats awesome!! :smile: what i have found is that I am definitely taking this year much more seriously than last year, by paying attention in lessons and asking my teachers when i feel a bit confused. Also I'm re- sitting some AS modules to make my A2 year a little less stressful :tongue:
I did OCR Geography as well, I was so annoyed because I got an A in the human paper, but a C in the physical! :frown: Well done for your As thats awesome!! :smile: what i have found is that I am definitely taking this year much more seriously than last year, by paying attention in lessons and asking my teachers when i feel a bit confused. Also I'm re- sitting some AS modules to make my A2 year a little less stressful :tongue:

Yeah I found the human paper alot easier too! Thats good, when you come to your AS exams you should find it easier as you will be working to A2 standard :smile:
Original post by TheAtwood
The uni I want to go to (Southampton) asks for AAB for English Literature at A-Level. I got a B at AS English (An A and a B averaging at a B) and a B in maths, and a C in Physics. So this year I got BBC at AS. Do I actually have a chance of getting AAB next year? (I've dropped two additional subjects, in which I got Cs). And is there still a chance of them giving me an offer?

(I'm resitting modules in maths and physics, to try and pull the AS grades up as well)

Has anyone else been in this situation and pulled through it?

hey babe, anything is possible. My AS grades were super lousy, I did psych aqa (B) and absent for one paper lol too lazy to take it, econ edexcel, (B and C), geog OCR, B and C, and religious studies, D

I got A*A*A for A levels!, dropped religious studies. So compared to me, you're definitely in a much better position. A levels is all about studying super hard, everything else you possibly need is online - examiner's report (to watch out for the common mistakes) and mark scheme.

I did all my papers twice AT LEAST, and started super early, like in January. In total, I took 11 papers, definitely manageable

Don't stress, you need to sit down and think it out, its your life, make it work out! all the best
Original post by hanniballector_1
hey babe, anything is possible. My AS grades were super lousy, I did psych aqa (B) and absent for one paper lol too lazy to take it, econ edexcel, (B and C), geog OCR, B and C, and religious studies, D

I got A*A*A for A levels!, dropped religious studies. So compared to me, you're definitely in a much better position. A levels is all about studying super hard, everything else you possibly need is online - examiner's report (to watch out for the common mistakes) and mark scheme.

I did all my papers twice AT LEAST, and started super early, like in January. In total, I took 11 papers, definitely manageable

Don't stress, you need to sit down and think it out, its your life, make it work out! all the best

Wow!! Well done those results are incredible!! :biggrin: May i ask if you did any retakes for AS? And also best way to revise for geography because I really want to get an A/A* in it? I'm at a B at the moment for Geography.
Wow!! Well done those results are incredible!! :biggrin: May i ask if you did any retakes for AS? And also best way to revise for geography because I really want to get an A/A* in it? I'm at a B at the moment for Geography.

haha of course I did! I had to. thank you!! I retook, Psych unit 2, econ 1 and 2, geography 2. what board are you doing?
haha of course I did! I had to. thank you!! I retook, Psych unit 2, econ 1 and 2, geography 2. what board are you doing?

OCR for Geography, A in Human and C in physical :frown: Really want to get an A in it though. Yeah I'm definitely retaking units from my other subjects.
OCR for Geography, A in Human and C in physical :frown: Really want to get an A in it though. Yeah I'm definitely retaking units from my other subjects.

def retake those that are less than high Bs.

I took OCR unit 1 and 2, then Edexcel (transferred schools)

For geog, knowing at least 3 good relevant examples are very important! try to find contrasting examples and know them in depth. For OCR, at the end of every chapter, there is a checklist of what you need to know, built your revision around it. I printed it out, and annotated relevant information beside. If i remember correctly, you need to be able to explain what factor influences certain occurrences, and they always ask, social, political and economic.

I find the book to be extremely messy and the case studies to be all over the place, so I write down my own notes, ie. RIVER EROSION : causes, implications, solutions. all on one piece of paper

After you are done revising the entire topic, you should be able to sketch a mindmap which consists of subheaders and relevant examples all in 5 mins. I find going through my things over and over very important, in order to retain information (there is really no secret to this but hard work)

have you noticed that OCR papers tend to repeat questions? I must have done them all twice AT LEAST. Each time, I made sure I know where I went wrong, then read the examiner reports to input things that can get me higher grades! I write geog terminology (geology of the rock/impermeable) on the question in RED. and always make sure you write enough!

I cant remember anything for physical geog, but human geog example, show how one economic factor influence land use in urban areas, 3 marks, my answer would be

According to the bid-rent theory, land closer to the Central Business District, being more accessible, is more valuable and thus more expensive. As the distance from CBD increases, the value of land becomes cheaper. As such, this gives rise to the bid-rent model, of which only users who can afford higher prices, such as retail industry will be found at the core whilst council housing/ warehousing (include example) will be expected to be found at the outskirts.

Something like that, writing more than you may need, while using geog terminology, and you should include examples, to get full 3 marks!

PM me directly if you still have questions!
def retake those that are less than high Bs.

I took OCR unit 1 and 2, then Edexcel (transferred schools)

For geog, knowing at least 3 good relevant examples are very important! try to find contrasting examples and know them in depth. For OCR, at the end of every chapter, there is a checklist of what you need to know, built your revision around it. I printed it out, and annotated relevant information beside. If i remember correctly, you need to be able to explain what factor influences certain occurrences, and they always ask, social, political and economic.

I find the book to be extremely messy and the case studies to be all over the place, so I write down my own notes, ie. RIVER EROSION : causes, implications, solutions. all on one piece of paper

After you are done revising the entire topic, you should be able to sketch a mindmap which consists of subheaders and relevant examples all in 5 mins. I find going through my things over and over very important, in order to retain information (there is really no secret to this but hard work)

have you noticed that OCR papers tend to repeat questions? I must have done them all twice AT LEAST. Each time, I made sure I know where I went wrong, then read the examiner reports to input things that can get me higher grades! I write geog terminology (geology of the rock/impermeable) on the question in RED. and always make sure you write enough!

I cant remember anything for physical geog, but human geog example, show how one economic factor influence land use in urban areas, 3 marks, my answer would be

According to the bid-rent theory, land closer to the Central Business District, being more accessible, is more valuable and thus more expensive. As the distance from CBD increases, the value of land becomes cheaper. As such, this gives rise to the bid-rent model, of which only users who can afford higher prices, such as retail industry will be found at the core whilst council housing/ warehousing (include example) will be expected to be found at the outskirts.

Something like that, writing more than you may need, while using geog terminology, and you should include examples, to get full 3 marks!

PM me directly if you still have questions!

Thank you so much for this!!! I will definitely retake my C and take all your advice on board. Thank you again :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 54
I got BDE and need ABB at the end of A2, my D was 2ums off a C (Maths)-resisting core 2,stats my E was 2ums off a D (chem) resisting Unit 1+2 Tbf my chem wasn't so much lack of knowledge but my exam technique...
Anyway I'm stressing, do I have any chance of getting ABB? I've heard maths resits aren't as hard once you do A2 and I am getting along with that pretty well at them moment,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Hi what subjects were they in?
Hi, I know this is old but I got CDD at AS, C in English lang/lit,( B in the coursework D in the exam), D in History (B in the source based exam and U in Russia :frown: which I've retaken) and D in Media Studies (C in the exam and E in the coursework). I only retook the Russia unit for History and this year in my media coursework I think I got an A but in my History I got a D :frown: Is there anyway I can get ABB? I really want to go to Royal Holloway via clearing as I didn't get an offer :frown: I was predicted BCC :frown:
I know this is an old thread, but I went from CCDE at AS level to AAA at A2, anything is possible!!

How did you do this ??
I got BCD at AS. B in English language, C in Geography and D in Philosophy (new course). Do you think it is possible for me to achieve BBC at the end of A2?
sorry for bringing out a very old thread but i wanted to ask if u went for resits?
I got BBB in AS and am quiet hopeless about my A2 grades...
I've been wanting to know if it's still possible to get AAA or A*AA without resits?

Original post by Alex-Torres
I got BBC at AS and got A*AA at A2 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest