Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Apprenhensive about freshers week

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by leavingsosoon?
Hi, I wasnt expecting getting into Newcastle at all, as i thought my exams went terrible and i had my heart set on my insurance of Keele. Im a quiet person and not a party animal and Newcastle has a rep for being a party city. Im worried that i wont fit in at all. I choose Newcastle purely for the course as it was the only one that offered me combined honours, now im worried i will be left out and by myself.

Anyone else feel the same? or picked Newcastle for similar reasons to me??

I was the same last year only in Northern Ireland (NI). My heart was set on another NI university. dont think i went to freshers week i just went to enrolment.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 21
I'm in two bedroom flat HCLE835B, Eustace Percy Hall , Castle Leazes and hoping to find who I am sharing with!
It would also be helpful if anyone can tell me what exactly a two bed flat consists of, do we share kitchen and bathroom? I'm a lil worried about this being a bit isolated!!!
Hi, I wasnt expecting getting into Newcastle at all, as i thought my exams went terrible and i had my heart set on my insurance of Keele. Im a quiet person and not a party animal and Newcastle has a rep for being a party city. Im worried that i wont fit in at all. I choose Newcastle purely for the course as it was the only one that offered me combined honours, now im worried i will be left out and by myself.

Whilst Newcastle is a party city, is has a lot more activities to it beyond partying. I was a bit nervous when I first applied there as I am deffinetly not a party animal, but I now know the city well and there is loads to do. You will deffintley fit in as there is something for everyone in Newcastle. :smile:

I am about to start my first year studying history and politics at Newcastle
Original post by celynwelshy
Whilst Newcastle is a party city, is has a lot more activities to it beyond partying. I was a bit nervous when I first applied there as I am deffinetly not a party animal, but I now know the city well and there is loads to do. You will deffintley fit in as there is something for everyone in Newcastle. :smile:

I am about to start my first year studying history and politics at Newcastle

Hi, im getting more nervous every day, i wish id gone to my insurance, im doing history! too as part of combined honours, i just feel like ive made a mistake as newcastle prob isnt for me.
Hi, im getting more nervous every day, i wish id gone to my insurance, im doing history! too as part of combined honours, i just feel like ive made a mistake as newcastle prob isnt for me.

Not at all. Loads of people don't go out and party. A friend of mine is very quiet and a good christian and she had a great time being involved with all the christian society events. To meet other people like herself. University is so diverse theres going to be loads of people like yourself.
There's loads of nice parks and places to go during the day like to the coastline. Newcastle is like any other city it has a nightlife but that's not all that it has to offer.

Have you looked at any societies you'd like to join ? I'm going to start salsa this year ahaha. Any skills or hobbies you'd like to continue? Dance, music, anime? theres so many societies.
Original post by steph_anie_x
Not at all. Loads of people don't go out and party. A friend of mine is very quiet and a good christian and she had a great time being involved with all the christian society events. To meet other people like herself. University is so diverse theres going to be loads of people like yourself.
There's loads of nice parks and places to go during the day like to the coastline. Newcastle is like any other city it has a nightlife but that's not all that it has to offer.

Have you looked at any societies you'd like to join ? I'm going to start salsa this year ahaha. Any skills or hobbies you'd like to continue? Dance, music, anime? theres so many societies.

thanks for trying to reassure me, yea id like to play football and hockey, and join the combiners society, shame theres no party pooper society lol.

what subject do u study?
Reply 26
My boyfriend goes to Newcastle uni and he's not into the party/club scene there either - he loves it and has great friends who he's moving in with in September. Trust me, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Flan!
My boyfriend goes to Newcastle uni and he's not into the party/club scene there either - he loves it and has great friends who he's moving in with in September. Trust me, you'll be fine :smile:

thanks, i hope so, im just dreading if i get 10 nasty girls in my hall
Reply 28

During freshers week did you just tend to go out with your flatmates?

Kind of ****ting it since I've heard nothing about accommodation now so I assume I'm not getting it. (local student)
thanks for trying to reassure me, yea id like to play football and hockey, and join the combiners society, shame theres no party pooper society lol.

what subject do u study?

Ba geography, i'm in the geog soc committee this year :smile:.

The sports teams are really good, a friend of mine is on the Frisbee team 'EXTREME FRISBEE' haha.

Honestly you will be fine.
Original post by RipperRoo

Kind of ****ting it since I've heard nothing about accommodation now so I assume I'm not getting it. (local student)

How local are you? Yeah i went out with the people I met in my halls. But, i'm sure you'll find some people. If not just go and talk to people. Its not l; like anyone has any 'real' friends there yet, I spoke to so many people. You just have to kind of throw yourself into it :biggrin:.

Go to daytime activities, and meet people there, then go out on a night with them would be a good idea.
Reply 31
How local are you? Yeah i went out with the people I met in my halls. But, i'm sure you'll find some people. If not just go and talk to people. Its not l; like anyone has any 'real' friends there yet, I spoke to so many people. You just have to kind of throw yourself into it :biggrin:.

Go to daytime activities, and meet people there, then go out on a night with them would be a good idea.

Tynemouth, so like 30 mins on the Metro.

Guess I'll just have to be mega-sociable for once in my life :eek:.
Tynemouth, so like 30 mins on the Metro.

Guess I'll just have to be mega-sociable for once in my life :eek:.

hmm You might not get a place at first but a lot do get places after a few months with people moving in.
But, I would defo make good use of the daytime activities loads of people go to those alone. I recommend Go Ape! haha I can imagine a lot of friendships are made as you help each other on the high ropes.
Reply 33

Well my friend, I'm in the same boat. I expected my results to be horrid and that I'd end up going to my Insurance instead - St Andrews. Which is exactly the quiet, toned down kind of place that I would've loved. So with a twist of fate...
Anyway. I picked Newcastle because it was the only one of the more reputable unis which was offering my course in 3 years instead of 4.

So let us link arms in solitude! I'm sure as hell not going to party hard.

I was given Rick Road, but I'm trying to see if there's anyone out there willing to swap for some place quieter. Ideally Victoria Halls or St Mary's College. Maybe if you're worried about being left out in Leazes, you could try swapping as well? :smile:
Original post by Pearl_Lyng
Well my friend, I'm in the same boat. I expected my results to be horrid and that I'd end up going to my Insurance instead - St Andrews. Which is exactly the quiet, toned down kind of place that I would've loved. So with a twist of fate...
Anyway. I picked Newcastle because it was the only one of the more reputable unis which was offering my course in 3 years instead of 4.

So let us link arms in solitude! I'm sure as hell not going to party hard.

I was given Rick Road, but I'm trying to see if there's anyone out there willing to swap for some place quieter. Ideally Victoria Halls or St Mary's College. Maybe if you're worried about being left out in Leazes, you could try swapping as well? :smile:

oh wow so there is someone like me, i dont think any1 will swap those for castle leazes, i wanted victoria halls but gt my last choice instead. what course are you doing? i only picked newcastle cos its the only one that does combined honours.
Reply 35
oh wow so there is someone like me, i dont think any1 will swap those for castle leazes, i wanted victoria halls but gt my last choice instead. what course are you doing? i only picked newcastle cos its the only one that does combined honours.

Heh. You'd be surprised, actually. I saw one guy on the Newcastle Freshers Week page on facebook earlier who wanted to swap Leazes for his Victoria Hall offer. Provided the Leazes one was self-catered. Here you go:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=143309055734535&topic=99#topic_top
The guy named Alex. :biggrin:

I wanted Victoria Hall really badly too. :/ The rooms there are beyond awesome. But no one wants to swap for Rick Road, I guess.

I'm doing Psychology. What about you? Which two? :biggrin:
Reply 36

Glad to hear from someone in sort of the same boat as myself. I'm also local and wanted to apply for halls but was told by the university that because I was local it would likely be around Christmas time when I was offered a place. This is because the halls fill up and locals are only offered a place when someone decides to quit university or leave for one reason or another. In the end I decided to stay at home and maybe move out after the first year if I meet a group of decent friends to move in with.

I'm also thinking that a lot of people will be going to freshers events with their flatmates but I'm determined to do as many activities as I can to meet people, and by the sounds of it I wont be the only person going to a few events alone at first :smile:
Heh. You'd be surprised, actually. I saw one guy on the Newcastle Freshers Week page on facebook earlier who wanted to swap Leazes for his Victoria Hall offer. Provided the Leazes one was self-catered. Here you go:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=143309055734535&topic=99#topic_top
The guy named Alex. :biggrin:

I wanted Victoria Hall really badly too. :/ The rooms there are beyond awesome. But no one wants to swap for Rick Road, I guess.

I'm doing Psychology. What about you? Which two? :biggrin:

im doing history, eng lit and sociology, are u going to freshers week? ill have a look on the fb group thanks, but i doubt anyone will swap with me, hope to see u soon!
Reply 38
im doing history, eng lit and sociology, are u going to freshers week? ill have a look on the fb group thanks, but i doubt anyone will swap with me, hope to see u soon!

Whoa. Wow, that's a lot to major in. Respect to you, man! I'd die if I had to concentrate on more than one. But I'm sure you'll ace it or you wouldn't have chosen it in the first place.
I might go. I'm not sure yet. I'll go if I can find anyone else whom I can huddle with but won't drag me to the crazier events. (I'd like to live to see the age of 20, thank you very much) :rolleyes: What about you?
No problem! I just stumbled across it on my quest for swapping rooms. Just give it a go anyway. I've nearly found the perfect swap...
Yeah, it's great to meet someone who doesn't want to be all over the social scene. Us loners gotta stick together. :wink:
Whoa. Wow, that's a lot to major in. Respect to you, man! I'd die if I had to concentrate on more than one. But I'm sure you'll ace it or you wouldn't have chosen it in the first place.
I might go. I'm not sure yet. I'll go if I can find anyone else whom I can huddle with but won't drag me to the crazier events. (I'd like to live to see the age of 20, thank you very much) :rolleyes: What about you?
No problem! I just stumbled across it on my quest for swapping rooms. Just give it a go anyway. I've nearly found the perfect swap...
Yeah, it's great to meet someone who doesn't want to be all over the social scene. Us loners gotta stick together. :wink:

I went through so much to find that course! cos i loved all my subjects at college, strange i no but i was at a good college. You can go with me!! i wont b going to the crazy events either. i gave the fb page a go , thought about swapping for henderson hall, but how far away is that? have u got facebook, you can add me if you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending