The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

2 Friends got interview next week - both have over 10A+ - were invited within a few days of sending in application.
Original post by realm
haha
are both of them nice ? :smile:
what ages are they roughly?

My memories of Doc Spruce are a bit hazy with time and first-year alcohol consumption, but I recall some very good lectures on membrane potential and neuronal excitability, and I suspect I might be bumping into into him again for the brain module this year.

Prof Lote likewise is a legend, always very funny and shamelessly plugs his own book for the renal module, but always very endearingly :tongue:.

There are too many characters to count; if and when you're in first year watch out for Professor Jenkinson's brief appearance in MTM to give you a little basic embryology; he's a complete character, from his acetates and OHP usage to trying to demonstrate the shape of a human gastrula to a lecture theatre of 400 hung-over freshers using only a folded up piece of blank A4 paper at the bottom of the theatre :biggrin:.

Dr Brain always amused me; he's a pretty normal lecturer but since he teaches neuropharmacology, his name tickles you.

Ages? Hell idk, stop stalking lecturers missy :wink:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by Friar Chris
My memories of Doc Spruce are a bit hazy with time and first-year alcohol consumption, but I recall some very good lectures on membrane potential and neuronal excitability, and I suspect I might be bumping into into him again for the brain module this year.

Prof Lote likewise is a legend, always very funny and shamelessly plugs his own book for the renal module, but always very endearingly :tongue:.

There are too many characters to count; if and when you're in first year watch out for Professor Jenkinson's brief appearance in MTM to give you a little basic embryology; he's a complete character, from his acetates and OHP usage to trying to demonstrate the shape of a human gastrula to a lecture theatre of 400 hung-over freshers using only a folded up piece of blank A4 paper at the bottom of the theatre :biggrin:.

Dr Brain always amused me; he's a pretty normal lecturer but since he teaches neuropharmacology, his name tickles you.

Wow, sounds v. interesting! Haha Prof Lote sounds rather entertaining! Dr Brain? Is that his real name? Haha, coincidental much :tongue:

Lool naah asking to get an idea of my interviewer and the fact that you mentioned Prof Lote is close to retirement !
Reply 303
Original post by spoinkytheduck
Didnt they up the GCSE cut-off from to 7 to 8 A*s mid-way through the cycle last year? :confused:

Meh, may just be a TSR rumour.. :colondollar:

How would that be in any way fair to half the applicants to suddenly up the entrance requirements, use your common sense and stop listening to bitter people who didn't make the cut.

Original post by realm
Wow, sounds v. interesting! Haha Prof Lote sounds rather entertaining! Dr Brain? Is that his real name? Haha, coincidental much :tongue:

Lool naah asking to get an idea of my interviewer and the fact that you mentioned Prof Lote is close to retirement !

I :heart: Lote
Reply 304
Original post by My-My-My
How would that be in any way fair to half the applicants to suddenly up the entrance requirements, use your common sense and stop listening to bitter people who didn't make the cut.

I :heart: Lote

haha, ahh, an admirer I see...:tongue: do you go to bham ?
Reply 305
Original post by realm
haha, ahh, an admirer I see...:tongue: do you go to bham ?

The clue's in the sig :rolleyes:

EDIT: You can see my sig right??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 306
The clue's in the sig :rolleyes:

EDIT: You can see my sig right??

where's that? :s
usually there's a little arrow thing that you can click to pull down the contents... maybe my eyes are just being funnyy!
Reply 307
Original post by realm
where's that? :s
usually there's a little arrow thing that you can click to pull down the contents... maybe my eyes are just being funnyy!

Well to me my sig says "Third year Birmingham medic" maybe i've got it on a funny setting...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 308
Well to me my sig says "Third year Birmingham medic" maybe i've got it on a funny setting...

I think you do hehe :tongue: ahh so how's life at bham ? Do you live on the campus ?
Reply 309
Original post by realm
I think you do hehe :tongue: ahh so how's life at bham ? Do you live on the campus ?

I lived in Tennis Courts on the Vale in my first year, the past two years I've lived in Selly Oak, which is the student area just 5/10 mins walk from the Uni. Brum is great, that's all I need to say really :smile:
Reply 310
I lived in Tennis Courts on the Vale in my first year, the past two years I've lived in Selly Oak, which is the student area just 5/10 mins walk from the Uni. Brum is great, that's all I need to say really :smile:

Awwh cool...Brum is simply :drool:, will quote you when I think of more questions, :smile:

How was the first-year hall experience ?
Reply 312
Original post by marc_h94
How was the first-year hall experience ?

Noisy. But an experience I'm glad I had. Definitely stay in halls in your first year, if you want somewhere quieter than the Vale try Pritchatt's Park.
Reply 313

In selly Oak did you rent out a house and live or uni accommodation?
Original post by realm

Yes, real name. Maybe he loved neurology so much he changed it by deed poll, but even so it's his name :tongue:.

Even the less entertaining lecturers usually turn out to be complete crackpots, it's great. Prof Wilton might be universally feared for her iron anatomy fist, but once your year gets comfortable with her she's hilarious xD.

They're all nothing on Kumar, i love that guy haha
Original post by gozatron
They're all nothing on Kumar, i love that guy haha

You can't have even had IRM yet, how have you even met him? :tongue:
Reply 317
Original post by reallys
In selly Oak did you rent out a house and live or uni accommodation?

I rent a house privately with 5 friends. It's a right laugh :smile:
Acknowledged :biggrin:
can one get into birmingha medical school with 3A* at gcse's or do they just throw the application away?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending