The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Some advice re: my job

Hi guys,

I'm just looking to see what people think of my predicament. I currently have a great job in Manchester but will be moving to Leeds next month to start uni. I told them two weeks ago that I'd be leaving and they were good about it and, as it's a retail company (I work in one of their offices), even said they'd look to see if they could transfer me into a branch in Leeds. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any positions at the moment and so I could find myself without a job which is a bit of a concern as I don't think I'd last long on my student loan.

However they have offered to keep me on part-time - it would mean commuting back to Manchester to work a Friday afternoon shift and staying the night at the parental home, work a Saturday day shift, and then commute back to Leeds on the Saturday evening.

I'm desperately trying to weigh up the pros and cons to this. The pros: the money I'll be getting is likely to be far better than any other part-time job I'd have in Leeds, my department doesn't teach on Fridays so (presuming my elective modules don't fall on a Friday) it wouldn't clash with any lectures etc, there's a job there waiting for me when I go back to Manchester during the holidays. Plus the commute on the train is less than an hour so it's not a massive journey, and with a railcard wouldn't cost me a bomb (and I'd recoup that and more with my job anyway).

The cons: I'm worried that I'd miss out significantly on the social side of uni, although I'd only be gone for one night a week, and I'd never really settle in properly.

I'm confused as to what decision to make: yesterday I thought it was a great idea but right now I'm thinking I should just pack it in and see if I can find a job in Leeds. Any advice on this?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The weekends actually tend to be quieter than the weeks, that's when people tend to go home, or visit friends. If you can fit it in with lectures etc then it should be fine.

You could see how it goes, and how difficult you find it, and then see if they can find you a job in Leeds, or if you can find a different job there. You might also want to think about asking if you can take the Friday of Freshers and maybe the Friday after as holiday.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
A girl on my course does this, but only every other weekend, though she stays for 2 nights.

She has kept it up through her first two years of uni so it obviously hasn't been too bad for her! She has a full social life etc, so I supoose I'm just giving a case study of how it can be done.

One benefit she has is that it's a mac donalds job, and since they are so impressed by her commitment to the company they have offered her a position in their accounting department when she leaves uni!

I don't think anyone on here can fully answer you, it's one of those hard decisions in life that will take a lot of thinking to make, but I'd just try and follow your feelings as well...

I suppose trying it out for a while shouldn't do too much harm and you can leave if you find it's getting in the way too much- perhaps though ask for fresher's week off if it's not too late, to give you a chance to go to events and bond with friends- this happens pretty quickly so I'd imagine after a fortnight being away for a night a week has much less opportunity to do damage!

Good luck
xxx
Reply 3
Original post by imbuzzinme
Hi guys,

I'm just looking to see what people think of my predicament. I currently have a great job in Manchester but will be moving to Leeds next month to start uni. I told them two weeks ago that I'd be leaving and they were good about it and, as it's a retail company (I work in one of their offices), even said they'd look to see if they could transfer me into a branch in Leeds. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any positions at the moment and so I could find myself without a job which is a bit of a concern as I don't think I'd last long on my student loan.

However they have offered to keep me on part-time - it would mean commuting back to Manchester to work a Friday afternoon shift and staying the night at the parental home, work a Saturday day shift, and then commute back to Leeds on the Saturday evening.

I'm desperately trying to weigh up the pros and cons to this. The pros: the money I'll be getting is likely to be far better than any other part-time job I'd have in Leeds, my department doesn't teach on Fridays so (presuming my elective modules don't fall on a Friday) it wouldn't clash with any lectures etc, there's a job there waiting for me when I go back to Manchester during the holidays. Plus the commute on the train is less than an hour so it's not a massive journey, and with a railcard wouldn't cost me a bomb (and I'd recoup that and more with my job anyway).

The cons: I'm worried that I'd miss out significantly on the social side of uni, although I'd only be gone for one night a week, and I'd never really settle in properly.

I'm confused as to what decision to make: yesterday I thought it was a great idea but right now I'm thinking I should just pack it in and see if I can find a job in Leeds. Any advice on this?

I was in Man last year and my parents live near leeds. The time is not too bad, but the fares are quite expensive. I'd calculate how much of your wage would go into transport before deciding, to see whether it's worthwhile or not.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice guys. I talked it over with my Mum and at the moment we're thinking it better just to leave the job and go to Leeds as I was starting to feel that I would miss out more if I had to keep coming back every week. However my mind keeps jumping back and forth on this so you can see I'm still in two minds.

Maybe it'd be better to keep hold of the job for now and see if I could transfer to Leeds when something came up - I'd definitely ask for the week of Freshers off in any case. Lots to mull over but nice to have a second (and third and fourth) opinion. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest