The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone currently on the Fast stream doing HR? I have no real HR experience and it looks highly challenging, I have just graduated with a 2:1 and would just like some feedback from you guys on how its like.
Reply 2961
Original post by TomDixie
I imagine you'll now have a great chance of getting on to the Fast Stream internally in the next year!

Sadly not. You have to be working in the Civil Service for a full year before you can go through the internal route.
Original post by Chiryu
Sadly not. You have to be working in the Civil Service for a full year before you can go through the internal route.

Oh- that's a real shame. I presumed it would be open to me as soon as I started work there! That said, I don't actually know much about the in-service route - how is it different?

Tomdixie, yeah I've had a couple of conversations with people from the department, and I'm going down soon to have a face-to-face meeting before I start. Haven't been sent my contract yet or anything but I do know that the job is for the Education Funding Agency. I think there might be opportunities for work involving policy, too, which would be great. I'm mainly looking at this year as a way to gain experience before applying to the Fast Stream again but I'm definitely open to staying put if I really enjoy it.

I meant to ask if there were any other EOs or Fast Streamers working in similar areas but forgot - I can only presume there will be others working for the DfE though!
Reply 2963
Congrats, comeluckyapril! Although you may not be able to apply for the in-service scheme yet (each department sets a deadline, and you need to have passed your probation period, and been in service for at least a year by that date) I'm sure all of that experience would help a great deal on the external fast stream application process. For 2014 though, I think you may qualify for in-service. My understanding is that for in-service, the scheme is launched in January, departments nominate candidates by April, they then seat the e-tray exercise in May, and the FSAC in July. Note however, that in-service fast stream does not give access to NI/TiB/Economists/Statisticians/SR/European Fast Streams. If you're in any of those, you have to apply externally (those with banked EACs would have to apply normally, but if their applications are successful, they will be passed straight to the FSAC).
Reply 2964
Original post by randomgeeza
Is anyone currently on the Fast stream doing HR? I have no real HR experience and it looks highly challenging, I have just graduated with a 2:1 and would just like some feedback from you guys on how its like.

No HR work experience is required.
Original post by obamtl
No HR work experience is required.

That's correct but it'd be nice :biggrin: This stream looks challenging and do you or anyone know about the travelling and different destinations? If I want to stay in the West Midlands, would they allow it or take it under consideration?
Reply 2966
Under previous years' schemes, which may change, going forward, there were 2 placements of 18 months each, usually in different departments. It is quite possible that one of them (particularly the first one) could be in your preferred location (though not entirely guaranteed). Either way, with all fast streams, you are expected to show some flexibility, and be willing to move. In my case, for instance, I have been asked to work from offices in Warrington and Blackpool, forcing a relocation from London to Manchester.

When all is said and done, those responsible for allocations work very hard to take into consideration, what you want.
Hi 2012 Fast Streamers

I have a question, basically I've done a few of the tests civilserviceprep.co.uk which vows that it will refund etc if candidates aren't successful in the online tests.

Can anyone tell me if they did these tests too and how similar they were to the actual online numerical and verbal reasoning tests of the recruitment process.
I assume E-tray is pretty accurate but what about the verbal reasoning tests, will we get similar exercises in the actual thing?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2968
And so we've come full circle! A large number of successful fast stream applicants start work today, just as the 2013 scheme opens to applicants!
Reply 2969
Indeed. :smile:

I wish the eould-be class of '13 good luck!
Original post by comeluckyapril
Oh- that's a real shame. I presumed it would be open to me as soon as I started work there! That said, I don't actually know much about the in-service route - how is it different?

Tomdixie, yeah I've had a couple of conversations with people from the department, and I'm going down soon to have a face-to-face meeting before I start. Haven't been sent my contract yet or anything but I do know that the job is for the Education Funding Agency. I think there might be opportunities for work involving policy, too, which would be great. I'm mainly looking at this year as a way to gain experience before applying to the Fast Stream again but I'm definitely open to staying put if I really enjoy it.

I meant to ask if there were any other EOs or Fast Streamers working in similar areas but forgot - I can only presume there will be others working for the DfE though!

Hi ComeLucky

I'm on the TiB scheme at DfE. Are you in Great Smith Street? Send me a PM if you want to meet up.
Original post by Moon Kitten
Hi ComeLucky

I'm on the TiB scheme at DfE. Are you in Great Smith Street? Send me a PM if you want to meet up.

I've PMed you! Anyone else DfE-wise like to meet up? I'm planning on pestering HR for a list of people on the scheme/other EOs, would be great to meet recent graduates!
Reply 2972
I am not sure how many 2012-ers are still hanging about here... but looking to see if anybody can comment on the time to start work after your success/allocation. I was initially told I had an August start date with my allocated department, and yet I wait...

Please PM me if you care to chat/share your experience.
I was told as soon as possible, then they asked me and I said August. That came and went, then I said September and I finally have a date of 1st October so who knows really, it can depend on department and security, but I would chase them up!
Reply 2974
I might be getting in through the Mainstream opportunities, got an email this week and I should know in a week or two if there is indeed a place. As I've been applying for EO jobs anyway then if this pans out I'll be a very happy bunny...

Of course I've still got my '13 e-Tray to take next Friday, but I've done it so many times now that I'm more worried about navigating public transport with my knackered Achilles Tendon than anything else. I might just book a Taxi thinking about it...
Reply 2975
The only one I've managed to fill out completely was a DoJ position, a spell in hospital pretty much put a stop to most things for about a month but I'm literally starting to get back on my feet now. Look after your achilles Tendon kids, when it ruptures its a real pain in the backside, I couldn't even make a cup of tea without breaking a sweat...
Reply 2976
Original post by Stomm
The only one I've managed to fill out completely was a DoJ position, a spell in hospital pretty much put a stop to most things for about a month but I'm literally starting to get back on my feet now. Look after your achilles Tendon kids, when it ruptures its a real pain in the backside, I couldn't even make a cup of tea without breaking a sweat...

Have also managed to get myself a great mainstream job without an interview thanks to just missing the mark at the FSAC, was worth going through that ridiculous process after all!
Original post by Stomm
I might be getting in through the Mainstream opportunities, got an email this week and I should know in a week or two if there is indeed a place. As I've been applying for EO jobs anyway then if this pans out I'll be a very happy bunny...

Of course I've still got my '13 e-Tray to take next Friday, but I've done it so many times now that I'm more worried about navigating public transport with my knackered Achilles Tendon than anything else. I might just book a Taxi thinking about it...

I got that email as well... hopefully, they will let us know soon whether they can match us to a place. Seems like a good starting point to pursuing promotion through the internal stream.

Has anyone else got a role within the civil service through the same way? (narrowly missing out on the FSAC)
Hah, being considered for a role in Defra starting in January through the direct appointments scheme...
Original post by dj_macky
I was at Defra's main office at Nobel House for a meeting recently, and I have to say that it looked like a great place to work. Everyone I met - from the security at reception to the senior managers I was meeting, they were all very friendly, and seem to enjoy their work. A very welcoming atmosphere, I thought.

Are you being considered for a policy role? Good luck!

It's EO rank and I'm not surely what my role would place me within the department... Hopefully, they will elaborate some what before hand. But I'm excited even at the possibility of getting a civil service role in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending