The Student Room Group

Question about the Fast Stream final stage

So essentially the two fast streams I’m currently in the running for are Science & Engineering, and Generalist (STEM). I’ve had my first assessment centre and thankfully passed, but for Science & Engineering, I have to do a second, final assessment board which, to be honest, sounds really difficult.

What I’m wondering is, whether anyone knows that if seeing that Generalist (STEM) doesn’t have this final stage assessment, if I’m not successful at the final stage of Science & Engineering, if I’d still be offered a place as a Generalist? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I’d emailed about it but their response wasn’t very clear

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Max1357913
So essentially the two fast streams I’m currently in the running for are Science & Engineering, and Generalist (STEM). I’ve had my first assessment centre and thankfully passed, but for Science & Engineering, I have to do a second, final assessment board which, to be honest, sounds really difficult.

What I’m wondering is, whether anyone knows that if seeing that Generalist (STEM) doesn’t have this final stage assessment, if I’m not successful at the final stage of Science & Engineering, if I’d still be offered a place as a Generalist? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I’d emailed about it but their response wasn’t very clear

It is possible that you may still be considered for the Generalist (STEM) stream if you are not successful in the final stage of the Science & Engineering stream. However, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements and criteria for each stream and the decisions made by the assessment board.

It's worth noting that the Generalist (STEM) stream may have different qualifications and requirements than the Science & Engineering stream, so it's important to review the job description and eligibility criteria for both streams to determine your suitability.

If you have any questions or concerns about the assessment process or your eligibility for either stream, it's best to contact the relevant recruitment team or HR representative for guidance and clarification. They can provide you with more specific information about the recruitment process and answer any questions you may have.
Hi, this is the only thread I can see that is directly related to the science and engineering stream this year! I am wondering if the science and engineering final selection board tasks (the written and oral) are at all based on the scientific discipline you've done! For someone who has done engineering, it would seem a massive disadvantge to then give them something health/ earth sciences based.......and vice versa/...... does anyone know if the tasks are at all based on you expertise?
Original post by Lolaa-23
Hi, this is the only thread I can see that is directly related to the science and engineering stream this year! I am wondering if the science and engineering final selection board tasks (the written and oral) are at all based on the scientific discipline you've done! For someone who has done engineering, it would seem a massive disadvantge to then give them something health/ earth sciences based.......and vice versa/...... does anyone know if the tasks are at all based on you expertise?

From what I gather for the briefing part, what you write is supposed to be accessible to anyone, not just those with a scientific background. I would assume therefore that the scenario we’ll have to write our briefing for will be very broad and with many different approaches as answers, kind of like the written task at the assessment centre I guess.

Do you have any idea as to whether for the interview part it will mostly be broad, personality-type questions, or more specific, technical questions? I’m kind of concerned about the lack of information we’ve been given to be honest. I may send an email.
From what I gather for the briefing part, what you write is supposed to be accessible to anyone, not just those with a scientific background. I would assume therefore that the scenario we’ll have to write our briefing for will be very broad and with many different approaches as answers, kind of like the written task at the assessment centre I guess.

Do you have any idea as to whether for the interview part it will mostly be broad, personality-type questions, or more specific, technical questions? I’m kind of concerned about the lack of information we’ve been given to be honest. I may send an email.

I'm in the same boat- it feels like the information we've been given regarding the FSB interview section is very broad. Obviously they can't give us specific things to focus on for the kind of questions we'll be asked, but it would be good to know if I should be developing answers to more 'personal' questions, or brushing up on my technical knowledge, or a combination of both. Did you end up sending them an email?
Original post by stemhopeful
I'm in the same boat- it feels like the information we've been given regarding the FSB interview section is very broad. Obviously they can't give us specific things to focus on for the kind of questions we'll be asked, but it would be good to know if I should be developing answers to more 'personal' questions, or brushing up on my technical knowledge, or a combination of both. Did you end up sending them an email?

I did email, yeah, but I received the least helpful response possible. I asked if there were examples of briefings to look over, how the presentation would work in terms of having to make a PowerPoint etc, and what to expect for the interview. I was told:

‘Please note that you will receive the materials only on the day to read and answer the questions.

For your Interview, you will be asked 4 GSE Technical skills, please see the guide page 8 and you will be asked strength based questions to understand your interest and motivations for joining the Science and Engineering Fast Stream.’

So nothing we don’t already know
That’s about as informative as I expected them to be! Thanks so much for letting me know, it’s understandable to an extent but also very frustrating. Did you find that the interview actually ended up being in line with what they said?
That’s about as informative as I expected them to be! Thanks so much for letting me know, it’s understandable to an extent but also very frustrating. Did you find that the interview actually ended up being in line with what they said?

I had my FSB yesterday, and yeah, it basically was, it was essentially all kind of ‘tell me about a time you did this’ or ‘what would you do if’ questions - there were no kind of ‘technical’ subject specific ones.
Reply 8
I had my FSB yesterday, and yeah, it basically was, it was essentially all kind of ‘tell me about a time you did this’ or ‘what would you do if’ questions - there were no kind of ‘technical’ subject specific ones.

Yeah, that makes sense I suppose seeing as we're coming from pretty different science and engineering backgrounds! I hope it went well for you and good luck if you haven't already heard back :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah, that makes sense I suppose seeing as we're coming from pretty different science and engineering backgrounds! I hope it went well for you and good luck if you haven't already heard back :smile:

Thanks! I think the written went well but I definitely screwed up a couple of the interview questions so we shall see. Do you happen to have any idea of when we might hear back? I forgot to ask…
Thanks! I think the written went well but I definitely screwed up a couple of the interview questions so we shall see. Do you happen to have any idea of when we might hear back? I forgot to ask…

I’m sure it went much better than you think! At least there’s a few stages to the FSB so you have the opportunity to raise your score if you don’t do as well in another section, but honestly it always goes a lot better than you think it did at the time.

I think the general timeframe I’ve seen to hear back has been around 1-2 weeks. I don’t have my FSB until May 3rd (terrified 🥲) so they might wait until all FSBs are over before giving anybody feedback, meaning you will most likely hear back by the end of next week or the week after at the latest. I’ll ask in my FSB and can get back to you if you haven’t already heard back by then.
Reply 11
I’m sure it went much better than you think! At least there’s a few stages to the FSB so you have the opportunity to raise your score if you don’t do as well in another section, but honestly it always goes a lot better than you think it did at the time.

I think the general timeframe I’ve seen to hear back has been around 1-2 weeks. I don’t have my FSB until May 3rd (terrified 🥲) so they might wait until all FSBs are over before giving anybody feedback, meaning you will most likely hear back by the end of next week or the week after at the latest. I’ll ask in my FSB and can get back to you if you haven’t already heard back by then.

Yeah, one to two weeks sounds about right. Best of luck for yours!
Yeah, one to two weeks sounds about right. Best of luck for yours!

Thank you! I asked in mine and they said we can expect to hear back by the end of May but hopefully it won’t be as long a wait as that
Reply 13
Thank you! I asked in mine and they said we can expect to hear back by the end of May but hopefully it won’t be as long a wait as that

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know, that’s quite a while but never mind, I will try my very best to not let the waiting drive me insane.

How do you think it went?
Oh okay, thanks for letting me know, that’s quite a while but never mind, I will try my very best to not let the waiting drive me insane.

How do you think it went?

I’m hoping end of May is an “at the absolute latest” sort of situation- I’m not aware of anybody having their FSB for S&E later than tomorrow so if that’s actually the case we might get our results sooner rather than later.

I think it went okay! The time flew in for the written and I definitely rambled a lot during the interview and didn’t say like half of what I’d prepared but I’m hoping I was able to get the right points across anyway 🥲 I found the interview questions a bit stressful but nothing super surprising!
Reply 15
I’m hoping end of May is an “at the absolute latest” sort of situation- I’m not aware of anybody having their FSB for S&E later than tomorrow so if that’s actually the case we might get our results sooner rather than later.

I think it went okay! The time flew in for the written and I definitely rambled a lot during the interview and didn’t say like half of what I’d prepared but I’m hoping I was able to get the right points across anyway 🥲 I found the interview questions a bit stressful but nothing super surprising!

Hello! I had my S+E FSB on the 18th of April so to know we may only be waiting another week is super scary but I just want to know asap! Glad to hear others are in the same boat - and I felt mine went the same!
Reply 16

Yeah 90 minutes for the written was definitely tight. Glad to hear it went quite well though!
Reply 17
Yeah 90 minutes for the written was definitely tight. Glad to hear it went quite well though!

Anyone heard anything yet? It's taking so long!
Reply 18
Original post by Lserjent
Anyone heard anything yet? It's taking so long!

Some people have said they have in the main fast stream discussion, but I’m still waiting. It is somewhat painful
I got the offer on the 11th but I know plenty of people are still waiting to hear back!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending