The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
:lolwut:

:confused:
Original post by Dalek1099
:confused:

How were you confused by Tail Chaser's statement about university? :lolwut: How did it lead you to tell us how many terms we have left of high school? I'm sure everybody is aware of how long we have left.
(edited 12 years ago)
What do you mean by that?7 half-terms till the end of school plus some examination sessions.

:eyeball:

EDIT: This post is kinda redundant, seeing as Mango summed it up :redface:
How were you confused by Tail Chaser's statement about university? :lolwut: How did it lead you to tell us how many terms we have left of high school? I'm sure everybody is aware of how long we have left, although it's only 6 half terms in some places, my school for example should have study leave.

Birth-Nursery-Primary School-Secondary School-College-University-Work-Retirement-Death -No starting over again

You go on study leave after easter,in Y11:eek:-In my school,you have to do another half term!!!
Birth-Nursery-Primary School-Secondary School-College-University-Work-Retirement-Death -No starting over again

You go on study leave after easter,in Y11:eek:-In my school,you have to do another half term!!!

Ohhhhhhh. You're overthinking it way too much :tongue:

I was referring to Jennifer.Tariah's post, where she mentioned 'repeating the cycle'. As in, being new into the school/sixth form/university, moving up throughout the years, and then moving on to wherever it is you're going next.

Hopefully that made a bit more sense! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

:facepalm2:
Reply 2326
(he's counting like 3/4 BTECs as GCSEs :colonhash:)

Oh that makes sense now :tongue:
How many GCSEs ave you included your personal interests in,just wondered.So far:
German(Speaking)
French(Speaking)
English Language(Speaking)
English Literature(Ed Rita CA)
ICT(Unit 21)

I might be able to in Film Studies,from the looks of the specification.
I'm super excited for 6th Form :awesome: We can finally do subjects that we want to do.

I just wish I didn't have to take a +1 hours bus ride to get to the Sixth Form College I want to go to :colonhash: Oh well, excuse to take a day off from school for the open day :ahee:

Oh wow why do you wanna travel that far? :confused:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I can't wait until 6th Form :banana: (Famous last words, ha ha :biggrin:)

Theeeeen after that we have 3+ years at university, and we start all over again :redface:

yeah me too! i get to major in courses im good at! FINALLY! :yay:
i'm thinking of doing, Economics, Spanish.. Maybe- ICT or English Lang. Dunno yet.
What about you?
Original post by jennifer.tariah
yeah me too! i get to major in courses im good at! FINALLY! :yay:
i'm thinking of doing, Economics, Spanish.. Maybe- ICT or English Lang. Dunno yet.
What about you?

I really don't know to be honest :redface: I'm finding it difficult to narrow it down. I kinda want to do 5 AS Levels, but then that will just put extra pressure on me, plus that will mean I do 4 subjects at A2, which is pointless because apparently universities only look at 3. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Philosophy, Physics, ICT and Geography (and yes, I know I can't do all of them! :tongue:) I enjoy Biology and Chemistry, so I'm 99.9% sure that I'll take both of them, but the others I'm less decided on. Maths would be good, but I don't really enjoy it that much if I'm honest. I find Philosophy fun and interesting, but I don't really want to take an essay subject, plus I don't think it's as highly respected as other subjects. ICT I think would be fun and not too difficult, and it would also be appropriate as so much these days relies on computers. My Geography teacher keeps trying to make me take Geography, and I am a bit tempted, but I don't really enjoy it that much at GCSE level.

TL;DR: I have no idea :tongue:
I really don't know to be honest :redface: I'm finding it difficult to narrow it down. I kinda want to do 5 AS Levels, but then that will just put extra pressure on me, plus that will mean I do 4 subjects at A2, which is pointless because apparently universities only look at 3. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, I'm thinking of taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Philosophy, Physics, ICT and Geography (and yes, I know I can't do all of them! :tongue:) I enjoy Biology and Chemistry, so I'm 99.9% sure that I'll take both of them, but the others I'm less decided on. Maths would be good, but I don't really enjoy it that much if I'm honest. I find Philosophy fun and interesting, but I don't really want to take an essay subject, plus I don't think it's as highly respected as other subjects. ICT I think would be fun and not too difficult, and it would also be appropriate as so much these days relies on computers. My Geography teacher keeps trying to make me take Geography, and I am a bit tempted, but I don't really enjoy it that much at GCSE level.

In ICT,you have to do some coursework on a real life situation-very tough,I like ICT but I won't be taking it anyway.I'm pretty sure on Maths,Further Maths,Business and Geography maybe RE or Physics,only if I improve my Physics incredibly though(low B at the moment),Physics just can't be that linked to Maths.My College doesn't do Philosophy.If I was you I wouldn't bother taking Maths or Geography if you didn't enjoy it and replace Philosophy with RE,much more respected-you will probably need an essay subject for a good application because all university degrees require essay writing even maths and you should do the three sciences and RE-Science and RE go well together:tongue:

Yay! A fellow ICT Taker! haha, well its apparent that ICT is not highly value unless its OCR but i school doesn't do OCR so that is what is making me edgy with ICT.

In ICT,you have to do some coursework on a real life situation-very tough,I like ICT but I won't be taking it anyway.I'm pretty sure on Maths,Further Maths,Business and Geography maybe RE or Physics,only if I improve my Physics incredibly though(low B at the moment),Physics just can't be that linked to Maths.My College doesn't do Philosophy.If I was you I wouldn't bother taking Maths or Geography if you didn't enjoy it and replace Philosophy with RE,much more respected-you will probably need an essay subject for a good application because all university degrees require essay writing even maths and you should do the three sciences and RE-Science and RE go well together:tongue:

And once again, seeing as your a top student, you should do Economics instead of business, i know you are already doing 2 Maths subjects, but Economics has bearable maths e.g percentages, stats and others..

Thing is, I enjoy Philosophy a lot more than I enjoy RS. I don't quite see how RS goes better with Science than Philosophy does :s-smilie: I would have thought that Philosophy covers stuff like medical ethics, which would link well with Biology (I'd just like to point out that I definitely don't want to be a doctor, I'm just making an example :tongue: ) I see your point about needing an essay subject though, especially as I have no intention of taking English.

I think the subjects I'm most likely to take are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Philosophy. It's a toss up between Phys and Maths, but I think that Phys is more applied than Maths is (if that makes sense? :s-smilie: I don't really know how to describe it. What I mean is that I think I'm more likely to actually use Physics when I'm older than Maths. Obviously I'll use Maths as well, but I think that A-Level Maths is the quite complicated stuff that doesn't really have a practical use beyond studying Maths at a higher level. Blehh, I can't really explain what I'm trying to say, I hope it's clear enough :tongue: )

Original post by jennifer.tariah
Yay! A fellow ICT Taker! haha, well its apparent that ICT is not highly value unless its OCR but i school doesn't do OCR so that is what is making me edgy with ICT.

I think my school does Edexcel, can't really remember though :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thing is, I enjoy Philosophy a lot more than I enjoy RS. I don't quite see how RS goes better with Science than Philosophy does :s-smilie: I would have thought that Philosophy covers stuff like medical ethics, which would link well with Biology (I'd just like to point out that I definitely don't want to be a doctor, I'm just making an example :tongue: ) I see your point about needing an essay subject though, especially as I have no intention of taking English.

I think the subjects I'm most likely to take are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Philosophy. It's a toss up between Phys and Maths, but I think that Phys is more applied than Maths is (if that makes sense? :s-smilie: I don't really know how to describe it. What I mean is that I think I'm more likely to actually use Physics when I'm older than Maths. Obviously I'll use Maths as well, but I think that A-Level Maths is the quite complicated stuff that doesn't really have a practical use beyond studying Maths at a higher level. Blehh, I can't really explain what I'm trying to say, I hope it's clear enough :tongue: )

I think my school does Edexcel, can't really remember though :s-smilie:

In pretty much the same week at school I was learning Religion in Science and vice versa-very linked,with contradicting and occasionally complimenting ideas.Religous Studies is far more respected than Philosophy.
In pretty much the same week at school I was learning Religion in Science and vice versa-very linked,with contradicting and occasionally complimenting ideas.Religous Studies is far more respected than Philosophy.

Meh, I don't really care about whether or not it's respected. The other three (Bio, Chem, Phys) are respected enough, so it will be nice to have something a little easier that I can relax in :tongue: To be honest Philosophy and RS are similar, I still think that Philosophy is closer to Science than RS is.
Meh, I don't really care about whether or not it's respected. The other three (Bio, Chem, Phys) are respected enough, so it will be nice to have something a little easier that I can relax in :tongue: To be honest Philosophy and RS are similar, I still think that Philosophy is closer to Science than RS is.

My college doesn't offer Philosophy
My college doesn't offer Philosophy

As you've said before :tongue:
As you've said before :tongue:

Are you sure your college does?
Are you sure your college does?

Yep :smile:

Also, just done a bit of Googling... this is from Cambridge's website:

LIST A1