The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I apply to Oxford, and then get AAB in my AS Levels, will I certainly not get an offer for Law (bearing in mind that the A-Level offer is AAA)?

I ask this because it would still be possible to bring the B up to an A with the A2 Course. Even if they loved me on the interview, would AAB not cut it at AS Level?
Reply 3981
Original post by legalreality
Not true. Quite a few colleges require you to wear gowns to formal hall.

I know - I go to one. They do not, however, require you to go to formal hall, and offer an alternative meal which is less formal and doesn't have a dress code.
Reply 3982
Obviously formal isn't compulsory. You'd be foolish not to go at least sometimes I've always felt though :rolleyes:

I know this; reread my answer and that's what I said. :p:
Original post by Mills98
If I apply to Oxford, and then get AAB in my AS Levels, will I certainly not get an offer for Law (bearing in mind that the A-Level offer is AAA)?

I ask this because it would still be possible to bring the B up to an A with the A2 Course. Even if they loved me on the interview, would AAB not cut it at AS Level?

Firstly you apply after you have your AS results. Secondly you would need to be predicted AAA to have any chance. Not sure how much of a chance though, remember Oxbridge have more than enough candidates who impress at interview.
Hey guys, here are my grades:
A*AAA (A level, Maths, FM, Physics and chem respectively)
A*A*A*A*ABBBB (GCSE)

I want to apply for Engineering Science at Oxford but also don't want to waste a spot with 100% rejection chance, so can I apply with a decent chance at making interview?

Thanks a lot!
Hi all,
I'm considering medicine at Oxford and have got a good set of AS Levels (4 As excluding General Studies) but got 10 A*s out of a possible 14 at GCSE. I know these results are far from 'bad' but it leaves my GCSE A* percentage at just 71%... does that matter much in the application process? I know that they rank the applicants using A* proportion AND number of A*s (as well as BMAT performance) so I am just wondering whether it would be a sensible decision to apply?

Thanks
Bump
Reply 3987
If you don't have the capability to read the entry requirements on Oxford's website then no, I don't think you stand a chance
Original post by Mills98
Can you be predicted AAA without getting AAA at AS Level, say AAB?

potentially yes, especially if the B was a high one.
Reply 3989
What are your GCSE's like?
What were your AS subjects?

I got 4A*s and 9As for GCSE
my AS subjects were History, Biology, German, Critical thinking and politics
Original post by J_W-x
If you don't have the capability to read the entry requirements on Oxford's website then no, I don't think you stand a chance

Well, I've read the entry requirements but i've heard from teachers that entry requirements don't mean anything, what I was asking was not whether or not I was eligible to apply but whether I could make a competitive application, but thanks for your informative reply.
Reply 3991
If they wanted people of a higher intellectual calibre, then they would up the entry requirements. The only situation in which someone with better grades has an advantage is when two candidates performed equally well in interviews.
I think its safe to say your chance of rejection would be lower than 100%, yes.
Reply 3993
You're likely to get an interview, but your success will ultimately depend much more on your interview than on your previous grades.

Of course it you score very badly on the PAT (which Engineering Science applicants take) you might not even make it to interview. It's certainly worth a shot, just remember not to get too hung up on your grades in comparison to other applicants.
Original post by Dandaman9999
Hi all,
I'm considering medicine at Oxford and have got a good set of AS Levels (4 As excluding General Studies) but got 10 A*s out of a possible 14 at GCSE. I know these results are far from 'bad' but it leaves my GCSE A* percentage at just 71%... does that matter much in the application process? I know that they rank the applicants using A* proportion AND number of A*s (as well as BMAT performance) so I am just wondering whether it would be a sensible decision to apply?

Thanks

The answer would depend on how much you want to go to Oxford as opposed to elsewhere, and what your chances of getting in elsewhere are.

As a general statement though, as you can see from the graphs quoted above (you are probably 80-89 bracket considering the number of A*s), your chances are not unreasonable.
GCSE's are slightly below average, but not to the point where your application is hopeless.

Scroll down to the charts on this link:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

and also read:

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/bmat-gcses-and-short-listing/what-is-the-cut-off-for-gcses

I think if the Oxford course stands out to you and you really like the idea of it you should apply. Medicine everywhere is crazily competitive and you lose nothing by giving it a go.

Original post by nexttime
The answer would depend on how much you want to go to Oxford as opposed to elsewhere, and what your chances of getting in elsewhere are.

As a general statement though, as you can see from the graphs quoted above (you are probably 80-89 bracket considering the number of A*s), your chances are not unreasonable.

Thank you both. I will think it through thoroughly and see whether it is worth giving it a go
Reply 3996
I'm predicted AAB and I'm gonna do EPQ and have law specific work experience, I know this isnt a great set of grades but what could I do to improve my application for law at Oxford at this stage? I'm also going to resit the B so should hopefully be an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ErinnnC
I'm predicted AAB and I'm gonna do EPQ and have law specific work experience, I know this isnt a great set of grades but what could I do to improve my application for law at Oxford at this stage? I'm also going to resit the B so should hopefully be an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would almost certainly need to be predicted at least AAA, as that is the entry requirement. Ask your teachers if that's possible. Otherwise you'll need to do well in the LNAT to be invited to interview, and then well in the interview to be accepted.
I got a A in IT, A in Government and politics, B in history and a C in English language (which I have consequently dropped) but people have been telling me to apply for oxford as I am predicted A*AA (something that I am confident about getting. My attendance was poor for AS year and I'm not sure if I should apply or if it would be a waste of a choice. If not oxford then what about Imperial London or UCL. I got 2A* 4A and 6B at GCSE and I was wondering if it was worth a shot. I've also heard on the news that oxford are not letting people in because they don't have cash money in their bank account or something? Is this true as I am pretty skint and so is my family. Any ideas? Thanks!
Original post by Obliteration
I got a A in IT, A in Government and politics, B in history and a C in English language (which I have consequently dropped) but people have been telling me to apply for oxford as I am predicted A*AA (something that I am confident about getting. My attendance was poor for AS year and I'm not sure if I should apply or if it would be a waste of a choice. If not oxford then what about Imperial London or UCL. I got 2A* 4A and 6B at GCSE and I was wondering if it was worth a shot. I've also heard on the news that oxford are not letting people in because they don't have cash money in their bank account or something? Is this true as I am pretty skint and so is my family. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'll be blunt though it may be better for you to hear it from someone with more authority.

Without knowing what course you'll be studying it'd be very very unlikely you would get an interview with those grades. Most applicants will have AAAA / AAAB AS-levels at least and the A's that you have got are not in traditional / facilitating subjects, under-performing in the stronger arts (History / English) will count against you. Your GCSE's are also below the average applicant. The final few sentences are rubbish though.

Latest

Trending

Trending