The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oxbridge have some of the lowest applicants per place of any universities

Of any? Really?
I'm at nottingham mate - and a few friends at nottz law school have straight A's and AAB worse case scenario, ok maybe one or two people with ABB.

I suggest you go to a decent Uni, study Law then fulfil your fantasy of studying at Oxbridge by applying to do a masters, hopefully after having achieved a 1st from your other Uni. Being realistic, BCC is not great to get you in a top a top Law School, the top 10 all ask for AAA/AAB and it drops down to like BBB etc.
Reply 582
Original post by j_pratt_2003
Of any? Really?

Self-selection bias.
But do call around and explain your circumstances, or do more A-levels, there is always options but maybe your path to Oxbridge isn't meant to be JUST yet. Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham are all amazing institutions, broaden your horizons.
Original post by WallStreetWolf
But do call around and explain your circumstances, or do more A-levels, there is always options but maybe your path to Oxbridge isn't meant to be JUST yet. Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham are all amazing institutions, broaden your horizons.

So would doing more A levels give me better chances on getting on a good Law course? Would I be able to get into a reasonable uni would with new grades even taking in account the AS grades that I got this year? Or would my AS grades still go against me?
I'm at nottingham mate - and a few friends at nottz law school have straight A's and AAB worse case scenario, ok maybe one or two people with ABB.

I suggest you go to a decent Uni, study Law then fulfil your fantasy of studying at Oxbridge by applying to do a masters, hopefully after having achieved a 1st from your other Uni. Being realistic, BCC is not great to get you in a top a top Law School, the top 10 all ask for AAA/AAB and it drops down to like BBB etc.

I do not mind this idea, I did not even realise they did masters? But do you think they take in consideration my grades at A level though or would they just look at your degree at a 1st?
Original post by Argent-chan
So would doing more A levels give me better chances on getting on a good Law course? Would I be able to get into a reasonable uni would with new grades even taking in account the AS grades that I got this year? Or would my AS grades still go against me?

Call up the Universities that you're interested in - and see what they say. Maybe enquire about getting a reference from a college teacher you get on with so it looks convincing etc... Not that you're lying but they might not buy it over the phone if you see where I'm coming from.

But yeah - call up asap!
and go onto Oxfords and Cambridge's website - and browse around for Postgraduate/Masters programmes - google it. I'm 99% sure you can.
Call up the Universities that you're interested in - and see what they say. Maybe enquire about getting a reference from a college teacher you get on with so it looks convincing etc... Not that you're lying but they might not buy it over the phone if you see where I'm coming from.

But yeah - call up asap!

I think that will be worth doing. @_@ See what they would prefer!
Also a late idea, but there are unis which do foundation law degrees.
That might be a way into their law course- But my concern is the money spent for that year at university?
It would be cheaper re-doing A levels.
It would really have to be worth my while more than doing two years at college to concider it. Dx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Because 4 years of A levels is not very impressive, regardless of the circumstances. (Unless of course you have some kind of disability).

Surely thats irrelevant, OP said he took new A-levels after his 2nd year, so theres no exam resitting. I think providing he completes these new A-levels within two years, he should be treated just the same way as most other applicants are.His GCSE is the issue, not his A-levels.
Original post by Argent-chan
I think that will be worth doing. @_@ See what they would prefer!
Also a late idea, but there are unis which do foundation law degrees.
That might be a way into their law course- But my concern is the money spent for that year at university?
It would be cheaper re-doing A levels.
It would really have to be worth my while more than doing two years at college to concider it. Dx

yeah do your a-levels again.

Something like Law, Maths, Economics, History or a something like that.
To be honest it sounds doubtful that you'd be interviewed for Oxbridge. If I were you, I would set my hopes on other universities. You really don't need to go to Oxbridge to be a good lawyer. Good luck!
Reply 592
Original post by physicsfuntimes
My sister's about to go to Oxford to study Earth Science!

...Anyway, as long as you have other places you're happy with, you may as well give it a go! What subjects do you do? If they are relevant, you may well get an interview. From then on, you can impress them and they won't care about GCSEs or predictions as a good interview will outweigh these or at least give you a fighting chance. As long as you can get that A* at A2, as it will be part of the offer. Is there any way to persuade teachers to predict you A*AA? They may not begrudge you, especially if you plan to get one (obviously necessary for Oxford) and if you say how much an AAA prediction may hold you back. Teachers are human sometimes :redface:

Bio, Chem and Maths.

Don't think i'll be able to be predicted A*, my teachers are only giving it to people who achieved 90% + at AS. I know that I'm capable of getting that but I just messed up at AS. Hopefully I can prove my teachers wrong and get A*A*A* at A2 haha.

What grades did your sister get?
My grades:

GCSE: 9A*, 1A (English lit :mad:) and a Distinction* in ICT, at quite a low performing school (so hoping for the standardisation thing that puts your results in context with the schools results.)

A-Level: 4A's at AS, carrying all 4 to A2. Doing an EPQ, done an Open University course on Medicines/Drugs.
Predictions: A*AAA (Not fully sure, but very probable due to all teachers saying "AS result = A2 prediction")

Course: Medicine at (One of the colleges, yet to decide).

My questions:
1) Would this be enough? (Please no neg, I am being serious)
2) Do Oxford look at UMS scores at all? I mean, so far everywhere I go, they say "no", but would they ask for them in a worst case scenario? (Saying this as one of my UMS wasn't what I was hoping)
3) Would the fact that I am Russian/fluently bilingual in both English and Russian count for me or against me in the application?
4) Do I have a realistic chance of interview? (Considering my personal statement is a decent one, as I consider it that way, after being checked by about a billion people, a lot of which with medical backgrounds).
5) Is it better to put in an open application or a specific college one? (There is a college I want to go to, but they only have 4 med places and I am scared of being overpowered (mentally) by opposition and lose the place)
6) Off-topic again, but are there any colleges which are slightly easier to get into for medicine?

Many many thanks to the people who read and try to answer the above. Hopefully +rep and the personal satisfaction of helping somebody will be a great enough reward :biggrin:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by The Russian
My grades:

GCSE: 9A*, 1A (English lit :mad:) and a Distinction* in ICT, at quite a low performing school (so hoping for the standardisation thing that puts your results in context with the schools results.)

A-Level: 4A's at AS, carrying all 4 to A2. Doing an EPQ, done an Open University course on Medicines/Drugs.
Predictions: A*AAA (Not fully sure, but very probable due to all teachers saying "AS result = A2 prediction")

My questions:
2) Do Oxford look at UMS scores at all? I mean, so far everywhere I go, they say "no", but would they ask for them in a worst case scenario? (Saying this as one of my UMS wasn't what I was hoping)
3) Would the fact that I am Russian/fluently bilingual in both English and Russian count for me or against me in the application?
4) Do I have a realistic chance of interview? (Considering my personal statement is a decent one, as I consider it that way, after being checked by about a billion people, a lot of which with medical backgrounds).
5) Is it better to put in an open application or a specific college one? (There is a college I want to go to, but they only have 4 med places and I am scared of being overpowered (mentally) by opposition and lose the place)
6) Off-topic again, but are there any colleges which are slightly easier to get into for medicine?

Many many thanks to the people who read and try to answer the above. Hopefully +rep and the personal satisfaction of helping somebody will be a great enough reward :biggrin:.

1. Your grades are absolutely fine, but Medicine is so competitive that even with stellar grades you can't be sure to get in.
2. No, they don't look at UMS but if you have any really high UMS scores get them mentioned in your reference.
3. It won't have an effect, positive or negative. It is obviously a good asset but it won't carry any weight in this process.
4. We can't be certain, but you have a very good chance.
5. An open application is generally a bad idea (according to my deputy head) as you often get left to near of the bottom of the pile. Where is the college you want to go to? Even if there are only 4 places, you can always get pooled.
6. It isn't a good idea to start being tactical with colleges, they are all tough, especially for medicine, so apply to the one you like the most.
Reply 595
Argent-chan,

I am a current student at Oxford and I specifically registered so that I could contribute.

Academic achievement is closely interlinked to academic potential, and your academic achievement does not indicate that you have the required academic potential for Oxford. Even if you truly are Oxford material - your application is likely to be thrown out before you can make a meaningful impression at interviews - simply because there are too many applicants and even if you do have what it takes at Oxford, you have not demonstrated it compared to another applicant of similar capability but have done so.

I was in a similar situation with you, having obtained B C and E at my only A Levels a couple of years back. Indeed many have given me the advice to simply join a less academically rigorous university and then proceed to Oxford for graduate study if I truly wanted to.

But I didn't want to simply go to Oxford.

I took the bold choice of redoing my pre-university education (another 2 years, yes!). The world was against me, much like they are against you now. Yet I knew, genuinely, that I was capable of attaining the very best this time round.

I applied to Oxford with perfect predicted grades, an astonishing testimonial and backed it up with perfect SAT scores (in hindsight it was ridiculous to include it into my UCAS application although legally I was obliged to).

If you truly want to retake the A Levels, I urge you to consider within you the purpose it will serve. If you simply are taking the A Levels to defer entry into university with the hope that somehow things will change, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed in another two years. But if you have removed whatever obstacles that are currently hindering you, and are ready to do what it takes and know with a high degree of certainty that you will succeed, I wish you all the best.

Original post by Profesh

In the almost-seven years since I first joined TSR not once have I encountered a successful Oxbridge candidate with your grades

Here I am.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hash007
Bio, Chem and Maths.

Don't think i'll be able to be predicted A*, my teachers are only giving it to people who achieved 90% + at AS. I know that I'm capable of getting that but I just messed up at AS. Hopefully I can prove my teachers wrong and get A*A*A* at A2 haha.

What grades did your sister get?

My sister was predicted A*A*AAA I think, maths fmaths bio chem and history. They didn't accept history and she got an offer of AABB. She was also one of the very few people at interview with no previous (or existing...) interest in rocks, which led to some interesting interview stories...

Chem bio and maths, good solid subjects :smile: As long as Oxford believe you can get an A* (get busy convincing them by being good at interview) then you have a fair chance. Good luck :smile:
Original post by The Russian
My grades:

My questions:

1) GCSEs are obviously fine. Seems like you've done a lot but obviously medicine is very competitive.
2) If you don't put UMS on your UCAS application they won't see them. If you do, they will obviously look at them but as they won't get everyones, it is unlikely to make a huge difference unless you scraped all your As, etc... if you did, just don't put UMS on the application :smile: they don't require you to.
3) Don't see why it would count against you, as long as your english is fine. Nice to have another language but maybe irrelevant to the application.
4) Realistic, yes. In reality, who knows? The outlook is optimistic at least!
5) Open application = you could end up somewhere you don't like (not that you'd mind once you got there at all!) but you're no less likely to get an offer. The colleges don't get told if your application was open, I don't think. Go for the college you like, and see how it goes. Open applications are fine, you won't be disadvantaged AT ALL. But you may as well pick somewhere you like the look of!
6) No idea, but highly doubt it. Some will be harder, ie the big popular ones that everyone applies to, but the chance of getting a place at Oxford is equal across the board. Applying to certain colleges does not make you more likely to get an offer. You may just be more likely to get into the one of your choice, if that makes sense.

Good luck!
Original post by rdsnell
1. Your grades are absolutely fine, but Medicine is so competitive that even with stellar grades you can't be sure to get in.
2. No, they don't look at UMS but if you have any really high UMS scores get them mentioned in your reference.
3. It won't have an effect, positive or negative. It is obviously a good asset but it won't carry any weight in this process.
4. We can't be certain, but you have a very good chance.
5. An open application is generally a bad idea (according to my deputy head) as you often get left to near of the bottom of the pile. Where is the college you want to go to? Even if there are only 4 places, you can always get pooled.
6. It isn't a good idea to start being tactical with colleges, they are all tough, especially for medicine, so apply to the one you like the most.

Thanks for all of that :biggrin:. Yeah I got told that an open application also limits you on what to say when posting the 'Oxford/college specific' personal statement thing to them. I want to apply to Jesus, but I'm scared of just having a crowd of much better people applying and getting interviews/places and me being kicked out :frown:.
Even though Ox pool is much better than Cam pool, being pooled kinda still makes it less likely to get in. And it gives you another interview (:eek3:)
Original post by physicsfuntimes
1) GCSEs are obviously fine. Seems like you've done a lot but obviously medicine is very competitive.
2) If you don't put UMS on your UCAS application they won't see them. If you do, they will obviously look at them but as they won't get everyones, it is unlikely to make a huge difference unless you scraped all your As, etc... if you did, just don't put UMS on the application :smile: they don't require you to.
3) Don't see why it would count against you, as long as your english is fine. Nice to have another language but maybe irrelevant to the application.
4) Realistic, yes. In reality, who knows? The outlook is optimistic at least!
5) Open application = you could end up somewhere you don't like (not that you'd mind once you got there at all!) but you're no less likely to get an offer. The colleges don't get told if your application was open, I don't think. Go for the college you like, and see how it goes. Open applications are fine, you won't be disadvantaged AT ALL. But you may as well pick somewhere you like the look of!
6) No idea, but highly doubt it. Some will be harder, ie the big popular ones that everyone applies to, but the chance of getting a place at Oxford is equal across the board. Applying to certain colleges does not make you more likely to get an offer. You may just be more likely to get into the one of your choice, if that makes sense.

Good luck!

Thanks for replying first of all. Yeah, most med applicants there have more and the average is like 9-10A*'s and I am just average :frown:.
Our school disallowed us to put module grades on, which kinda annoyed me for the other 3 subjects, but whatever the school says, goes.
Thanks for that :smile:. Exactly the same thing that I thought. Tbh I would be happy anywhere in Oxford, since I looked at most colleges and I don't have a problem with location AS LONG AS there is a tennis court nearby (which is a yes for Jesus college), so yeah that is all really.
Yeah, I do not even know whether Jesus is a popular college (off topic, but only once), so does anyone know whether Jesus particularly popular?
Thanks for that once again.

Edit: On hindsight I should've merged the 2 replies, but I didn't realise that somebody replied to me at the time of posting of above comment.

Latest

Trending

Trending