The Student Room Group

Have you done these AS/A Level subjects?

I'm doing Biology & Chemistry.

& Considering:
-Psychology
-Archaeology
-Environmental Studies
-French

Have you taken any of these and could vouch for/against them? I have my enrolment tomorrow and need to decide on 4 subjects for AS!

Please...If you have ANY knowledge on the subjects and can help in any way then reply! Thankyou! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I did Psychology A-level with the Edexcel board.

I honestly did love it but it was a lot more essay and evaluation based than I originally thought. It may be different for different boards but we had to learn quite a few studies and theories and be able to describe and evaluate them as well as apply them to senarios, it was a lot more evaluation and description than application though. It depends what you want really, if you're comfortable learning facts and writing essays then you'll probably do pretty well in it, it depends what you're expecting from the subject and what your strengths are. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mojojojo
I'm doing Biology & Chemistry.

& Considering:
-Psychology
-Archaeology
-Environmental Studies
-French

Have you taken any of these and could vouch for/against them? I have my enrolment tomorrow and need to decide on 4 subjects for AS!

Please...If you have ANY knowledge on the subjects and can help in any way then reply! Thankyou! :smile:

I do French and love it:smile: but then I'm a huge fan of languages! I don't know anything about Archaeology or Environmental Studies, but my friend did Psychology and found there was loads to learn, which is fine if you're really really interested in it, but less so if you're not. How did you do in French at GCSE? I'd say all your subject possibilities would go well with Biology and chemistry, but French is probably the most 'solid' out of the four others you're contemplating, in regard to how highly the top universities consider particular subjects. Good luck with whatever you choose:smile:
Reply 3
Archaeology? What sort of stuff do you learn in that?
Reply 4
Original post by liviluck
I do French and love it:smile: but then I'm a huge fan of languages! I don't know anything about Archaeology or Environmental Studies, but my friend did Psychology and found there was loads to learn, which is fine if you're really really interested in it, but less so if you're not. How did you do in French at GCSE? I'd say all your subject possibilities would go well with Biology and chemistry, but French is probably the most 'solid' out of the four others you're contemplating, in regard to how highly the top universities consider particular subjects. Good luck with whatever you choose:smile:

I actually got an A* :confused:, but i feel like i hardly know anything! People my age have said 'don't do it, you'll regret it', but then people have said that about every subject. My two sciences are to keep my options wide, because with those two, i can still pretty much do anything.

It's so hard to decide without trialling them though :/
Reply 5
I was thinking of either dropping French or English at AS, and I've decided that I'm dropping neither. French was fantastic! The workload wasn't too much; essays were only about 200-250 words; the topics were really quite interesting, like homosexuality and gay marriage, divorce etc etc; the exam wasn't too bad at all- you can rewind the tape for the listening exam however many times you want and the writing's just one essay in 45mins-1hr... but the experience is different everywhere: my board was AQA; my teachers were fantastic; there were only 5 people in my class and all at a pretty high level. If you're confident in your ability in French, I'd say go for it. It's really rewarding, and universities love languages since fewer and fewer students are choosing to study them!
Reply 6
I do French. It's great, however, if you think you won't dedicate a lot of time to it, I wouldn't recommend it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by becky louise
I did Psychology A-level with the Edexcel board.

I honestly did love it but it was a lot more essay and evaluation based than I originally thought. It may be different for different boards but we had to learn quite a few studies and theories and be able to describe and evaluate them as well as apply them to senarios, it was a lot more evaluation and description than application though. It depends what you want really, if you're comfortable learning facts and writing essays then you'll probably do pretty well in it, it depends what you're expecting from the subject and what your strengths are. :smile:

We're doing one where you have to learn 15 studies in the first year, then like 72 or something horrendous at A level. Someone told me they loved it so much they're now becoming a criminal psychologist....But at the college on an open evening it did seem very essay based. I thought it would be about learning what causes schitzophrenia and stuff, but apparently it's just memorising studies and people who have had it! :/
Reply 8
I actually got an A* :confused:, but i feel like i hardly know anything! People my age have said 'don't do it, you'll regret it', but then people have said that about every subject. My two sciences are to keep my options wide, because with those two, i can still pretty much do anything.

It's so hard to decide without trialling them though :/

Oh and don't worry about feeling like you know nothing! I got an A* too and felt the same- because you honestly can't figure out how you got such high marks. French AS is genuinely not that difficult. It's really fun, and an academic subject, without too intense a workload. Remember that although you feel like you know nothing, you're going to be pitted against the rest of the country, who in general, aren't great at languages. I'd suggest getting a french pen-pal- then you can really gauge how good your conversational french is and where you could become better. :smile:
I'm sorry lad but you NEED maths in there. Then as your last pick History/English Lit/French. Trust me, you'll have a top set of AS level subjects if you do.
Reply 10
I do chemistry, and don't find it that interesting. It all depends on what you want to do at uni and what you would enjoy doing most.

(p.s. I got an A* in french at GCSE too, and feel I know nothing about it)
Did Psychology, AQA. Wasn't as good as i thought it would be. Pretty boring in fact, just learning names of psychologists. Some of the actual theory and stuff was good but that was really not the course it seemed. I was disappointed and ended up being unmotivated to work at it and have dropped it for A2. Hmm. Probably will get negged by the billions of psychology lovers out there for this... :biggrin:
i did psychology with AQA. there is a lot to learn but i found it very interesting so it eased the workload. AS isn't very essay based but A2 is. pick it if you're interested in the subject, otherwise the workload will be overwhelming.
Reply 13
I just did some research and the Psychology course i'd be doing is OCR. Nothing on French though :/
I just did some research and the Psychology course i'd be doing is OCR. Nothing on French though :/

I do OCR Psychology. It is terrible. The course is absolutely shocking. I'm afraid i'd completely advise against doing it. For AS you basically have 1 exam on how to conduct a study, and then an exam on core studies. And by core studies, you just memorise facts from 15 different psychological studies and how to apply validity/reliability/etc to such studies over and over and over again. Before I started AS I had a huge passion for psychology and would enjoy reading psychology-related books years above my level, but this course completely put me off and by the end i just didn't bother learning it or revising. It was so ridiculously boring (however this is just OCR).
Although, the A2 level course does seem a looooot more interesting, but AS was a drag. :frown:

French, however, is amazing. I may not do it but I look over all the work my friends do in French and read their work for them to check for errors etc. I've even looked at past papers and such as. I would seriously advise taking French if you love the language (though be prepared for a considerable jump either from GCSE-AS or from AS-A2) and are prepared to put in the effort :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by manic_fuzz
I do OCR Psychology. It is terrible. The course is absolutely shocking. I'm afraid i'd completely advise against doing it. For AS you basically have 1 exam on how to conduct a study, and then an exam on core studies. And by core studies, you just memorise facts from 15 different psychological studies and how to apply validity/reliability/etc to such studies over and over and over again. Before I started AS I had a huge passion for psychology and would enjoy reading psychology-related books years above my level, but this course completely put me off and by the end i just didn't bother learning it or revising. It was so ridiculously boring (however this is just OCR).
Although, the A2 level course does seem a looooot more interesting, but AS was a drag. :frown:

French, however, is amazing. I may not do it but I look over all the work my friends do in French and read their work for them to check for errors etc. I've even looked at past papers and such as. I would seriously advise taking French if you love the language (though be prepared for a considerable jump either from GCSE-AS or from AS-A2) and are prepared to put in the effort :biggrin:

Ahh god! I'm so confused now! I am quite like you (always wanted to do psychology, but from that lady explaining and droning on i've started to reconsider!) :frown:
French seems good at AS...But dreadful at A2!
'Four broad topics areas are studied at AS: media, popular culture, modern lifestyles and family and relationships. Each of these is examined in some depth so that students may find themselves discussing the dangers of the internet, the impact of an advertising ban on French state television channels and the use of mobile phones by young people, all under the banner of media.' :smile:

'At A2 the format is similar in that three topics are studied in depth. These are: the environment, multicultural society and social issues. New to the A2 year is an in-depth study of two cultural topics, which may mean the study of a novel, play,architect, film director or period of 20th century history. A2
students are currently studying Voltaire’s Candide, a famous eighteenth century tale combining adventure and philosophy and the buildings of Jules Mansart, architect to Louis XIV.' :angry: :angry: :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh god! I'm so confused now! I am quite like you (always wanted to do psychology, but from that lady explaining and droning on i've started to reconsider!) :frown:
French seems good at AS...But dreadful at A2!
'Four broad topics areas are studied at AS: media, popular culture, modern lifestyles and family and relationships. Each of these is examined in some depth so that students may find themselves discussing the dangers of the internet, the impact of an advertising ban on French state television channels and the use of mobile phones by young people, all under the banner of media.' :smile:

'At A2 the format is similar in that three topics are studied in depth. These are: the environment, multicultural society and social issues. New to the A2 year is an in-depth study of two cultural topics, which may mean the study of a novel, play,architect, film director or period of 20th century history. A2
students are currently studying Voltaire’s Candide, a famous eighteenth century tale combining adventure and philosophy and the buildings of Jules Mansart, architect to Louis XIV.' :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yeah, i'm not going to lie, the AS part is just terrible and can barely be considered psychology :frown:
Could you take it for AS and then drop it for A2? If not, you never know, you might enjoy it. You're likely to get a choice at A2 of something that you'd particularly want to study and therefore would probably enjoy it more? Although, i have heard of people having to push their way through works of Voltaire... (though i personally love Voltaire :tongue: ). If you think the AS would be good i'd advise picking it up, and then as the year goes on you may see A2 as more appealing than you first though!
Ooh, and I see your location is also Devon? :wink: Good choice! :lol:
Reply 17
Yeah, i'm not going to lie, the AS part is just terrible and can barely be considered psychology :frown:
Could you take it for AS and then drop it for A2? If not, you never know, you might enjoy it. You're likely to get a choice at A2 of something that you'd particularly want to study and therefore would probably enjoy it more? Although, i have heard of people having to push their way through works of Voltaire... (though i personally love Voltaire :tongue: ). If you think the AS would be good i'd advise picking it up, and then as the year goes on you may see A2 as more appealing than you first though!
Ooh, and I see your location is also Devon? :wink: Good choice! :lol:

Haha yes, mid/south devon.

It's so gutting that the college chose to do the worst exam board for psychology :/
I just can't decide!
I feel like i'm gonna get half way through...Hate everything, and just drop out! :frown:
Haha yes, mid/south devon.

It's so gutting that the college chose to do the worst exam board for psychology :/
I just can't decide!
I feel like i'm gonna get half way through...Hate everything, and just drop out! :frown:

Ahh i'm North :tongue:

Yeah :frown: Ooh gawd, i'm sure you won't drop out, well, if you're still considering psychology (mine was probably a worse experience because i had an absolutely terrible teacher and our lessons were from 3:30pm - 6pm after school!!) then you can look here if you want to take a peek at all the studies which you'd be covering :smile:
Reply 19
Ahh i'm North :tongue:

Yeah :frown: Ooh gawd, i'm sure you won't drop out, well, if you're still considering psychology (mine was probably a worse experience because i had an absolutely terrible teacher and our lessons were from 3:30pm - 6pm after school!!) then you can look here if you want to take a peek at all the studies which you'd be covering :smile:

I know what sort of studies they are from a homework they set! But thanks :smile: A few seemed interesting with Eve White/Black etc. Psychology is very interesting - I just got the short straw on this exam board!
What other A levels did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest