The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Godfrey Peters
Are you sure its as many as 40? MillB's post (above) says her cousin started at 20 something and got to 8th on the list two years ago. That suggests they took fewer than 20 from the waiting list that year.:confused:

I should imagine it varies greatly each year. Out of the 400 or so offers they give out I can't imagine the exact same amount of people fail to meet the grades each year.
There's 280 places, so if one year 270 meet their offer, 10 get in off the waiting list. The next year 240 meet their offer, then 40 get in off the waiting list. Both are perfectly possible scenarios.
Reply 781
I havn't been on here for a while, but I've just firmed Cardiff! Great place and It's my home uni! :biggrin:

Incase anyone/future applicants are wondering;
6A* 5A's GCSES (24 points)
4a's AS
UKCAT: 645

All the best people on getting your grades! :biggrin:
Reply 782
well i have all 4 rejections and on the waiting list for cardiff
i have nothing to lose so im going to accept being put on the list!
Are you sure its as many as 40? MillB's post (above) says her cousin started at 20 something and got to 8th on the list two years ago. That suggests they took fewer than 20 from the waiting list that year.:confused:

her cousin moved up the list because others on the list didn't meet the grades. i'm not sure how she knows which number she started off and finish off at? anyway, they may have taken in more than 20, but she was the 8th to be offered a place.
this year about 40 people have come in and i've been told it has been a similar number for a few years - these are numbers quoted at student-staff meetings!
Original post by laurenlouise
Aww right thank you very much, so when should I look at other courses through clearing because if I don't get in through the waiting list I think I'm still going to go to uni then apply post grad? Sorry to be a pain :smile:

it's always a bit of a mad rush after results to go through clearing and get a place on another course, and people normally do it straight after they get their results which mean places fill up quickly. the thing with the waiting list is that you can't hold any other offers if they are to offer you a place, so i'm not sure where you'd stand from a clearing point of view. i'd ring them and ask :smile:
Original post by Elwyn
I should imagine it varies greatly each year. Out of the 400 or so offers they give out I can't imagine the exact same amount of people fail to meet the grades each year.
There's 280 places, so if one year 270 meet their offer, 10 get in off the waiting list. The next year 240 meet their offer, then 40 get in off the waiting list. Both are perfectly possible scenarios.

numbers have been pretty constant in the past few years because they have been giving out less offers so as to avoid going over the number of places the course is allocated - they are fined per student if this happens, and they always used to go over. because of this they end up accepting ~40 off the waiting list PLUS people who were given an offer and didn't make their grades.
Original post by studentdoc
her cousin moved up the list because others on the list didn't meet the grades. i'm not sure how she knows which number she started off and finish off at? anyway, they may have taken in more than 20, but she was the 8th to be offered a place.
this year about 40 people have come in and i've been told it has been a similar number for a few years - these are numbers quoted at student-staff meetings!

Thanks
Does anyone know roughly how likely they are to accept students who firm but then don't make their offers?
Reply 788
Original post by beth.19
Does anyone know roughly how likely they are to accept students who firm but then don't make their offers?

99% chance they won't accept you. They have plenty of other applicants on the waiting list who would've made the grades. The only time they will accept you is maybe if there were significant extenuating circumstances documented at the time of the examination.
Reply 789
Firmed! Now to apply for accommodation, which would anyone say is the best?
Yes I think I'll have to give them a ring thank you for the help!! :smile:
Reply 791
Original post by MillsB
Firmed! Now to apply for accommodation, which would anyone say is the best?

Tally court is the nicest, but it depends on whether you get into a social flat or not. Not tally south, I don't like it at all too much noise etc. Up tally North as long as it's not reduced because those rooms are tiny and it's the closest to Tesco... this should be a major deciding factor :smile:
Original post by beth.19

I wouldn't say chances are as low as 99% against. I didn't make the grades - and cardiff was my insurance, but i was still offered a place! I know of quite a few others who missed their grades too. And you have more chance of getting in if you miss your grades by, say, one grade than getting in off the waiting list, because they appreciate that academics is not the most important part of being a doctor - after all you have been given an offer based on your interview/PS and obviously were deemed to have an edge over the waiting list students. I was told i had been offered a place based on my interview, and that they had come to the conclusion i would cope with the course fine even though i didn't get the grades.
I guess it goes without saying that this does not apply if you epically fail all of your exams!

I wouldn't say chances are as low as 99% against. I didn't make the grades - and cardiff was my insurance, but i was still offered a place!

Basically I applied saying I was retaking, but now I'm not, so instead of my offer of 36 points at IB I have 35. Figured I'll wait until results time (ib) to inform them of my grade and just keep my fingers crossed I guess. I should mention this is for the foundation course, so there are 16 places and I think they make about 28 offers? I'm not sure how good my chances are but I'm sure as hell gonna give it a go.
on the offer letter on ucas, it said i have to submit photocopies of my certificates. does anyone know if this includes gcse ones or just the a-level ones??

also, it said that they would send CRB and an Occupational Health Questionnaire. has anyone with an offer got this yet?? if not, do you know when we get them? is it only after firming cardiff??
Reply 795
applied for halls!
Original post by nahim9393
on the offer letter on ucas, it said i have to submit photocopies of my certificates. does anyone know if this includes gcse ones or just the a-level ones??

Just photocopy 'em all to be safe. Or you could ring and ask.

also, it said that they would send CRB and an Occupational Health Questionnaire. has anyone with an offer got this yet?? if not, do you know when we get them? is it only after firming cardiff??

I haven't received it yet either. Don't worry, it'll come.

I wouldn't say chances are as low as 99% against. I didn't make the grades - and cardiff was my insurance, but i was still offered a place! I know of quite a few others who missed their grades too. And you have more chance of getting in if you miss your grades by, say, one grade than getting in off the waiting list, because they appreciate that academics is not the most important part of being a doctor - after all you have been given an offer based on your interview/PS and obviously were deemed to have an edge over the waiting list students. I was told i had been offered a place based on my interview, and that they had come to the conclusion i would cope with the course fine even though i didn't get the grades.
I guess it goes without saying that this does not apply if you epically fail all of your exams!

I won't be going on the waiting list so it doesn't affect me but it seems unfair to give preference to people who get offers and then fail to get the grades. It isn't all about academics but performance at 15-20 interview is not a good guide to who will be the best doctor. Some applicants get coached by their schools on how to write their PS and do interviews which gives them an advantage. Grades are a fairer measure of ability.
Reply 798
It isn't all about academics but performance at 15-20 interview is not a good guide to who will be the best doctor. Some applicants get coached by their schools on how to write their PS and do interviews which gives them an advantage. Grades are a fairer measure of ability.

But schools can also have an impact on grades, what with some schools giving extra tuition out of hours that some other students just dont have access to. Plus with science A levels you have the practicals that I know neighbouring schools just tell the students what to write which gives them nearly full UMS marks. A girl I know got 60/60 on her chem practicals but 2 Bs in her exams and a boy at my school who has an offer for chemistry at oxford got 56 or 57/60 for his practicals.
So tbh you could argue grades can be influenced more by schools than interview performance. Also the people who are on the application panel would have some experience in all this so I don't think they'll be fooled by textbook answers.
I do agree, however, on the fact that a fair few personal statements are probably heavily edited by schools. I know someone at my school (admittedly doing vet - still similar criteria though) who basically had people write it for her (i was foolish enough to do parts myself, she told me i was just helping her 'rephrase' what she'd already written)
I won't be going on the waiting list so it doesn't affect me but it seems unfair to give preference to people who get offers and then fail to get the grades. It isn't all about academics but performance at 15-20 interview is not a good guide to who will be the best doctor. Some applicants get coached by their schools on how to write their PS and do interviews which gives them an advantage. Grades are a fairer measure of ability.

Yes, it seems so at first, but at the end of the day, the offer for medicine used to be ABB - the course didn't get harder, the number of applicants increased. The course is about so much more than academia, you could get ten A*s and make a terrible doctor and not be able to cope with the course. Why would they want someone who was very intelligent but when it came down to it, wouldn't make as good a doctor as someone else with one lower grade?
Interviewers know straight away when you've been coached for an interview - your answers will be too polished and obviously rehearsed, and they don't take kindly to it. They have interviewed thousands of applicants over years and years, and so they're experienced enough to be able to tell, and it's very rarely these people are offered places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending