The Student Room Group

has anyone passed their driving test first time?? please reply

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I passed first time too. :smile: My advice is just treat it as a normal lesson. Remember to check your mirrors and blindspots! Very, very important, but so easy to forget (if you have a memory like mine :tongue:)
(edited 12 years ago)
I did :biggrin: best advice i can give - Just keep calm and relaxed, the more stressed and nervous you are the more likely you are to make mistakes :biggrin:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Yup I did. Was a combination of mentally being prepared to take it again so less pressure on myself, and a good test route where I knew the area very well.
I passed first time around, but there is a hell of a lot of luck involved, I know people who failed because of the actions of other drivers that were practically impossible to respond to without doing something that would fail them.
On my test we pulled up before the next road to do a reverse round the corner, which I hated with a passion, when another guy out on test went round us and reversed into where I would have.
I then got turn in the road and bay park.
I probably would have messed up the corner from nerves, and the guy who did it instead of me failed, sooo....yeah, fair bit of luck.
Just breathe and try to go with the flow :smile:
Passed first time, after driving for 5 months. My advice is, relax. First of all, if you have your own car, use it rather than your instructor's. It shows your examiner that you know how to drive your own car safely, not just the super power-assisted car your instructor uses. If you are inclined to drive aggressively or slightly fast, tone it down. You might know you're in complete control, but your examiner doesn't know you, and his life is in your hands. You don't want him to feel nervous at any point. Don't take it to the other extreme either. If you hesitate too much and drive too slow, he might fail you for that (though he might understand that you're just being extra cautious). Pay attention to your surroundings. If you go over a speedbump too quickly, tell him 'oops, that was a little too fast'. It shows you knew there was a speedbump and were paying attention. If you make a mistake, might be worth mentioning it (unless you were speeding, in which case slow down and hope he hasn't noticed :P). CHECK YOUR MIRRORS. Especially for motorbikes and bicycles. Even if you've never seen one while practicing before, chances are there's going to be one just for your big day. You want to show you can drive safely and calmly and are aware of your surroundings. What you do after you pass is up to you.

I really didn't think I'd pass first time as my older brother had failed 3 times before passing, so I just went and thought to myself, 'ok, this is like a mock exam. You don't have to pass first time, just do your best and try to make the least number of mistakes as possible'. I was super surprised when he counted up my numerous minors and casually said I'd passed.
Reply 45
I did! (: it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Oh, and after I passed I felt so shaken I had to get my dad to drive me home xD
I passed first time :smile: the only advise i would give you take it slow in the first few mins until you have relaxed and remember to stay relaxed and concentrate until you are back at the test centre :smile:
Good luck :smile:
Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~

Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~
Oh, and after I passed I felt so shaken I had to get my dad to drive me home xD

Well, legally you would have to get someone who is insured to drive that car once you pass your test as your provisional insurance is no longer valid. Unless, you ring up the insurance company straight away to get your insurace. :teehee:

:colonhash:
I passed first time.
I passed first time; 4 minors :smile: You'll be fine, you're obviously ready/good enough if your instructor believes you're ready :smile:
Good luck
Reply 51
I passed first time after doing a weeks intensive course :smile: 3 minors!!

Just stay calm and drive how you normally would as your instructor would not have said your ready otherwise :smile:

Also, if you feel that you have messed up, don't worry about it just carry on :smile:

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 52
Yep, passed 1st time with 4 minors :biggrin:

A helpful tip...try not to feel compelled to concentrate entirely on keeping the speedometer at EXACTLY the speed limit.

It's ok to go a little bit slower (between 5 and 8 mph below the limit) if this helps you concentrate more on the road, mirrors etc...

I did this otherwise every couple of seconds I would go :eek: what speed am I doing????

Having my driving instructor in the back helped a tiny bit, but that's just down to preference...

Good luck! :smile:
I passed first time - yay! Best piece of advice that I ever got was 'don't panic if you stall because it will be a minor fault for car control. So, just put your foot on the brake, gears into neutral, handbreak on and then turn on your car. Don't forget all mirrors and blindspots as you pull off and make sure your indicators are doing the right thing! As soon as you don't do your checks you're at a major fault'. Very handy as I then proceeded to stall on my driving test (god knows why... I've never been much of a staller all the time I drive to be honest).
I did :smile: good luck.
Reply 55
I passed at 9:30 this morning first time 1 minor!!

i was so chuffed! the examiner said that was one of the best tests iv had in 2 and half year!!

just treat it like a lesson guys!
My sisters both failed first time, but me (i'm female) and my 2 brothers passed first time. Just depends if you get lucky i guess and if you practised enough. Some people are also just naturally better at driving than other people, it totally depends on what you're like as a driver, but you've got as good a chance as anyone else :smile:
Reply 57
Passed first time in August. Genuinely didn't think I would because I think I'm a rubbish driver but my instructor said to me on the last lesson before the day of my test that he was willing to put money on me passing.

Ended up passing with one minor and my instructor said to me in a sarcastic way as I got out of the car "I'm disappointed, you got a minor, I didn't think you'd get any!"

The whole basic driving aspect is second nature to me now as I had actually been driing with my dad for two years before hand although I never practiced any minouvers with him. It was just luck all that I had to do was reverse into a wide space at the end of the test.
Reply 58
I passed first time with 4 minors.

2 of my friends passed first time, 3 passed second time, 1 passed third time.
Reply 59
Its not too hard to pass first time, I did it. Remember the examiner can only fail you for something that you do wrong. Its all about just driving and responding in the way you would in real life situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending