The Student Room Group

Oxbridge graduates in unemployment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
wow :O i did not expect every single oxbridge to find employment immediately after graduation,but did not expect so many to fail in this aswell!
my neighbour has been an oxford student for about a month now - perhaps if i was to organise for her some thing to do for working experience at my place of work during christmas,easter + summer breaks she might have better prospects come graduation.......

Depends where you work - if its the type of work she wants to do after graduating then sure. If its completely different then it can't hurt, but it may not be much of an advantage either.

'Internships' are all the rage though - the economists and lawyers go frantic applying for them for over summer :rolleyes:
Original post by Erich Hartmann
My big boss also tends to hold that view, in fact if it is up to him he won't even interview oxbridge grads simply because he has the perception that :-

i) They tend to have bad attitudes. Actually this perception came about previously when they used to favour Oxbridge grads but usually ended up that they came with a certain degree of arrogance stemming from the institutions they attended.

ii) Difficult to train....... they had many who thought they were hotshots and knew more than our big boss.

iii) Poor team players, especially when you put them under a supervisor who is a rank & file or came from a redbrick uni. The air gets to their head that they went to Oxbridge hence they must be better than the supervisor who must be an idiot.

iv) Many had asked for higher salaries but the reality of it is they couldn't perform any better than someone who came from any other Russell Group unis. Hence they never found it necessary to pay the premium.

v) This is what my boss once told an interview candidate, if we wanted to know what your professor or what the author of the textbook said then we would have hired that person directly.... therein is the biggest issue why we stopped favouring Oxbridge grads and put them on the same level playing field as any other Russell Group unis.

Was your big boss from Oxbridge himself, or was he (as I suspect) a high flyer from another university? Because I have found that the Oxbridge effect works both ways - it's an advantage with Oxbridge educated employers but then it can be an active disadvantage with non-Oxbridge educated employers because of the reasons you have said. There is a certain chippiness from some people who know they are bright and get rejected by Oxbridge, they always have a bit of resentment towards it and towards the fact that their peers that were accepted by Oxbridge had an easier ride on the way up, so they are more likely to discriminate against Oxbridge grads and towards ones that they see had a similar environment to themselves.

As for whether those perceptions are true I don't think they are as a general rule but I know where they are coming from. In general most Oxbridge grads have the full package, Oxbridge helped them to get some opportunities but then they took them and they have great internships and very well rounded experience so they don't have to play on the Oxbridge thing, if anything they play it down because they don't want to seem like they are bragging about it. But you do meet a certain type of Oxbridge grad who doesn't have much else and they retreat into their Oxbridge background and become fiercely defensive of why Oxbridge is the best and why Oxbridge grads are a cut above anybody else. You see it on TSR as well, most Oxbridgers don't go on about it but there are one or two that are all over the forums arguing at every opportunity that Oxbridge grads are somehow different and a 2:1 from Oxbridge is better than a 1st elsewhere and so on.

I don't think Oxbridge has quite the golden ticket factor that it used to, I was talking to my uncle about this (who was Oxford PPE) and he reckons its due to globalisation, when he graduated in the 70s the financial services sector in the UK was very much a British Oxbridge thing, but now its a global market and people are working with Germans, Swiss, Chinese, Americans etc who are educated in their own country or at other international universities and they aren't in awe of Oxbridge. There will still be a lot of Oxbridge people in good jobs because they are bright but the international bosses and clients won't be kissing their backsides just because they see Oxbridge on the CV.

Another point is the relative decline of the UK and rise of other nations in economic and other terms, has taken the edge off how Oxbridge is viewed internationally. The UK establishment is still dominated by Oxbridge grads, politics, Whitehall etc, whenever people object to this dominance they get met by the dismissive claim of it being a meritocracy, "the Oxbridge grads run the country because they are the best and brightest". But are they really? I reckon the best and brightest are running their own businesses etc, the 'establishment' is more that class of mediocre Oxbridgers that have got where they are through their background and connections. Look at the leaders of the three political parties now, Cameron, Clegg, Ed Miliband, all Oxbridge grads, they don't inspire confidence that they are the top talent and I bet not one would be where they are if they had been to say Manchester or Sheffield uni. I would think if you view the UK through an international lens they probably see this as a peculiar jobs-for-the-boys culture that is partly responsible for the decline of the UK and not something they want to infect their businesses.
Original post by Harry S Truman
Yeah, that's the entire ****ing point. We don't get to Cambridge and study hard for three years to end up flipping burgers once we graduate.

It appears you have very little chance of that. Cambridge history graduates seem to have little aptitude for catering.

Their actual destinations (of those in work) is

1 11% Media associate professionals
2 9% Teaching professionals
3 9% Business and finance associate professionals
4 9% Sales and related associate professionals
5 8% Business and statistical professionals
6 8% Administrative occupations: General
7 7% Administrative occupations: Records
8 5% Artistic and literary occupations
9 5% Administrative occupations: Government and related organisations
10 5% Elementary occupations

72% of those in work had graduate jobs. However, the key statistic is that Cambridge historians have a 6% better chance of a graduate job than Oxford historians
Reply 63
I don't know why so many people are in disbelief. It's like they've never looked at a job description before.
Its not a golden ticket, but if people were to listen to the careers advice, go the networking evenings arranged by colleges and do internships, they will stand a pretty good chance. If they think the degree alone deserves to get them a job well...
Reply 65
I have been part of the corporate world and it is not all that it's cracked up to be. I was making 6 figures, traveling, partying and have now given up all of my possessions, left everything behind and am in London with my Galaxy Tab, living the vagabond life. Most of the kids today don't realize that it is not like the old days. University degrees are so commonplace they have lost all meaning. University is a big business and its customers are finding out that they have been sold a bill of goods. Prestigious names even like Oxford and Cambridge mean nothing without experience and money and if a person who graduates from a college in India can do just as good a job for a tenth of the cost.

These students need to go back to their universities and ask for a refund and spend the money on something more useful and this is really quite old news.
Reply 66
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Another point is the relative decline of the UK and rise of other nations in economic and other terms, has taken the edge off how Oxbridge is viewed internationally. The UK establishment is still dominated by Oxbridge grads, politics, Whitehall etc, whenever people object to this dominance they get met by the dismissive claim of it being a meritocracy, "the Oxbridge grads run the country because they are the best and brightest". But are they really? I reckon the best and brightest are running their own businesses etc, the 'establishment' is more that class of mediocre Oxbridgers that have got where they are through their background and connections. Look at the leaders of the three political parties now, Cameron, Clegg, Ed Miliband, all Oxbridge grads, they don't inspire confidence that they are the top talent and I bet not one would be where they are if they had been to say Manchester or Sheffield uni. I would think if you view the UK through an international lens they probably see this as a peculiar jobs-for-the-boys culture that is partly responsible for the decline of the UK and not something they want to infect their businesses.

This is the correct response but you are forgetting the one thing even more important then Oxbridge and that is the prep schools. The prep schools like Andover, Exeter etc provide the basic platform for life, and it doesn't even matter what college you attend after attending a good prep so I am sure that if that is the case at home it is 100x the case here in Ye Olde Traditional England where class means everything.
Original post by nulli tertius
Even if you include further study within the definition of employment (which obviously favours Oxford) the University of Oxford doesn't have the highest employment rate for full time first degree students amongst universities in the UK. Indeed, it doesn't have the highest employment rate for full time first degree students amongst universities in Oxford!

Cambridge is somewhat better. It is right up there with Edge Hill and only a tad behind Huddersfield.

Of course the statistics change when you start looking at graduate jobs alone.

I can't find a link to any results showing grad jobs only. Mind sharing?

I've seen plenty of tables showing 'employment', but I've always known those figures are BS.
Original post by cocacola2
I can't find a link to any results showing grad jobs only. Mind sharing?

I've seen plenty of tables showing 'employment', but I've always known those figures are BS.

I am afraid it is a methodology rather than a link!

Go to http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/. Choose a university and a subject area. Search. Ignore the column "% of employed with grad job". From the results click on the relevant course. You will see 6 tabs. Select the tab, "Employment Prospects". Go down to the bottom pie chart and total the %ages of those working and those working and studying. That is your proportion of those in employment. Then multiply that %age by the proportion having a graduate job (out of all those with jobs) in the top pie chart. Then you know how many of the total cohort got graduate jobs within 6 months of leaving, by university and course.

Some of the figures can be quite shocking. Only 28% of people reading Greats at Oxford had a graduate job and amongst those 28%, almost 9% were tutoring ("teaching professional" but obviously not doing a PGCE) at some level or other.

I am afraid it is a methodology rather than a link!

Go to http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/. Choose a university and a subject area. Search. Ignore the column "% of employed with grad job". From the results click on the relevant course. You will see 6 tabs. Select the tab, "Employment Prospects". Go down to the bottom pie chart and total the %ages of those working and those working and studying. That is your proportion of those in employment. Then multiply that %age by the proportion having a graduate job (out of all those with jobs) in the top pie chart. Then you know how many of the total cohort got graduate jobs within 6 months of leaving, by university and course.

Some of the figures can be quite shocking. Only 28% of people reading Greats at Oxford had a graduate job and amongst those 28%, almost 9% were tutoring ("teaching professional" but obviously not doing a PGCE) at some level or other.

Thank you very much. This will keep me busy for a while :biggrin:
Was your big boss from Oxbridge himself, or was he (as I suspect) a high flyer from another university? Because I have found that the Oxbridge effect works both ways - it's an advantage with Oxbridge educated employers but then it can be an active disadvantage with non-Oxbridge educated employers because of the reasons you have said. There is a certain chippiness from some people who know they are bright and get rejected by Oxbridge, they always have a bit of resentment towards it and towards the fact that their peers that were accepted by Oxbridge had an easier ride on the way up, so they are more likely to discriminate against Oxbridge grads and towards ones that they see had a similar environment to themselves.

Current job is Zurich and Basel based, almost everyone is a Swiss national and as far as I know no one is Oxbridge educated, though a few have Harvard or Stanford MBAs.

When my job was still London based with the same institution I'm in now, had 4 main bosses I reported to. The most immediate one was a rank & file person who doesn't even have any university level qualification, he was a stock and bonds trader from Germany. The 2nd above him is a Brit who is Oxbridge qualified both degree and MBA level. The one above him is an American dude who is LSE and Harvard educated, and the top bloke I reported to is a Swiss who had Swiss qualifications and an Oxford MBA.

As for whether those perceptions are true I don't think they are as a general rule but I know where they are coming from. In general most Oxbridge grads have the full package, Oxbridge helped them to get some opportunities but then they took them and they have great internships and very well rounded experience so they don't have to play on the Oxbridge thing, if anything they play it down because they don't want to seem like they are bragging about it. But you do meet a certain type of Oxbridge grad who doesn't have much else and they retreat into their Oxbridge background and become fiercely defensive of why Oxbridge is the best and why Oxbridge grads are a cut above anybody else. You see it on TSR as well, most Oxbridgers don't go on about it but there are one or two that are all over the forums arguing at every opportunity that Oxbridge grads are somehow different and a 2:1 from Oxbridge is better than a 1st elsewhere and so on.

Full package? Usually those that are successful would have been successful with or without the Oxbridge education. To me most Oxbridge grads are just another grad as they are to most companies... again like another post I told you, your university education is only relevant to your first grad job...... after that your work experience and skill set developed from the workplace is far more important than what qualifications you hold.

I don't think Oxbridge has quite the golden ticket factor that it used to, I was talking to my uncle about this (who was Oxford PPE) and he reckons its due to globalisation, when he graduated in the 70s the financial services sector in the UK was very much a British Oxbridge thing, but now its a global market and people are working with Germans, Swiss, Chinese, Americans etc who are educated in their own country or at other international universities and they aren't in awe of Oxbridge. There will still be a lot of Oxbridge people in good jobs because they are bright but the international bosses and clients won't be kissing their backsides just because they see Oxbridge on the CV.

When you start out at a grad job with any big companies the most you'd ever come anywhere near a big boss is probably at the company xmas party :biggrin:

As for it being a golden ticket.... contrary to what TSR populace like to think, a 1st class even from Oxbridge won't be a golden ticket... and neither would a 1st class + a HD Masters. In fact it wasn't too long ago that a lot of us in the City type jobs thought getting a Harvard or Ivy League MBA was a sure ticket for a US$150k job per year in USA and a lot of us used to save up and plan for that eventuality when we could finally afford that career break to pursue that MBA... now you'd be lucky to have a job after that Harvard MBA.

While I don't dispute your uncle's stand, there are more to it than just globalisation... one of the main things that have changed is most industries have changed to become knowledge based industries... while it's not disputable that Oxbridge grads will get jobs not all of them will get jobs in the field they have graduated in.... but as with anything it is what you gain from your time at university that counts.... not just the degree, unfortunately this is where most Oxbridge grads fail as opposed to those from Redbricks or even plate-glass unis... too many spend too much time buried in books and journals that they don't know anything else. Once interviewed an Oxford grad that told me he had a keen interest in stocks and followed keenly the LSE. he couldn't even name 5 companies on the FTSE 100 but he knew how the indices were calculated and could calculate really complex stuff in seconds without a calculator.... well he made a good teacher.

Like the class-system UK is still entrenched in the past glories :smile: Oxbridge is just another one of those.....having said that it shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

UK as a nation is declining on other things, the higher education however isn't one of them, relatively speaking it is still a fairly good one considering how little it will cost you even with the new fees structure. The main problem is the decline in quality of graduates that are coming out of these institutions..... for this I blame the political establishment for politicizing the nation's education system rather than poor academics.

Personally the brightest definitely aren't in politics, these leave the country at first opportunity usually for USA or these days anywhere and everywhere else but EU countries. But then most people are more than happy that the brightest aren't in politics as they feel it is more a representation of them :smile:

Oxbridge as a whole, their importance in UK will always be there but as you said globalization is changing the world and invariably higher education will need to reflect this, surprisingly many EU countries and USA are changing to reflect this, alas UK institutions are still in reverse gear as they much rather talk about where a new muslim prayer room will be or how unsafe a classroom is and how unfair it is that monies is being cut from their bloated budgets rather than just getting on with it.
Reply 71

Once interviewed an Oxford grad that told me he had a keen interest in stocks and followed keenly the LSE. he couldn't even name 5 companies on the FTSE 100 but he knew how the indices were calculated and could calculate really complex stuff in seconds without a calculator.... well he made a good teacher.

:laugh:

aww poor lad :h:

I had a very close friend that did Accounting as his BA. He's not one of the smartest I know but he's driven. I noticed that he likes to look at the stock market when we were in the library, talks about insurance; how he sells them, the clients, his role in the company and all.

He's selling insurance while he was studying at the uni at the same time working at Starbucks.

He's a great guy. Even though I have no interest in his field, insurance or anything related, I kept on asking him about it because I just love how he's so passionate and determine about it.

Really nice guy. One in a million :smile:
Reply 72
Why would anyone want to work for an employers that that doesn't value work experience? Books aren't everything--common sense.
Reply 73
I'm Cambridge and I reckon I'd find a 'normal' job too boring and not intellectually challenging enough for me. However, out of necessity/wanting a good salary I might have to apply for one at some point in the future. However, compared to someone more down to earth I'm worried I'd be worse at the job. I reckon that, instead of doing what I'm told, I'd be perennially coming up with new ideas on how to improve the company and challenging my superiors on the best way to complete various objectives.

I just think that certain types of minds work better in different situations. Someone who's excellent at academic work in Oxbridge might not be able to find an outlet for that talent in a real job, making them appear mediocre.
(edited 12 years ago)
In my experience, universities largely exist as job-creation schemes for the unemployable. Students are there as an afterthought.
In my experience, UK universities exist as job-creation schemes for the unemployable. State funding keeps the ball rolling.
Reply 76
Original post by 3nTr0pY
I'm Cambridge and I reckon I'd find a 'normal' job too boring and not intellectually challenging enough for me. However, out of necessity/wanting a good salary I might have to apply for one at some point in the future. However, compared to someone more down to earth I'm worried I'd be worse at the job. I reckon that, instead of doing what I'm told, I'd be perennially coming up with new ideas on how to improve the company and challenging my superiors on the best way to complete various objectives.

I just think that certain types of minds work better in different situations. Someone who's excellent at academic work in Oxbridge might not be able to find an outlet for that talent in a real job, making them appear mediocre.

AKA someone arrogant and egotistical thinks they are too intelligent for every 'normal' job, employers realise this and don't hire them.
We had 2 oxbridge law graduates come to our college to tell us about applying for oxbridge etc. After 1 year still hadnt found a job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by 3nTr0pY

Wouldn't academia be perfect for you?
Personally know of 7 Oxbridge grads who has been jobless for more than a year.

2 from Oxford, both in Law, 1 is a 1st and has outstanding results in his BPTC..... no pupilage until now. The other one is a 2:1 and did very well for her BPTC but also no pupilage.

The 5 from Cambridge, mixture of all grades, one thing common among all 5, they weren't from well off backgrounds and 3 comes from a scientific type background but not a single one had an interview since graduating in 2010 or if they get called for an interview they don't make it to the 2nd round.

Then one is an econs grad with a 1st, I tried to hire her but she failed at the last round, my boss asked her why she would make a better employee than the other candidates, her answer made everyone chuckle, she said she graduated from Cambridge. I thought she had potential but my bosses found her to be too academic.

The other one has a law degree but is hell bent on being an investment banker, her grades are fine, her CV is fine too but can't speak a sentence without S or F words coming out of her mouth and even in an interview she would say it. I marvelled her courage and cockiness, she would make a great investment banker if someone would give her the chance, but she has too much pride to change her ways and therefore she has been jobless for the last year.

Because they have behaviours that doesn't befit an Oxbridge grad.

why doesn't she start trading for herself then?

sure, she wouldn't be making millions and it would take a while before she started making lots of money daily....

but if she has the ability, she could do it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending