The Student Room Group

How can i do well in GCSEs?

Hey,

Okay so I have just started year 11 and I started with good attitudes that I really want to do well and aim for A/A*. Am going to get 10 GCSEs at the end of the year which I now isn’t a lot for some of you guys. I have already completed Religious studies (A*) and French ( C ). I’ve also completed Maths ( A) but am re sitting to see if I can get an A* and re sitting Core science I got a B but want an A.

On top of all the do I have History GCSE, Geography GCSE, English Lang and Lit, Citizenship, Additional Science, and Business Studies.

Don’t get me started on the COURSEWORK.

Oh and i also have AS MATHS! which i just don't get.... which worries me as i want to do it in college. Is A LEVELS worse then this.....

Am finding that I have just too much to do and am just so tired all I want to do when I come home is sleep. How can I change me attitude back to positive again. Am not a very bright person so if I don’t put the effort i wont get the grade.

How did you guys get through GCSEs? If you have any tips I would appreciate it a lot!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Can you get rid of the AS Maths? That's probably adding a lot of additional work and you'll probably not do as well in it this year than if you leave it until next year. It's not giving you any advantage by sitting it early.
*through. Just work regularly and consistently throughout the year and you will do more than fine.
Just revise. GCSE is a lot of reading a revision guide and listening in lessons then just remembering it in an exam. Just think, if you work hard now, it'll be easier when it comes to exam time and you'll be done before you know it....then on to AS levels but whatever.
Reply 4
Listen and write notes. That should be it until about a month before exam time start revising building up slowly. <-- Pretty much what i did except the listening and writing notes part and i did pretty decent by the average standards (couple As and Bs). Should get you A*s if you are clever. If not just constantly revise and have no friends.
Reply 5
i did AS maths a year early and kinda regret not dropping it
if you feel worried about feeling overworked drop it you have next year.

GCSE's are quite easy past papers and practise
with coursework try to get ahead so you have more exam practise time.

man thing don't panic you will breeze it
mail for advice on revision, i am pro
Make VERY concise revision notes for each subject and revise them often until you know them very well. For Maths it is also very important to do lots of practice questions.
Reply 7
Original post by Nymthae
Can you get rid of the AS Maths? That's probably adding a lot of additional work and you'll probably not do as well in it this year than if you leave it until next year. It's not giving you any advantage by sitting it early.

Unfortunately no my class is the top set and top sets do GCSEs one year early and finish it in year 10 instead of it at year 11 and do AS in year 11. I actually wanted to Maths and F. maths at AS since a really liked Maths GCSE but As Maths is just so confusing and i really don't understand it but i have but my GCSE first. do you think i should leave maths and not do it at college
Reply 8
Original post by SolarElephant
*through. Just work regularly and consistently throughout the year and you will do more than fine.

Yeah that is what i want to do but am too tired i want to fall asleep in class.
Reply 9
Original post by AmyTownshend
i did AS maths a year early and kinda regret not dropping it
if you feel worried about feeling overworked drop it you have next year.

GCSE's are quite easy past papers and practise
with coursework try to get ahead so you have more exam practise time.

man thing don't panic you will breeze it
mail for advice on revision, i am pro

THANKS... so whats the most effective way to revise? should i start now?? or am i just stressing and do it 3 month prior to the exam
Reply 10
Original post by SolarElephant

lol as you can see my English is terrible..... god knows how i managed to get myself to do higher!!
Reply 11
Original post by Becky

Original post by Becky
THANKS... so whats the most effective way to revise? should i start now?? or am i just stressing and do it 3 month prior to the exam

for GCSE i would recommend just practising as many questions as you can because the exam boards tend to do similar questions just reworded, i would start doing a little bit a week on the subjects you most struggle with and create a revision timetable ORGANISE BREAKS don't over work

Quick Reply

Latest