The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by undertaker1
help need urgently

i have just submitted my dentistry application today and i have just noticed i haven't mentioned how long i did my work experience for. I have applied to leeds and manchester- will i get an automatic rejection just on the basis that i haven't specified.
As i just had a look at dental applicants stalking for 2009 and on there people have mentioned they got rejected as they haven't mentioned the duration of there work experience.

Have i made a very big mistake as my academics aren't that great either.

Any help very much appreciated

Heyy, have your school defo sent it off? Or have you just sent it to them to check over? I think you should call up Leeds and Manchester to know for sure if they would reject you on that basis..
Original post by hkn123
Heyy, have your school defo sent it off? Or have you just sent it to them to check over? I think you should call up Leeds and Manchester to know for sure if they would reject you on that basis..

they are going to send it off tomorrow, should i go in the morning and change it because my personal statement just about fits into ucas.

can they actually decline me an interview just because i haven't specified the duration of my work experience.
Reply 302
they are going to send it off tomorrow, should i go in the morning and change it because my personal statement just about fits into ucas.

can they actually decline me an interview just because i haven't specified the duration of my work experience.

In that case you're ok! Just call your school first thing tomorrow to make sure they don't send it yet/email your teacher now.. they can send it back to you now and you'll be able to edit your PS. In the mean time work on rephrasing and adding in what you need.. that way when you get to alter it you can do it quickly and send it off straight after :smile: dw
Original post by hkn123
In that case you're ok! Just call your school first thing tomorrow to make sure they don't send it yet/email your teacher now.. they can send it back to you now and you'll be able to edit your PS. In the mean time work on rephrasing and adding in what you need.. that way when you get to alter it you can do it quickly and send it off straight after :smile: dw

have you mentioned duration in yours and can they really reject me on that basis. do you know any individuals in the past who have been rejected.

i thought it was something i could afford to take out as it doesn't really mean anything because dental schools require you to do about 2 weeks anyway and mentioning it wouldn't really strengthen my application, suppose i was wrong
Original post by kazma

Original post by kazma
i reckon the reason why u got interview at kings with that ukcat is because they combine ur gcse and ukcat i think, im not to sure. but even still smashed ur gcses man well done :smile:

Thanks man! Good luck with ur application! :smile:
Reply 305
have you mentioned duration in yours and can they really reject me on that basis. do you know any individuals in the past who have been rejected.

i thought it was something i could afford to take out as it doesn't really mean anything because dental schools require you to do about 2 weeks anyway and mentioning it wouldn't really strengthen my application, suppose i was wrong

Yeah I did mention it but I don't know about them rejecting you on that basis, nor know of people in the past that got rejected because of it.. but like i said you can still change it and it'll mean removing like one sentence so it'll be ok, I'm sure you can find a sentence that you could remove somewhere or use shorter words and stuff
Original post by hkn123
Yeah I did mention it but I don't know about them rejecting you on that basis, nor know of people in the past that got rejected because of it.. but like i said you can still change it and it'll mean removing like one sentence so it'll be ok, I'm sure you can find a sentence that you could remove somewhere or use shorter words and stuff

to be fair i have written 10 lines about my work experience at general dental practice aswell as orthodontics
and further 3 lines about dental lab
so im sure they can pick up that i have done dental work experience for a prolonged period of time .

hopefully
Reply 307
to be fair i have written 10 lines about my work experience at general dental practice aswell as orthodontics
and further 3 lines about dental lab
so im sure they can pick up that i have done dental work experience for a prolonged period of time .

hopefully

Heyy did you change it in the end? Is it sent now?
Original post by hkn123
Heyy did you change it in the end? Is it sent now?

no lol
i was changing it then the whole structure messed up so i left it. basically i am doing on going voluntary work which i have stated and i am also doing on going work experience since end of exams but when i include both things on it, it sounded abit daft lol. so i took it out.

it says they want duration but i have been doing mine since july and probably will do it untill later on this year so i wasn't sure on how exactly to mention it as i am still doing it lol. to be fair i have written like 2 paragraphs about work experience so im sure they wll get the hint.

oh well its been sent now so there nothing i can do.

and also this is why i was scared.

and also where the offers AAB like 2 years ago???
can anyone tell me which dental schools accept resits (Alevels) with extenuating circumstances??/
Original post by strawberrys
can anyone tell me which dental schools accept resits (Alevels) with extenuating circumstances??/

kings, leeds, sheffield, manchester,

barts-u have missed the deadline though

btw don't you have to inform the university's prior to the application concerning mitigating circumstances.

and also what are your mitigating circumstances if you dont mind me asking because different university's take differnt things into consideration.
Reply 311
the waiting game begins...
Original post by kazma

Add yourself to the wiki
Original post by kazma

Original post by kazma

i knoow! good luck! where did u apply to in the end?
Reply 314
no lol
i was changing it then the whole structure messed up so i left it. basically i am doing on going voluntary work which i have stated and i am also doing on going work experience since end of exams but when i include both things on it, it sounded abit daft lol. so i took it out.

it says they want duration but i have been doing mine since july and probably will do it untill later on this year so i wasn't sure on how exactly to mention it as i am still doing it lol. to be fair i have written like 2 paragraphs about work experience so im sure they wll get the hint.

oh well its been sent now so there nothing i can do.

and also this is why i was scared.

and also where the offers AAB like 2 years ago???

Yes, they only went up to AAA last year.

7-8 years ago it was ABB, how times have changed ...
Original post by causation
Yes, they only went up to AAA last year.

7-8 years ago it was ABB, how times have changed ...

so in the 2010 cycle the offers where AAB???
Reply 316
Original post by conjepense
i knoow! good luck! where did u apply to in the end?

leeds, liverpool, manchester and kings.

yourself?
anyone know the dental schools admission statistics i.e. number of applicants:interviews: offers: places available etc.

for the years 2010 and 2011.

any help very much appreciated
Reply 318
anyone know the dental schools admission statistics i.e. number of applicants:interviews: offers: places available etc.

for the years 2010 and 2011.

any help very much appreciated

They usually have it on their websites, or just call and ask. What were all your choices?
Original post by hkn123
They usually have it on their websites, or just call and ask. What were all your choices?

leeds, manchester, cardiff and sheffield

WBU?

Quick Reply

Latest