The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sohoscribbler
There are Oxbridge colleges for mature students. They do tend to be in obscure locations and very ugly buildings however and you won't get the full undergraduate experience. .

Out of curiosity, why is it that mature/postgraduate students won't get the full undergraduate experience?
Reply 381
Original post by David Young
Yes and where exactly is this question or one similar to it which asks about applying for different subjects on either of their websites? Oh yes, that's right, no where, it doesn't exist, do you not think I would have researched everywhere in search of the answer before asking it myself? Obviously you believe that condescending someone before asking whether or not they have done their research is the best way to teach someone a lesson - a lesson in which you're contradicting yourself since there are no answers, that I could find (and hence is not "easily accessible&quot:wink:, bitch.

a) I did not mean to be condescending hence why I answered your question first. I put my FYI to actually help you since I noted that you are new to TSR, and in future you could be answered by someone other than Tortious or myself who may be less accommodating.

b) Now that you have misinterpreted my post and labelled me a "bitch", I feel compelled to show you that the answer to your question is indeed easily available, so, my assumption that you did not research enough is justified. It took me all of 3 minutes, and just one Google search, to do your research for you, so below lies the answer to your question. Specifically note "one course at either" and "one of the universities AND for only one course".

(This is from the first 5 hits. I disregarded the TSR hits as less reliable, but if you had done your research sufficiently you probably wouldn't have ignored them since you came on here to look for the answer anyway. If anything below seems unclear then I'd work on reading skills in case you do indeed go to interview.)

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/choices
Course combinations that you can have

You can apply to a maximum of:

Four courses in any one of medicine/dentistry/veterinary medicine/veterinary science

One course at either the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge (unless you already have a degree or will have gained a degree before September of this cycle in which case you can apply to both)

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/faqs/completeapplication/faq2
Can I apply to the same university or college for more than one course?

Yes, apart from the University of Oxford or the University of Cambridge where you can only apply to one of the universities and for only one course (unless you already have a degree or will have gained a degree before September of this cycle in which case you can apply to both universities).

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/information_for_international_applicants/frequent.html
Can I apply for more than one subject?
You can apply for more than one subject, only if the combination you wish to study is shown in the list of available courses. These combined courses, often referred to as 'joint schools' or 'joint honours' courses, allow you to study two or more different areas. If you complete such a course successfully, you will receive a single degree but it will combine two or more subjects (e.g. BA in History and English).

Please note that competition for joint schools courses is particularly strong, and you must demonstrate your aptitude for each element of their course.

Original post by Tortious

x

Thanks a lot. Hopefully I'll be asking you questions at the law fac later this year :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ratio
a) I did not mean to be condescending hence why I answered your question first. I put my FYI to actually help you since I noted that you are new to TSR, and in future you could be answered by someone other than Tortious or myself who may be less accommodating.

b) Now that you have misinterpreted my post and labelled me a "bitch", I feel compelled to show you that the answer to your question is indeed easily available, so, my assumption that you did not research enough is justified. It took me all of 3 minutes, and just one Google search, to do your research for you, so below lies the answer to your question. Specifically note "one course at either" and "one of the universities AND for only one course".

(This is from the first 5 hits. I disregarded the TSR hits as less reliable, but if you had done your research sufficiently you probably wouldn't have ignored them since you came on here to look for the answer anyway. If anything below seems unclear then I'd work on reading skills in case you do indeed go to interview.)

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/howtoapply/choices

http://www.ucas.com/students/applying/faqs/completeapplication/faq2

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/international_students/information_for_international_applicants/frequent.html

Thanks a lot. Hopefully I'll be asking you questions at the law fac later this year :smile:

Anything's easy when you know where to look, you may be able to impress a few "geniuses" on this with your performance but I'm not so easily fooled. Also, answering a question first is great; however, leaving a bitter taste in the readers mouth when the last thing they read is a negative insult to their intelligence, is not something, in my opinion, that you should hold against me as something that you done for my benefit. Additionally, work on my reading skills? Again, being subtle about your insults, how very clever of you, I've been here all but 2 days and already I can see that the trolls from youtube have infected this site too. Thank you for any help, however, I shall not reciprocate and insult you back since I would not like to and if I would, I couldn't since I'm not the kind of person who insults someone without knowing anything about them, unlike you - did I just contradict myself? Uh oh
Reply 383
Anything's easy when you know where to look, you may be able to impress a few "geniuses" on this with your performance but I'm not so easily fooled. Also, answering a question first is great; however, leaving a bitter taste in the readers mouth when the last thing they read is a negative insult to their intelligence, is not something, in my opinion, that you should hold against me as something that you done for my benefit. Additionally, work on my reading skills? Again, being subtle about your insults, how very clever of you, I've been here all but 2 days and already I can see that the trolls from youtube have infected this site too. Thank you for any help, however, I shall not reciprocate and insult you back since I would not like to and if I would, I couldn't since I'm not the kind of person who insults someone without knowing anything about them, unlike you - did I just contradict myself? Uh oh

Not sure why I'm bothering to respond but I am. You have only proven my point about not being able to read:

a) "Anything's easy when you know where to look". I wrote that I did one GOOGLE search. If you don't know "where to look" for Google in 2012 then I'm not even sure what to say to you. Irrespective of that, one would hope that UCAS (or the actual university websites) would be amongst the top places a prospective applicant goes digging for information.

b) "Being subtle about your insults". Clearly you are also not able to infer. I wasn't subtle about being condescending in my second post. The tone of my post in the second part of my answer was very clear. In fact I had let you know that as a result of your insult, I felt compelled to patronize you/expose that did not research. (not in those exact words which is my fault for not already spotting your inability to read between the lines).

Don't bother responding - you make proving me right too easy. Best of luck as your application process progresses.
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by ratio
Not sure why I'm bothering to respond but I am. You have only proven my point about not being able to read:

a) "Anything's easy when you know where to look". I wrote that I did one GOOGLE search. If you don't know "where to look" for Google in 2012 then I'm not even sure what to say to you. Irrespective of that, one would hope that UCAS (or the actual university websites) would be amongst the top places a prospective applicant goes digging for information.

b) "Being subtle about your insults". Clearly you are also not able to infer. I wasn't subtle about being condescending in my second post. The tone of my post in the second part of my answer was very clear. In fact I had let you know that as a result of your insult, I felt compelled to patronize you/expose that did not research. (not in those exact words which is my fault for not already spotting your inability to read between the lines).

Don't bother responding - you make proving me right too easy. Best of luck as your application process progresses.

Guys, chill.

David, you did swear at Ratio without knowing anything about her (or him, now I think on this) and she does have a point that if you'd read the information, you could have worked it out and that TSR isn't the most reliable port of info. S/he also apologised for sounding condescending whereas you haven't apologised to them for swearing at them.

Ratio, it is possible to read the information and wonder if the reason they haven't considered separate subjects is because no one tries and therefore would they accept you with two subjects. I didn't get that from the wording but it is feasible. I think he said he'd looked at it first and not been able to work it out.

Now you're both just bickering about nothing. Relax. There's snow outside (or ice). It's a time to be happy :smile: And if nothing else, it's not like you can apply until September anyway so don't worry so much about it!
Original post by bluepenguin
Out of curiosity, why is it that mature/postgraduate students won't get the full undergraduate experience?

Its not necessarily a bad thing - its just that graduates tend not to go nuts and go clubbing for 20 consecutive nights when they first arrive at Oxford, they tend to have far more interest in their work than any newly acquired freedom like the undergrads, and they tend to have other lives (hobbies, jobs, wives and children even). As such, they don't develop as strong ties with their college and their experience just isn't typical of the undergrads.
Original post by gethsemane342
Guys, chill.

David, you did swear at Ratio without knowing anything about her (or him, now I think on this) and she does have a point that if you'd read the information, you could have worked it out and that TSR isn't the most reliable port of info. S/he also apologised for sounding condescending whereas you haven't apologised to them for swearing at them.

Ratio, it is possible to read the information and wonder if the reason they haven't considered separate subjects is because no one tries and therefore would they accept you with two subjects. I didn't get that from the wording but it is feasible. I think he said he'd looked at it first and not been able to work it out.

Now you're both just bickering about nothing. Relax. There's snow outside (or ice). It's a time to be happy :smile: And if nothing else, it's not like you can apply until September anyway so don't worry so much about it!

I don't normally get into these, perhaps having a bad day or that I came here expecting at least a half decent conversation, then again, I suppose I'm overestimating people. I had seen the links s/he had posted before however, as you say, it wasn't in black and white in bold and underlined so I was still unsure about it, but thanks for the help.
Original post by ratio

I'm sorry for my cheek, there are no excuses. I apologise, forgive and forget?
Reply 388
I'm sorry for my cheek, there are no excuses. I apologise, forgive and forget?

Not a problem. I was also being a tad too flippant so all forgiven and forgotten.:yes: Good luck again with your applications and I hope you do find TSR (largely) useful.

Original post by gethsemane342
x

Ahh the voice of reason, thank you. :smile: (Although, I will have to say the ice on the ground certainly doesn't make me "happy" but it does work with your sentiment that we should "chill":P - I know horrible but I couldn't resist.)
Hello:smile: I have 4 questions,

I have been thinking recently what about my nearest future. I still have little time to decide, but I thought that it is better to have a clear plan.

1. It is better to study economics at Cambridge or at Oxford?
I know I have to choose one of them, and that makes things harder.
Economics and Management course at Oxford is so competitive. Just 7% of applicants get in :frown: I don't know much about Cambridge successful applicants...

2. Do you think it is more likely to be accepted by Oxford or Cambridge on economics course?

3. Someone knows if Mr. Ha-Joon Chang from Cambridge teaches undergraduates?
( Im impressed by his attitude to current World issues)

4. Or maybe I should apply for PPE at Oxford as it is far more likely to get in?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 390
I don't think you should apply to a course on the premise that you think it will boost your chances of getting in to Oxbridge. The applications process is competitive, and you need to show that you have a deep and passionate interest in the course you have opted to read. The interview panel will see through an application which is not well founded, so if anything, it is likely to hinder your ability of getting a place to opt for one course you like less over another. I'm sorry to sound as if I'm being harsh, but it is probably true.

If you do apply for a course which you don't enjoy, chances are you are going to have all sorts of problems with it. I have personal experience with this, although my original course was one which complemented my A Levels and one which I truly thought I would enjoy. I couldn't have been more wrong; the course was totally different to A levels. Even after all the research I conducted, I would never have known until I was here to experience it first hand.

As a Cambridge student, and not studying economics, I cannot comment on your subject-specific or Oxford questions. However, I really would encourage you to review the courses thoroughly and apply to the one which most suits you. Admissions statistics are just that - statistics. You shouldn't base your college, course or University choice solely on the statistics as to whether you're going to get in; if you do that, you may fluff an interview through the stress of knowing 7% of applicants get in, and not get a place you otherwise deserve. Do the stats let you know how many of those applicants were rejected outright because they did not meet some decent GCSE/A level standard, but people put an application in on a whim? If you're going to analyse the stats, do so carefully and objectively. They don't always tell the story you think they tell, and can and often are manipulated to the advantage of their publisher.

There are also many, many other excellent Universities out there if you do not get in. It will seem disappointing at the time, but all is not lost.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can you apply to both Cambridge and Oxford if you applied for a different subject at each? For example, similar subjects like Physics at Oxford and Natural Science at Cambridge? Or what about different subjects like Natural Science at Cambridge and medicine at Oxford? Given your qualifications are all A's in all 3 sciences and maths. Please no ignorant or cheeky comments. I realise that perhaps the universities will see you as not being fully dedicated to your subjects since you're applying for different ones but Oxford would see you as a medic and Cambridge a scientist, and they wouldn't know you're applying to the other. Thanks in advance

Yes, you can but you need a good reason. For example, in my case, very few universities teach Persian. So it is legit to apply to both. Closely related subjects taught at few places are probably OK too.
(edited 12 years ago)
I would agree however with mousematt that universities exist beyond Oxford and Cambridge. I have been to both and very often wish I had not.
Oxford or Cambridge to study economics??? :smile:

Where it is more likely to get in, where are better prof. etc
Reply 394
Original post by Matthew16000
Oxford or Cambridge to study economics??? :smile:

Where it is more likely to get in, where are better prof. etc

I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but Oxford don't offer economics on its own.
Apart from Oxford not doing straight Economics, there is no 'better or worse' when it comes to oxbridge. They are the top two in the country (tho arguably LSE are in there too) and which one is better depends on the person. The course content, the style, the university as a whole, the city. both are different in the own way, but equally good. If you can't decide, visit them both and see which you feel more at home at.
For economics, the courses are very different so I would choose based on this. Cambridge does straight economics whereas, at Oxford, you have to take economics and management or economics as part of PPE. Which one appeals to you more?
In Oxford I ment Economics and Management course of course :smile:

PS: can you recommend some interesting books which may improve chances of getting in?
or sth else which I could do apart from reading...? any ideas?

Your comments really mean a lot to me, thanks for any help! :smile:
Reply 398
If you want to be a physicist; apply to Oxford.

If you want to be a scientist whose main science in Physics; apply to Cambridge.
Original post by Rennit
If you want to be a physicist; apply to Oxford.

If you want to be a scientist whose main science in Physics; apply to Cambridge.

The specialism in physics through natural sciences is fully acredited by the IOP. Meaning you can fully pursue a physics masters/Phd. You're still a full fledged physicist.

In the end the person will cover all the physics he/she needs - just depends on the way you'd prefer to go about it. Have some extra stuff in the first year or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending