The Student Room Group

Can you teach in Northern Ireland with a QTS from an English Uni?

Can you teach in Northern Ireland with a QTS from an English Uni? because so far i havent got a definite answer from anyone. Any ideas?? i got an interview from Nottingham Trent on january 25th and theres no point wasting money on flights for an interview that means im stuck teaching in England for eternity. (no offence to English people, Gotta keep my options open!)
P.S for those thinking of getting money for becoming a maths/science/ict/td teacher, the scheme ends this year, so all the universitys has been lying about it!

Thanks
Reply 1
There are a lot of Irish people on my course and most of them are going home to Ireland to teach so I am gathering from that, that you can teach in Ireland with an English PGCE.
Reply 2
Northern Ireland is still a part of the UK, so I would guess so, despite having a slightly different system than England and Wales. You can still teach in Scotland with an English/Welsh PGCE. One of my sisters is back from a two year teaching stint in the USA (she'd worked 2 years in the UK system before). Their system is completely different and she wasn't turned down because her degree wasn't American!

Good luck!

Chloe

sticky123
Can you teach in Northern Ireland with a QTS from an English Uni? because so far i havent got a definite answer from anyone. Any ideas?? i got an interview from Nottingham Trent on january 25th and theres no point wasting money on flights for an interview that means im stuck teaching in England for eternity. (no offence to English people, Gotta keep my options open!)
P.S for those thinking of getting money for becoming a maths/science/ict/td teacher, the scheme ends this year, so all the universitys has been lying about it!

Thanks
Of course you can! Like all the others have said you will have the same qualification as someone coming from Queen's or UU. Loads of my teachers had English undergrad qualifications

What is it you want to teach? The only problem I can see is the unofficial old boys network in Northern Ireland. If you wanted to be a primary teacher you might be better trying for Stran or the Ranch because of this. (Not that I'm saying its intentional by any means but sometimes the 'professions' in Northern Ireland tend to 'go with what they know').

Good luck. You should go for the Nottingham Trent interview: you never know, you might love it!
Reply 4
hey, ive gone for both Nottingham trent and sunderland interviews. Both need one Alevel at C in Design and Technology! im predicted three A's and so all i had to do was turn up! Manchester is keeping my name on file and ive got an interview for Stranmillis (which is supposed to be hell). Ive found that you can each in N.I with a QTS, however schools take people with Beds from Stran or Stmarys first. I want to go to stran now, and i know there are going to be NO jobs when i come out. At least i know theres plently of jobs in England!
Reply 5
sticky123

Which scheme is it that ends..? The 9 grand for the training year or the golden hello?
Gaining QTS in Scotland will allow you to teach anywhere in the UK.

Gaining QTS anywhere else will mean you can definitely teach in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Scotland maybe a problem for some as not all course outside Scotland are recognised by the General Teaching Council of Scotland. I've no idea which are or which aren't...so if you are thinking of teaching in Scotland, but not studying at a Scottish uni I advise you find out if you will be able to.

Of course, this post is about NI, so the course at Nottingham Trent will allow people to teach in NI.
You can teach in NI with a degree from the mainland UK. It's only in the South that you need to meet the Irish language requirement as well as having the PGCE.

Latest

Trending

Trending