The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by ciaran_imirish:)
I've got a quick question in regards to my UCAS application. I'm currently with LJMU, but when I try to add LJMU down as education, I can enter in the correct start date but it doesnt give the option of putting the correct end date down which is 06/15. It's allowing me to only go up to Dec 2014. I'm worried about this because UCAS does state you need to provide details about you're current university, but how can I provide them those details if they are hitching me with this problem that they have created?

I've already emailed the university I'm applying to's admissions department, provided documentation showing all the qualifications I've earned to date including my first year qualifications in John Moores. So in regards to the latter, I might not be able to provide those on UCAS but I have given them to the uni i'm transferring to. I've talked to the woman that runs the admissions dept twice and all.

What do I do? Help lol

How is your end date 2015? You're not finishing your degree if you're transferring

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
How is your end date 2015? You're not finishing your degree if you're transferring

Posted from TSR Mobile

So should I just put down my first year results and say that I left June 2013? because thats the only full results that i have and its only what they are looking to know/only what they need from me ? Or will I put down this month? As I'll be withdrawing from the course I'm in as soon as they give me the green light to join theirs.
hey guys, what about my situation? No chance?
Hi, does anyone know what reasons to include in their personal statement able wanting to transfer? I've read that saying you don't like your current uni is not enough... And that is my reason, that and my current uni being on the lower end of the league tables.

Also, I'm really not sure on who I can ask for a reference, none of the teachers really know me as an individual student, so will it be odd if I approach any of them and request one?

And lastly, will it be worth putting some of my choices down as point of entry year 1 aswel, just in case I don't get accepted due to my current degree not being similar enough? I have contacted some uni, and most have told me they do accept transfer however, they told me to apply through ucas, and that is when they'll see if my first year modules are similar to theirs.
Reply 1384
Hi!

I'm looking at transferring from my course (on which I am part-way through second year) to the second year of a course at another university.

Problem is that I only have a few UCAS points from completing my AS-levels, and most uni's state that to transfer into their second-year, you must have the A-levels or equivalent that would be necessary for the first year.

I am told that upon completion of second year of my current course, I will have obtained a 'Diploma of Higher Education'. I can't seem to find any information on how these equate to A-levels, if at all. Can anyone tell me if this diploma would count if I was applying to another first year?

Thank you!!
Original post by curaga
Hi!

I'm looking at transferring from my course (on which I am part-way through second year) to the second year of a course at another university.

Problem is that I only have a few UCAS points from completing my AS-levels, and most uni's state that to transfer into their second-year, you must have the A-levels or equivalent that would be necessary for the first year.

I am told that upon completion of second year of my current course, I will have obtained a 'Diploma of Higher Education'. I can't seem to find any information on how these equate to A-levels, if at all. Can anyone tell me if this diploma would count if I was applying to another first year?

Thank you!!

A diploma of higher education is an award given by universities, so it doesn't really map onto A-levels properly. What it would do is give evidence of your learning ability, and the fact that you passed 2nd yera at university. If you are doing the same course but just at different universities, then it should be good evidence that you've got the skills that it takes to complete the course. However, you may not be able to transfer straight to 3rd year, as every university does their degrees differently. You'll have to speak to the admissions people of the new university, and provide them with a transcript (your marks for each module) and a list of the content covered.
Reply 1386
Thanks so much for the reply.

I wasn't planning on applying for a third year transfer, that would be a little ambitious. I'm quite happy to redo the second year as I want to apply for a different but somewhat related subject (film production - where I've built up a decent portfolio of screenplays and written work) to creative writing. I'm also a mature student, does anyone know if I can bring this into play as well? Combining all these factors makes it tough to work out most unis position on it.
Original post by Gibbo92
Hello everyone. Wasn't sure this was the right place to put this but couldn't think of anywhere else, if it's in the wrong place I apologise.

I'm currently studying computer science, and I'm a semester in (well after I finish my exams) and I hate it. I'm pretty gutted that I hate it too as I really thought it was something I would enjoy. I stuck with the course until the end of the semester hoping that I would eventually begin to like it, but It's just not happening for me. The lack of enthusiam is causing me to get frustrated while trying to revise too.

Now, my second choice was always to do primary school teaching and i was umming and ahhing right up until the last minute when aplpying, and primary teaching is now something I would love to look at doing. My main problem is I have absolutely no idea where my options are from here. Ideally I would like to be able to start Primary teaching now, from the second semester point, as I've heard of people that have switched from Comp science across to physics after their first semester, but I imagine that, that would be nearly impossible to do. I don't know, but I'd be surprised if you could pick up primary teaching in this way. You'll need to talk to the unis concerned and see what they say, but the most likely thing is that you'll have to start again, and get an application in quickly as the deadline of 15 January for equal consideration would apply here.

If thats not an option, I imagine my best course of action would be to drop out of my course now, But I have no idea how that effects my funding. Am I already 9 grand down or if I come out of the course now will I only have the first semesters debt to my name? You'll need to check what your university's policy is on this - they do vary. For student loan purposes you are allowed one false start, so you should be OK even if you complete the year.

Also, if anyone does primary teaching I would love to hear your experiences. If thats possible. Check out this forum.
Really not looking forward to telling me dad I'm gonna be dropping out for a few months. That really wont go down well. :frown: As PQ has said, it will go down better if you can tell him you have a plan.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, And I know it's really a 3 pronged question but hopefully it's alright!

Cheers;

Gibbo.
The main message here is that you will need to be quick because the likelihood is that you will have to start again if you decide to go for primary education.
Original post by anyhowzim
I didn't get the grades for my first choice university (Portsmouth), so went to a different one. This one is closer to home but is not very good for my course (in fact, it is the lowest ranked). I'm not really enjoying myself there so I'm looking into moving to Portsmouth, as I have received a 1st for the 1st year and I'm on track for another 1st this year.

I am planning to take a year out after this year (my second year) anyway but if I were to transfer for 3rd year, would it be worth it? Would it matter to employers that I attended the bottom ranked university for my first two years?

I am an engineering student so if there are any Portsmouth engineers on here, how are you finding the university for your course?

I want to make sure its worth it before I delve into it.

You wont be able to transfer into a 3rd year.

No University would be interested in awarding a degree to a student who had done 2/3rds of their degree at another University. There is also the issue of comparability of existing units/finals exams etc. All together, a non-starter.

You might be allowed to transfer into a 2nd year - ie. if you dropped out of your current Uni and applied for a 'year 2 start' at another Uni (through UCAS) for entry this autumn. But there is no guarantee of acceptance so I suggest you email your intended Unis and ask about possibility for this before you formally apply.
Original post by ciaran_imirish:)
So should I just put down my first year results and say that I left June 2013? because thats the only full results that i have and its only what they are looking to know/only what they need from me ? Or will I put down this month? As I'll be withdrawing from the course I'm in as soon as they give me the green light to join theirs.

You put in the start date as the date you started and the end date as the date you INTEND to withdraw if your application is successful.

You're applying for 2014 entry so you can't have an end date later than the date your new course would start.
HELP!
So i have been trying to apply transfer to a different Uni from where I am now. Same course, however I have only received their email that instructed me to apply through UCAS yesterday and they told me it's highly beneficial if i complete it before tuesday 18:00 (Deadline). I know it's a bit of a situation but I need help on where to enter my current modules on UCAS. Where do I enter them? Also I took some exams in my gap year, do I add them(the results) separately, i.e. 2010-2012 and then 2012-2013 or I just put the results under 2010-2013 ?

Please reply ASAP, anyone :frown:.

EDIT -------------
Also when I am including my current University what date do I write down for "finish date" ? Do I write 2014 because I want to leave or 2017 because that's when my course ends???
Reply 1391
Original post by Themiddleone
HELP!
So i have been trying to apply transfer to a different Uni from where I am now. Same course, however I have only received their email that instructed me to apply through UCAS yesterday and they told me it's highly beneficial if i complete it before tuesday 18:00 (Deadline). I know it's a bit of a situation but I need help on where to enter my current modules on UCAS. Where do I enter them? Also I took some exams in my gap year, do I add them(the results) separately, i.e. 2010-2012 and then 2012-2013 or I just put the results under 2010-2013 ?

Please reply ASAP, anyone :frown:.

EDIT -------------
Also when I am including my current University what date do I write down for "finish date" ? Do I write 2014 because I want to leave or 2017 because that's when my course ends???

If you read the post above yours it would answer half of your questions. If you can't even bother to do that, why should anyone bother to help you?
Original post by Juno
If you read the post above yours it would answer half of your questions. If you can't even bother to do that, why should anyone bother to help you?

Yeah, I realised that after I stopped panicking.

Thanks for the help though.
Reply 1393
In the UCAS application, do you have to include ur GCSE and A-level results aswell?
If the university i wanna apply doesnt consider me just because there's one different module (but all the others are the same) from the course i'm studying now at my current university, is it possible to negotiate with the university i want to apply?
If the uni i want to transfer to doesnt consider me for second year because one of the first year module is different from the course i'm studyingin my current uni , is it possible to negotiate with the university?
This is NOT a sensible strategy.

You are starting a Uni you dont want to be at, with NO guarantee you will be able to transfer Unis at all.

Do retakes, reapply. Go to the University you actually want to be at.
do anyone know the average time for the university (oxford-brookes) to transfer my old credit and give me an offer ? ,did any one successfully transferred credit to oxford-brookes before ?
So if wishing to transfer to a different uni for 2nd year do you start the process as soon as you decide you want to move or wait til the summer when you have your final grades for the year? :s
Hi
I read somewhere on this thread that not liking the Uni isn't the greatest reason in the world to transfer because what's the chances you'll like the next one. But what I was wondering is.. If the reason you give and your reference give for transfer reason is extended period of being home sick.. Do universities even need to know this or is it just all about grades and quality of personal statement? And if you are applying to transfer, will the uni get back to you sooner seeing as you have all your A Levels and (in my case) foundation degree results or is it still a length wait?

Sorry for so many questions. Just anxious about my application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending