The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeh I remember the booklet being crap! So I promised myself I'd help out next yrs first yrs, so I'll take my camera out in a few days.

I can only offer you indoor pics of sciennes and darroch court, there about the most contrasting of self catered accommodation, but I can get you outdoor pics of edinburgh and general and some others.

So watch this space! Any requests? :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Definitely stay closer to George Square than King's. Even if you're doing a science subject you'll have lectures in George Square (except maybe med and ved med, not sure about them) and King's is much further from the city centre.
My room is quite small but it does the job. The kitchen is a good size though. I have a great view too.
Sorry about the untidy room by the way - its not like that any more.
Darroch Court is more expensive but from what I've seen it is a fair bit nicer than here. Its a bit newer and each flat has its own washing machine. Location here and Darroch court: both great. A bit closer to KB here though.
Reply 3
Views from our kitchen and my room (the last one).
Reply 4
Thank you guys so much!! I'm looking at self catering I think (I'd prefer halls and en-suite but catered is no good for me because I'll be doing Nursing so timing with placements and stuff makes it easier to just cook for myself).. and basically have no idea what any of them are like you any of your tips / bits of advice are very welcome!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Apply to Darroch Court as first choice, end of story. I think its about quid more a week, but you get free washing machines in your flat thus actually gain from it. By far the best.
Reply 6
I think it is a bit more than a quid a week extra, still probably the best option though.
Reply 7
Thanks guys, i'll do that :smile: how many choices do you make? I haven't had all the forms because I haven't accepted Edinburgh as my first yet.. what are the chances of getting Darroch Court if it’s my first choice? (I mean how popular would you say it was for applications)

Is Kincaid's Court any good? I can't remember where I read it but I think someone said it was nice.. I don't like choosing without seeing them, so I might wait until March when I've been up for the open day for those with offers.. but then others will be applying as soon as they start on the 1st Feb.. argh.. decisions :p:
Dogberry
Yeh I remember the booklet being crap! So I promised myself I'd help out next yrs first yrs, so I'll take my camera out in a few days.

I can only offer you indoor pics of sciennes and darroch court, there about the most contrasting of self catered accommodation, but I can get you outdoor pics of edinburgh and general and some others.

So watch this space! Any requests? :biggrin:

pictures of darroch court would be really cool and general outdoor pictures also if you have time. Can you see the mountains from most parts of edinburgh?
Reply 9
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DVXB,DVXB:2005-28,DVXB:en&q=darroch%20court&sa=N&tab=wi
You can see Arthur's Seat from most places and even if you can't see the Pentlands it is unlikely you'll have to travel far to get them in view.
Reply 10
Thanks for that link.. I didn't think to search google images.. I'm going through the list of flats on there now :biggrin: one more thing though, I asked this in the other thread but this one seems more active.. does anyone know what's happened to Morgan Court? I saw it on the website under prices for first years flats.. it was the most expensive because it's en-suite.. but it's not in the brochure..
Reply 11
Never heard of it!
Reply 12
hello :smile:

can i ask you guys which dorms/flats/whatever offer catered accommodation? i'd also like to stay in an en-suite, is it quite hard to get an en-suite room?
Reply 13
Pollock Halls is where you will find catered. Chancellor's Court (one of the Pollock Halls residences) has en-suites for sure. I think it is about 50/50 of you getting an en-suite if you ask for one.
Thanks for the link to the pictures. I hadnt thought of that. Do you know whether there is internet connections in every room or do you need to specify on your accommodation form that you need one? Its difficult for me to write so need to get lecture notes from it.
Reply 15
All flats have ResNet except those on Blackwood Crescent and Causewayside. :smile:
Reply 16
bred
Never heard of it!

:confused: I'll wait and see if it appears on the site on 1st Feb when we can start applying for accommodation.. otherwise maybe it was an old place and they're not using it anymore.. it's def on the price page though, 9th down:

http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/prices/Flats_Prices_0506.htm
Reply 17
I think Morgan Court was for Post Grads, or was supposed to be, but due to the accommodation services running out of rooms elsewhere 1st yrs have been put there. One of my mates is there so it does exist! Dunno whether they'll let you apply there this yr or not, we certainly couldn't last yr.
Reply 18
Ok, thanks for clearing that up :smile:

I was only going to put it on my list because it's en-suite.. but to be fair I've just visited a friend of mine in Uni flats and you're not sharing 1 bathroom with like 20 people so i'll be fine :p:
Reply 19
bred
Pollock Halls is where you will find catered. Chancellor's Court (one of the Pollock Halls residences) has en-suites for sure. I think it is about 50/50 of you getting an en-suite if you ask for one.

thanks a lot! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending