The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

I have a friend in Robertson's Close and that's really nice. Very central and she has a swishy new kitchen, although her room is a tad small.

I've also been to Darroch Court and that's quite nice, rooms much bigger than Robertson's close... but the kitchen was a bit older and a bit more shabby, although the flat felt a bit more spacious.

Ive also been to one in Kincaids (sp?) court... that wasnt so nice I didn't think.. might have been cos it was a boy's flat and there was dirty pots all over the place and the floor was sticky with spilt beer.. it just seemed a bit more pokey than others i'd been to.

That's all the experience i've had of uni flats... I'm a 1st year in a private flat and i have the huuuugest room ever, it's great!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
lilcathstar
I have a friend in Robertson's Close and that's really nice. Very central and she has a swishy new kitchen, although her room is a tad small.

I've also been to Darroch Court and that's quite nice, rooms much bigger than Robertson's close... but the kitchen was a bit older and a bit more shabby, although the flat felt a bit more spacious.

Ive also been to one in Kincaids (sp?) court... that wasnt so nice I didn't think.. might have been cos it was a boy's flat and there was dirty pots all over the place and the floor was sticky with spilt beer.. it just seemed a bit more pokey than others i'd been to.

That's all the experience i've had of uni flats... I'm a 1st year in a private flat and i have the huuuugest room ever, it's great!
How much do you pay in a private flat?
I pay £275 a month... then there's gas, elec and phone/internet to pay also... which when split up between us prob average £10-15 a month extra.

I think £275 is about average for Ed... It's a really nice flat.. newly furnished and decorated, new kitchen and bathroom!
Reply 23
lilcathstar
I pay £275 a month... then there's gas, elec and phone/internet to pay also... which when split up between us prob average £10-15 a month extra.

I think £275 is about average for Ed... It's a really nice flat.. newly furnished and decorated, new kitchen and bathroom!
Sounds OK, but still a bit expensive for me...:frown:...where did you find such a good flat? :smile: ...how easily can you get a decent part-time job in Edinburgh and how much can you earn? living costs will be quite an issue for me, my parents' income is low (I am a student from a new EU country) and I cannot get access to any hardship/AAA scholarships, since I've been studying here only since September 2004 (I'm on 100% scholarship right now)...
The accommodation offerred by the acommodation service is typically overpriced and basic and and, for about everyone, adequate and sometimes a little better, some of the flats being basically coolish and suited to cat like living. Or not, you may find they are just basic and adequate.

By comparison the accommodation offered in the rental market place in the city of Edinburgh which is taken by students is typically quite nice or either cosy, spacious, or pleasant at least and quite some beter than adequate.

It is most common for market let flats to be without a living room or with this room used as a bedroom, though to have a kitchen which is spacious enough, maybe just, for living in, with T.V. stereo and chairs at the table for lounging, or extra more comfortable chairs. I think all of the university's flats, with very, very few exceptions, have no living room.

There is nothing else to say about the university flats except that they are usually made up of typical, basic bits of living space, never bad, but most often not really inspiring, with fluffy, strange coloured lino squares on the floor. The only other thing to say is that there are a few places, like the student flats in Warrender Park Road or Terrace or something in Marchment, I can't remember which, which are in a converted school building have large foyer coridors which sometimes get noisy and students have parties in them. Elsewhere like at the flats at Sciennes and New Arthur Place, there may be some noise of students coming in and out at night especially in the coridor, but the coridors are not large or pleasant enough for most people to stay around in.

The halls rooms are fine. I liked them. They are smaller than many and bigger than some, but typical and otherwise sympathetically plain and conducive of relaxing. But the rooms are close to the same size of the smallest B&B single room you have ever stayed in and it would be for nearly nine months as a full adult, though it is easy to move out to a room in a nice flat with people you have never met before. (Rather than friends you meet which is always a decent idea.) The student rooms in shared student city market flats are advertised constantly in the halls and all over the place.

As the university was no good at all though, halls were a headache regarding working. I could hardly do any, sometimes even the basic requirements. After a while it felt like communism and I wanted, need like you need air, very much to be independent of the company regarding my living arrangements.
Lukas
Sounds OK, but still a bit expensive for me...:frown:...where did you find such a good flat? :smile: ...how easily can you get a decent part-time job in Edinburgh and how much can you earn? living costs will be quite an issue for me, my parents' income is low (I am a student from a new EU country) and I cannot get access to any hardship/AAA scholarships, since I've been studying here only since September 2004 (I'm on 100% scholarship right now)...

I ended up with such a good flat because the I came thru clearing and the uni didn't have any rooms for me, anywhere. So i came up to Ed a few days before term started in sept and found 3 other people in a similar situation and we went flat hunting together. The only reason this was on the market so late into the year was because the developers had only just done it up.

as truth_is_normal says, this flat is advertised as being 3 bedded with lounge... but at £1100 a month, it isn't really practical to have it three bedded... so i have the "lounge" as my room. It's huge! the other 3 rooms are a tad smaller, but not by much. Our kitchen is small though. We've got no table in there and our only communal area is the hall, which is fairly wide but we're not allowed any permanent furniture in there.. fire regulations or something. But we have a few beanbags and it does the job!

As for part time jobs.. i can't really help you. I know someone working for tesco and there are job vacancies advertised in various places. I think if you go out looking for one you shouldnt be too disappointed

It is most common for market let flats to be without a living room or with this room used as a bedroom, though to have a kitchen which is spacious enough, maybe just, for living in, with T.V. stereo and chairs at the table for lounging, or extra more comfortable chairs. I think all of the university's flats, with very, very few exceptions, have no living room.

Apparently the Uni was after our flat just before we took out the lease... but they said they wouldn't take it because it's too expensive as a 3 person and they couldnt take it as a 4 person because a communal living space was needed.
Can anyone post any pictures of the uni itself or any department buildings as i have never even been to Scotland let alone seen Edinburgh.
Thnx :biggrin:
Reply 27
lilcathstar
I ended up with such a good flat because the I came thru clearing and the uni didn't have any rooms for me, anywhere. So i came up to Ed a few days before term started in sept and found 3 other people in a similar situation and we went flat hunting together. The only reason this was on the market so late into the year was because the developers had only just done it up.

as truth_is_normal says, this flat is advertised as being 3 bedded with lounge... but at £1100 a month, it isn't really practical to have it three bedded... so i have the "lounge" as my room. It's huge! the other 3 rooms are a tad smaller, but not by much. Our kitchen is small though. We've got no table in there and our only communal area is the hall, which is fairly wide but we're not allowed any permanent furniture in there.. fire regulations or something. But we have a few beanbags and it does the job!

As for part time jobs.. i can't really help you. I know someone working for tesco and there are job vacancies advertised in various places. I think if you go out looking for one you shouldnt be too disappointed

Apparently the Uni was after our flat just before we took out the lease... but they said they wouldn't take it because it's too expensive as a 3 person and they couldnt take it as a 4 person because a communal living space was needed.
OK, thanks very much...
Reply 28
Some pics, i'll do some department ones and other accommodation soon (maybe)... :cool:
Reply 29
Dogberry
Some pics, i'll do some department ones and other accommodation soon (maybe)... :cool:

Are the 1st 3 views from Arthurs Seat?

Nice tidy room btw! :P
Reply 30
Yar, thanks :biggrin:
thnx for the pics, love the room:biggrin: ... and the box of quality street. mmmmmm
Reply 32
Ahhh... I remember the good old days of trying to figure out which accommodation I wanted to live in when at Edinburgh uni. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of my choices. Too many people got in last year so they put me in a private flat instead. Darroch Court was my first choice, and I think that is probably the most popular. Out of all the accommodation I have been in, this is probably the nicest. The rooms are the biggest, and it is definitely a plus having a washing machine and a tumble dryer in the flat. Means you don't have to pay to use them elsewhere. College Wynd isn't that great. It's a bit shabby and small. Robertson's Close is probably better than College Wynd, but not by that much. Warrender Park Crescent is ok, but they bedrooms are really rather small. So, if you want my advice, go with Darroch Court. Though I think the chance of you getting in there is rather small.
If you put Edinburgh as insurance what chance do you have of getting decent self catered accomodation?
I would imagine alot of poeple will put it as insurance because of their BBB offers, i dont know how that would effect accomodation but still...
Reply 35
I'm kind of hoping they'll put more info of each of the places up on the website when they open it for online booking (1st February) but you might have had to have already accepted them to get onto it.. and I haven't yet because I haven't heard from everyone yet..
Reply 36
Nah they never put more info up, really annoying. As for whether it being your 2nd chouce affecting accomodation I don't think it will, unless your unconditional and then they (i think) can confirm your room much earlier on.
Reply 37
Personally i'd take private housing, i found the halls overpriced!

I have chosen to stay out of the centre of edinburgh too, my flatmate is at edinburgh takes her 20 mins on bus to the uni, but the bus is like every 3/4 minutes, and they have the express buses now too which are quicker! Rent for me is only £220...much cheaper than the centre! its like £55 a week, and we have internet included too (this year that is!). We have a spare room for next year if anyone is interested... Just get in touch! :biggrin:
Reply 38
truth_is_normal
The accommodation offerred by the acommodation service is typically overpriced and basic and and, for about everyone, adequate and sometimes a little better, some of the flats being basically coolish and suited to cat like living. Or not, you may find they are just basic and adequate.

By comparison the accommodation offered in the rental market place in the city of Edinburgh which is taken by students is typically quite nice or either cosy, spacious, or pleasant at least and quite some beter than adequate.

There is nothing else to say about the university flats except that they are usually made up of typical, basic bits of living space, never bad, but most often not really inspiring, with fluffy, strange coloured lino squares on the floor. The only other thing to say is that there are a few places, like the student flats in Warrender Park Road or Terrace or something in Marchment, I can't remember which, which are in a converted school building have large foyer coridors which sometimes get noisy and students have parties in them. Elsewhere like at the flats at Sciennes and New Arthur Place, there may be some noise of students coming in and out at night especially in the coridor, but the coridors are not large or pleasant enough for most people to stay around in.

The halls rooms are fine. I liked them. They are smaller than many and bigger than some, but typical and otherwise sympathetically plain and conducive of relaxing. But the rooms are close to the same size of the smallest B&B single room you have ever stayed in and it would be for nearly nine months as a full adult, though it is easy to move out to a room in a nice flat with people you have never met before. (Rather than friends you meet which is always a decent idea.) The student rooms in shared student city market flats are advertised constantly in the halls and all over the place.

As the university was no good at all though, halls were a headache regarding working. I could hardly do any, sometimes even the basic requirements. After a while it felt like communism and I wanted, need like you need air, very much to be independent of the company regarding my living arrangements.

wow, you should write travel guides or something! :smile:

does anyone have any pictures of holland, masson and chancellor's court? photos of both the outside building and the rooms inside would be nice :smile: thanks!
Reply 39
Hi everybody:smile:
I just joined this site quickly to ask some nagging questions..I've heard some horrible stories about both Sciennes, Pollock Halls and Portsburgh (which seem to be the three main accomodation places),I'm not sure how bad these places really are: if anyone has any first hand experiences of these places, it'd be really helpful. I'm looking for non catered, i would LIKE a en suite, but if i cant get one, i guess i'll survive:smile:.. I just don't know how you all decide where the best place is to stay.. help!x

Latest

Trending

Trending