The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Anonymous
i failed an exam terribly and now if i don't write them a letter explaining extenuating circumstances i will have to retake the entire course next year which i cant afford to do :frown:

anyway, ive written my reasons but am stuck on how to end it.

what should i write?

e.g please let me resit the exam this year (but i cant write that its silly)

thanks for any help it will mean a lot to me

based on the reasons detailed above, I ask that I am allowed to resit the examination.

Yours sincerely,

Student
Reply 2
Well, what are your extenuating circumstances? You need to be able to explain them clearly and objectively first of all - simply pleading won't work.
"In light of the circumstances highlighted above, I would hope you would consider allowing me to re-sit the aforementioned exam so that my results might be truer to my ability

yours faithfuly,
Anonymous"

Best of luck :smile:
Si
Reply 4
Just remember it's "Yours sincerely" if you name them at the start of the letter :wink:
Reply 5
Aren't letters of extenuating circumstances really supposed to be submitted before the exam. To prevent people just flunking exams and then making excuses for it.
Entirely dependant on circumstances.
Reply 7
Depends what it was for. In summer I get hayfever and over C4 this was very serious, causing me to be groggy for parts as well as sneezing myself into nose bleeds. I had to get a note from my doctor to explain I have had hayfever since I was little and that I always have medication for it and would the exam board please consider my mistakes more lightly.
Reply 8
Anonymous
i failed an exam terribly and now if i don't write them a letter explaining extenuating circumstances i will have to retake the entire course next year which i cant afford to do :frown:

anyway, ive written my reasons but am stuck on how to end it.

what should i write?

e.g please let me resit the exam this year (but i cant write that its silly)

thanks for any help it will mean a lot to me

think positive, you might not of failed it... surely you wouldnt of had the results this quickly!
Reply 9
also, what subject?
"Whilst I tried my best to overcome the difficulties I feel they have unfortunately impacted greatly my performance in xx exam and on this basis I would ask that I be allowed to resit the exam as soon as possible"

PS: I think some people just know an exam went horribly rather than waiting for the results and my uni only allows you 5 days after the exam itself to submit a claim for extenuating circumstances so people who just flunk the exam can't do it (presumably they wouldn't know they'd flunked it until the results came out :confused: )
you need to explain clearly which modules/exams you are asking for the ECs for, its its just one fine - but explain that it is only the exam (not coursework aswell) for module XXX. Then explain why you need ECs taken into account, not just moaning, state what was wrong. If you can get/have got a doctors note for it put that it. Then just finish saying that for the reasons you have stated above you are asking for your ECs to be taken into account with regards to the mark you have acheived in this examination
Reply 12
Really you should get your college/sixth form to write the letter and include the Dr's certificate

Latest