The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
If anyone has been given a primary/early years place at the uni of birmingham, I've made a facebook group (search for birmingham pgce 2012 and it should come up).
Reply 601
Original post by angel_night
All but one of the guys at my interview for primary wore suits. The one who didn't wore jeans, a shirt and blazer I think. So I think suits ar a safe bet :smile:

Good luck!!

Thank you.

So nervous!!!
Reply 602
Original post by doingmybest

I came out of my interview feeling like I'd royally messed up; today I received an offer: you never can tell. I'm sure you did great :smile:

Thanks doingmybest

How soon did u hear?
Original post by deborah561
I had mine then as well but still waiting to hear!! Have you guys heard anything yet?x

Nope not heard a thing, they said it would be in the new year, but still waiting!! so frustrating!
Hello all!

I think I may be a bit late to the party here but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway. I finished my undergrad in September and I'm now in the process of finishing my GTTR application from Primary with French. I didn't realize that the application deadline was so early (and my 'I want to be a teacher!' epiphany didn't happen until Christmas time) so I think might be looking at starting in 2013 now, which is a shame.
Original post by francophilia
Hello all!

I think I may be a bit late to the party here but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway. I finished my undergrad in September and I'm now in the process of finishing my GTTR application from Primary with French. I didn't realize that the application deadline was so early (and my 'I want to be a teacher!' epiphany didn't happen until Christmas time) so I think might be looking at starting in 2013 now, which is a shame.

Don't panic. :smile:
I went to a TDA day with pgce providers in March 2010 and loads of people there had just applied or were thinking about applying, even for primary. Some providers definitely seemed to have spaces left, so hope is not lost. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Don't panic. :smile:
I went to a TDA day with pgce providers in March 2010 and loads of people there had just applied or were thinking about applying, even for primary. Some providers definitely seemed to have spaces left, so hope is not lost. :smile:

That's reassuring! I think Primary with MFL tends to fill up last, or at least it did last year.

If anyone has any tips about approaching primary schools to observe lessons that would be much appreciated! I've sent out a fair few emails now but have had no reply. Should I call them to follow up or just wait and see?
Original post by francophilia
That's reassuring! I think Primary with MFL tends to fill up last, or at least it did last year.

If anyone has any tips about approaching primary schools to observe lessons that would be much appreciated! I've sent out a fair few emails now but have had no reply. Should I call them to follow up or just wait and see?

We had to spend two weeks in a school before my course started [and complete a 70 page task booklet - nightmare lol]. As I was no longer living in Lancaster, I'd lost my connections with the schools I had previously volunteered in.
I tried email and writing to so many schools. I got no reply. Do you have any connections at all - eg, family friend who is a teacher or a school you attended as a pupil? I ended up calling on such connections, as did most of my friends. In the end, I went to a school where the deputy headteacher was my friend's stepmother. :redface: The teachers there said they get lots of people emailing/writing asking if they can come in, but even with a CRB, they are hesitant about letting people come in when they don't know them... Obviously not all schools will take that approach, but I definitely think - from experience - calling on any connections you have might be the best bet. :smile:
Reply 608
Hi there.
I have decided to apply for a PGCE in Citizenship, anyone had their interviews or got their places? I know I have left it late but I just want to apply and see what happens? I have my observation in 2 weeks, really excited :smile:
Agghh its middle of Jan!! I WANT A REPLY!!! Lol
We had to spend two weeks in a school before my course started [and complete a 70 page task booklet - nightmare lol]. As I was no longer living in Lancaster, I'd lost my connections with the schools I had previously volunteered in.
I tried email and writing to so many schools. I got no reply. Do you have any connections at all - eg, family friend who is a teacher or a school you attended as a pupil? I ended up calling on such connections, as did most of my friends. In the end, I went to a school where the deputy headteacher was my friend's stepmother. :redface: The teachers there said they get lots of people emailing/writing asking if they can come in, but even with a CRB, they are hesitant about letting people come in when they don't know them... Obviously not all schools will take that approach, but I definitely think - from experience - calling on any connections you have might be the best bet. :smile:

Also, I have found popping in to schools and discussing what you want to do on your potential placement with the office team is really helpful. Once, somebody even said that that they prefer to take on people they've seen face to face just to see their manner.
Original post by tigergrowl
Also, I have found popping in to schools and discussing what you want to do on your potential placement with the office team is really helpful. Once, somebody even said that that they prefer to take on people they've seen face to face just to see their manner.

Definitely. It is getting that balance - being 'known' to the school, such as by popping in and talking about what you are hoping to be able to do, and yet not being pushy. :smile:

I have a few connections but not many. I've asked a friend who's currently a primary school teacher and I did some university outreach work at a primary school last spring so I've emailed the head there (unfortunately the teacher I worked with has now left) so we'll see... If not I could always try my old school. I'd rather not as that's in Wales and I now live in London! Thank you for the advice though :smile:
Original post by neelab
Thanks doingmybest

How soon did u hear?

A few days short of two months! When did they tell you that you would hear something? X
Reply 614

A few days short of two months! When did they tell you that you would hear something? X

2 months?! omg lol the wait is killing me. although u had to wait for tda allocations right? they said 2 weeks i have been unsuccessful and 4 weeks if i have been successful, did u get told the same at the time?
Reply 615
Original post by 92829
Anyone had an interview at York St John for Primary PGCE? I have mine tomorrow!

I have an interview for the Primary PGCE course on 2nd Feb! Does anyone else? Katie x
Has anyone else heard LITERALLY nothing from their first choice? No interview, no offer, no rejection..nothing? I sent my app off the 12th(ish) November!!!
Reply 617
I got on the Primary PGCE at Roehampton (MashAllah). Lots of slogging to look forward to! :wink:
Reply 618
Original post by neelab
I got on the Primary PGCE at Roehampton (MashAllah). Lots of slogging to look forward to! :wink:

Congratulations! It would be nice to see you in September. Well done.
3 days and it'll probably be over now, chosen Homerton as my main college (obvious choice I guess but I'd rather be there anyway) and Darwin second, nervous. Good luck all

Latest

Trending

Trending