The Student Room Group

Why did Ronaldinho leave Barcelona?

I mean, I kind of know the circumstances, but could someone with better knowledge tell me?
Reply 1
Pep Guardiola.
Reply 2
He got lazy, his work rate went down.
Reply 3
Pep Guardiola brought in new ideas and a different way of playing, Ronaldinho didn't fit his system. In fact I seem to remember that he wanted to get rid of Eto'o as well that summer and he eventually did the following season, rightly or wrongly.
Reply 4
Original post by VQG
Pep Guardiola brought in new ideas and a different way of playing, Ronaldinho didn't fit his system. In fact I seem to remember that he wanted to get rid of Eto'o as well that summer and he eventually did the following season, rightly or wrongly.

Pretty sure the Eto'o trade for Ibrahimovic plus £40m was arguably the worst transfer of all time.

I'm not sure what Guardiola was smoking at the time. Turned out to be an awful deal.
Reply 5
Original post by Xotol
Pretty sure the Eto'o trade for Ibrahimovic plus £40m was arguably the worst transfer of all time.

I'm not sure what Guardiola was smoking at the time. Turned out to be an awful deal.

Holy. Eto'o is class.

£40m on its own is probably too generous for Zlatan.
Reply 6
He became ****.
Reply 7
Original post by 419
He became ****.

and fat
Reply 8
Original post by Xotol

Well I think it was due to Barcelona not wanting Eto'o hence undervaluing him, and Inter wanting to keep Ibrahimovic (who was there best player) and his value inflating because of that. Poor deal in hindsight.
Reply 9
Original post by VQG
Well I think it was due to Barcelona not wanting Eto'o hence undervaluing him, and Inter wanting to keep Ibrahimovic (who was there best player) and his value inflating because of that. Poor deal in hindsight.

NO!

Any Tom Dick and Harry with 1% functioning brain knew the deal was just plain ridiculous when it was done.
Reply 10
What was the Ibrahimovic/Eto'o deal??
Reply 11
Original post by Jim-Jam
What was the Ibrahimovic/Eto'o deal??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8159267.stm

Read and laugh.
Reply 12

:no:

What did they do?! Hahaha, that is mental. Buy an injured 27 year old for £40 million and include Eto'o? Damn.

Didn't Zlatan go back to Inter anyway? He's there now?
Reply 13
Original post by Jim-Jam
:no:

What did they do?! Hahaha, that is mental. Buy an injured 27 year old for £40 million and include Eto'o? Damn.

Didn't Zlatan go back to Inter anyway? He's there now?

He's at AC Milan, what a mercenary!
Reply 14
Original post by haz864
He's at AC Milan, what a mercenary!

He played for Juventus before playing for Inter. He was a mercenary even before moving to Milan lol.

Ronaldinho left Barcelona because his form started dropping and also bad relationships with players/staff (Eto'o being one of them). Then Guardiola had a different playing style and wanted to get rid of the personalities that would cause trouble to his system or that were already doing so at the time (Deco, Eto'o, Ronaldinho and some other) which he did. I still think it was quite unfair on Ronaldinho how the club treated him though.

Barca was a good team but was not a powerhouse or even an unbeatable team in La Liga. Look at the years before Ronaldinho came and the league was quite even, Barca hadn't been in the champions league that often or anything. Ronaldinho took the club to a global level on terms of brand recognition (which wasn't happening since the great team Cruyff managed) mainly due to his joga bonito style and his personality. I think he is one of the catalysts in what made Barcelona to move onto a different level (not only himself, but he is due some credit and I think the way in which he was treated was unfair).
Original post by triloko
He played for Juventus before playing for Inter. He was a mercenary even before moving to Milan lol.

Ronaldinho left Barcelona because his form started dropping and also bad relationships with players/staff (Eto'o being one of them). Then Guardiola had a different playing style and wanted to get rid of the personalities that would cause trouble to his system or that were already doing so at the time (Deco, Eto'o, Ronaldinho and some other) which he did. I still think it was quite unfair on Ronaldinho how the club treated him though.

Barca was a good team but was not a powerhouse or even an unbeatable team in La Liga. Look at the years before Ronaldinho came and the league was quite even, Barca hadn't been in the champions league that often or anything. Ronaldinho took the club to a global level on terms of brand recognition (which wasn't happening since the great team Cruyff managed) mainly due to his joga bonito style and his personality. I think he is one of the catalysts in what made Barcelona to move onto a different level (not only himself, but he is due some credit and I think the way in which he was treated was unfair).

If anything, it was Ronaldinho being a douche to Barca tbh. He near enough refused to play and made up injuries even when the medical staff passed him fit. And then Guardiola came in and wanted him to track back and defend as a team... something which Ronaldinho doesnt do.

It is true though, that he helped catapult Barca to the top of the game when he was at his best in 03-07.

And to those saying about Ibrahimovic playing for Juventus/Inter/AC, in Italy playing for a rival team is quite common. And is barely a talking point compared to Spain and England. Pirlo moved to Juve from Milan, Aquilani has played for Juventus, Roma and Milan now, Ronaldo played for both Milan teams, and there are many more tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by CB91
If anything, it was Ronaldinho being a douche to Barca tbh. He near enough refused to play and made up injuries even when the medical staff passed him fit. And then Guardiola came in and wanted him to track back and defend as a team... something which Ronaldinho doesnt do.

It is true though, that he helped catapult Barca to the top of the game when he was at his best in 03-07.

And to those saying about Ibrahimovic playing for Juventus/Inter/AC, in Italy playing for a rival team is quite common. And is barely a talking point compared to Spain and England. Pirlo moved to Juve from Milan, Aquilani has played for Juventus, Roma and Milan now, Ronaldo played for both Milan teams, and there are many more tbh.

There was a bit of both on the Ronaldinho issue, true. But I guess there's always at least 2 sides to every story.

You're also forgetting Pirlo came from Inter :P

And whether it is a more discussed issue in the media in England and Spain doesn't mean in Italy it's "alright". Juve fans still harass Ibrahimovic about moving to Inter.
Original post by triloko
There was a bit of both on the Ronaldinho issue, true. But I guess there's always at least 2 sides to every story.

You're also forgetting Pirlo came from Inter :P

And whether it is a more discussed issue in the media in England and Spain doesn't mean in Italy it's "alright". Juve fans still harass Ibrahimovic about moving to Inter.

True, its not alright, but from what ive seen it seems to be only the hardcore fans that care tbh.
Reply 18
To get to the other side?

Quick Reply

Latest