The Student Room Group

A2 (Edexcel) Physics Unit 4 'Physics on the Move' - 24th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Killerstorm2
58/80 normally for A* isn't it?
50/80 is impossssible i think, thats 30 marks :O

Varies from paper to paper an A has been 53 before but most the time it's high 50's. I thought this paper was much harder than anything I've seen before so I presume it'll drop to around 53 if not lower. Only guessing though, take it with a pinch of salt.
Original post by Tommeo
Varies from paper to paper an A has been 53 before but most the time it's high 50's. I thought this paper was much harder than anything I've seen before so I presume it'll drop to around 53 if not lower. Only guessing though, take it with a pinch of salt.

Yh i understand but I think you misunderstood me, I was talking about A*
omg wtf was this paper?!?!

btw it is possible to have a very low grade boundary, in the January 2010 Physics unit 2 paper the A boundary was 45/80. I hope its as low as that this year.
Original post by Tommeo

It has never been in the high 50's, it has always been in the low/mid 50's, the A* grade is usually high 50's at about 58-59. I reckon this paper will be one grade lower than it usually is if that makes sense so an A* would be the equivalence to an A grade at about 53/80 and an A grade will be the equivalent to a B grade etc.
I think a part of the reason they made this years exam more difficult due to complaints that the A* in A level is too easy. If you notice, all the edexcel and even other boards' exams this year have been very different to the past. Both Unit 1 and Unit 2 Physics had a lot of written questions just like unit 4. It wasn't just a one-off. They made the papers harder not so they could just lower the boundaries. They did it to actually make it harder to get the grade. It sucks because some of us have offers riding on the grade we get for Physics.

If only we were a year older ..
Reply 165
A-levels are supposed to be this hard anyway, its not about remembering information but about applying knowledge...this paper was harder than others, but it was what i expected..
Original post by randereen
Very hard paper....
I kept on getting 200hz for the frequency question... how were you supposed to get 20?!

I am calling this paper: a wordy bitch.

For the question you ask about, I too could only get 200hz.

You had C=500pF and R=10 Mega ohms

I did this...

Unparseable latex formula:

C=\left\frac{Q}{V} \right

Q=ITQ=IT so subtitute in to get:

C=\left\frac{IT}{V} \right

V=IRV=IR and substitute to get:

C=\left\frac{IT}{IR} \right

cancel to get:

C=\left\frac{T}{R} \right

so:

500E^{-12} = \left\frac{T}{10E^6} \right

T=500E12×10E6[br]T=0.005T = 500E^{-12} \times 10E^6[br]T= 0.005

F=\left\frac{1}{T} \right

so

F=\left\frac{1}{0.005} \right

F=200HzF=200Hz

The only way I could see myself getting 20 Hz is if the Resistance had been printed incorrectly, and was meant to be 100 Mega ohms or the solution should have been 200Hz!

Possible I could be wrong though!
Original post by ThaChronic
It has never been in the high 50's, it has always been in the low/mid 50's, the A* grade is usually high 50's at about 58-59. I reckon this paper will be one grade lower than it usually is if that makes sense so an A* would be the equivalence to an A grade at about 53/80 and an A grade will be the equivalent to a B grade etc.

I wish lol
Reply 168
Crazy exam.
Reply 169
That exam was indeed crazy.
Reply 170
yea crazy as hell.. never seen questions like those before. what did you guys think of the paper?? i really hope the grade boundraries are really low too!!! :-(
Original post by whooshpaddy
I am calling this paper: a wordy bitch.

For the question you ask about, I too could only get 200hz.

You had C=500pF and R=10 Mega ohms

I did this...

C=\left\frac{Q}{V} \right

Q=ITQ=IT so subtitute in to get:

C=\left\frac{IT}{V} \right

V=IRV=IR and substitute to get:

C=\left\frac{IT}{IR} \right

cancel to get:

C=\left\frac{T}{R} \right

so:

500E^{-12} = \left\frac{T}{10E^6} \right

T=500E12×10E6[br]T=0.005T = 500E^{-12} \times 10E^6[br]T= 0.005

F=\left\frac{1}{T} \right

so

F=\left\frac{1}{0.005} \right

F=200HzF=200Hz

The only way I could see myself getting 20 Hz is if the Resistance had been printed incorrectly, and was meant to be 100 Mega ohms or the solution should have been 200Hz!

Possible I could be wrong though!

They could have made a misprint since they did it on the second last question. This paper was just ****ing stupid.
What on earth were you supposed to write for the record player question for the reason why the bumps were so closer together. The star trek question made me laugh though. :smile:
Reply 173
last question couldnt get an N=1 no matter what I tried. The question about vinyl discs was stupid also. time constant question was messed up too. Hope the grade boundaries are low.
Reply 174
i really don't know what's going on with the paper..
too much stuffs to write ..
plan to resit in june :P
The awkward moment when a to-be physicist fails his physics exam.
Reply 176
I'm sure I've had to write less in a biology exam!
for the vinyl disc question i wrote v=rw(omega). is said r decreases and omega is constant so v must decrease and so the bumps are closer together so that the time taken by the head to pass over each bump is the same (so that the music is played at the same speed). anyway else who thought/wrote this :frown: ???
Original post by robert jones
for the vinyl disc question i wrote v=rw(omega). is said r decreases and omega is constant so v must decrease and so the bumps are closer together so that the time taken by the head to pass over each bump is the same (so that the music is played at the same speed). anyway else who thought/wrote this :frown: ???

Yeah I wrote something like that. But both of us could be wrong.
Reply 179
Original post by robert jones

I wrote: the distance the needle (or whatever it was) travels a smaller distance and as v=d/t -> t=d/v then if the distance decreases so does the time taken and as f=1/t then then the frequency increases so the bumps should be closer to account for the increased frequency

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending