The Student Room Group

Is Biology, Chemistry and Maths hard?

Hi, I wanted to ask people who are doing these subjects or have done them that how much effort is needed to get an A and is it realistic for anyone whom puts the hours in. Also, I want to do medicine at Sheffield Uni but they require 6 A grades. I got 2. Will this mean I can't go there?
Reply 1
I do these subjects. They are hard but at the same time quite interesting and lessons are usually quite fun and active.
If you want to do Medicine, get plenty of voluntary work and work experience NOW! Start organising it and find a long term volunteering position somewhere (6 months+). Then get As at AS and you have a fairly competitive application.

For Sheffield you'll have to do UKCAT and score really high in that, so I'd advise you to start revising for that as soon as you have done your AS exams in May/June and take it in August. Do your personal statement first draft before you leave for summer holidays as well, and improve it during the summer with the things you do over the summer.
Reply 2
Thanks you so much, by the way, the UKCAT test, what does it involve because I've never heard of it and you never answered whether the GCSE results would stop me from gaining a place on the course :smile:
Reply 3
Any reccomendations as to where I should complete my voluntary work.
Reply 4
Yes they are.
Medicine is hard too, so I doubt it's the best course to do if you're put of by difficulty.
Reply 5
I was never put off, I just wanted another persons account of the subjects
Reply 6
I'm not exactly sure what it covers, I've never taken it but I've been told it has mainly reasoning questions. Go to the medicine sub-forum and you'll find everything you need to know about it on it. There's also a page on TSR about medicine voluntary work, look at that.
Reply 7
I'm new to this so could you send me links please. Also, sheffield uni require 6 A grades at GCSE, I got 2. But, if I do complete voluntary work and get A's at college then do you think I still have a good chance because studying in a different city isn't an option for me or my family
Many thanks by the way
Reply 8
Original post by Mr.Khane
I'm new to this so could you send me links please. Also, sheffield uni require 6 A grades at GCSE, I got 2. But, if I do complete voluntary work and get A's at college then do you think I still have a good chance because studying in a different city isn't an option for me or my family
Many thanks by the way

Okay here:
This is the link to the homepage of the medicine articles section:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
You'll find all the links in there.

For UKCAT:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

Work Experience:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Work_Experience

GCSE Requirements to medical schools:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Getting a lot of voluntary work and As at college is just the minimum if you want to apply to medicine. Almost everyone who applies for medicine has As anyway and at least some form of voluntary as well as work experience. Medicine is very competitive a lot of people with straight As and A*s get turned down, but you have to find a way of standing out.

On going to your preferred university, if you have a very high UKCAT score you'll have a decent chance for Sheffield (though most people that apply there have a very high score anyway). It depends on whats more important to you, doing medicine and becoming a doctor or going to a local university. If you want to do medicine your priority should be getting into a medicine course wherever that may be, because that's the level of commitment you need. Admissions tutors will know instantly if your heart isn't totally set on it.Plus you'll struggle at university if you do somehow get in because that's how demanding a course like medicine is.
Reply 9
Many Thanks
Reply 10
I do Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics and Further Maths.

In terms of difficulty:

Further Maths > Bio/Chem > Physics > Maths.

To be fair it's not that hard atm, but you have to keep up with things. Chemistry is more about learning concepts and applying them, Biology is about exam technique and learning a lot of information, Physics and Maths are just about applying knowledge and are either the easiest or hardest subjects.

You can only apply to med schools where you meet the minimum requirements. Sorry.
they require patience and concentration, but yes, anyone who puts the hours in can come away with an A.
Reply 12
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

How many hours do you think I should put in daily for each subject and do you reccomend any books for maths, my exam board is edexcel, I'll need C1 and C2. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending