University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Archaeology 2012 Undergraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by HampshireDave
Yeeessss??

("Dirtyoldriver" [to protect this fine person's real persona] - is it really a good thing I'm the one these folks are talking to first?!?!?!)

Your enthusiasm is refreshing, especially since you've just endured West Dean! (Which is lovely future Freshers if the weather holds out, which for me... it did not!). Actually that is a lie because your whole year is really enthusiastic about a lot, next years bunch need to try beat that level of keen!

Hopefully see y'all in September, will be around the first week because even though I applied for the Cyprus dig was unavailable for the full time because of dissertation things, sad times! X
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Dave grooming the freshers
Original post by Busby_Babe
Dave grooming the freshers

Better get them ready for excessive games of Touch the Cup on my return from Cyprus
Reply 343
Better get them ready for excessive games of Touch the Cup on my return from Cyprus

Touch the cup? Far too DURTY
So... Those who are already at UCL, what should we expect from Primtech (assuming we meet our offers), and what should we bring? :smile:
Original post by yakuzakitty
So... Those who are already at UCL, what should we expect from Primtech (assuming we meet our offers), and what should we bring? :smile:

I see no one else stepped into the breach on this one so I'll have a stab it at.

When you get your grades stuff will be posted to you in a welcome pack. Comes with the usual "Welcome to UCL your going to hate the SAS love it here". They have a big fat old list of **** to take to Primtech, and that's what you'll need.

A three man tent is advisable simply because:

A)1 and 2 man tents are almost like living in squalor
B)More room for slaying
C)More room for drunken slaying

But essentially don't worry too much about it freshers, all will become clear in due course :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Primtech is essentially 4 days of being either drunk or hungover with some relatively educational activities in between :smile: The biggest thing is be prepared for weather extremes - the year before us had 24/7 torrential rain whereas we had glorious baking hot sunshine the entire time.

Also don't worry about missing Fresher's Fayre (if you are worried that is) - it's a bit annoying but you can sign up for everything via email/the clubs + societies office.

"Welcome to UCL your going to hate the SAS

:unimpressed:

B)More room for slaying
C)More room for drunken slaying

Speaking from experience here of course :wink:
Hahaha I can attest to the inebriatedness but not quite the slaying :wink:

It's just a joke :wink:
What sort of times of year do excavations happen? I'm just wondering 'cause I'm trying to sort out a possible job transfer, and if there's a chance I'm gonna be popping off to random places every once in a while I should probably mention it :L
What sort of times of year do excavations happen? I'm just wondering 'cause I'm trying to sort out a possible job transfer, and if there's a chance I'm gonna be popping off to random places every once in a while I should probably mention it :L

Second Reading Week you'll have a day at LAARC where you'll proceed to gnaw your arm off.

Anything from roughly 12th May- 20th June you'll be away for two weeks somewhere in West Dean

Excavations currently happen between about now until september. My Cyprus one is sort of odd that it takes up one week of freshers.
Reply 350

You should come to a dig at the Blackden Trust- it's one/two weeks at the end of August and is all tutored by Mark Roberts, so it's awesome experience to get before you go to UCL apparently! www.theblackdentrust.org.uk :wink: I need a friend!! >.<
Original post by Jessica_
You should come to a dig at the Blackden Trust- it's one/two weeks at the end of August and is all tutored by Mark Roberts, so it's awesome experience to get before you go to UCL apparently! www.theblackdentrust.org.uk :wink: I need a friend!! >.<

I would if it weren't so expensive! That's a lot of money to camp in a field and dig, the excavation I did last year was only £150 for an all-inclusive week in a hostel during the excavation.

"That's a lot of money to camp in a field for a week..." says the girl who's going to Reading Festival at the end of August...
Reply 352
I would if it weren't so expensive! That's a lot of money to camp in a field and dig, the excavation I did last year was only £150 for an all-inclusive week in a hostel during the excavation.

"That's a lot of money to camp in a field for a week..." says the girl who's going to Reading Festival at the end of August...

Haha! Reading, NICE!
Yeah, it is really expensive, but all the others I've been doing this summer have been free, so it's sort of balanced out for me I guess. At the less expensive ones I've noticed the difference in tutoring too, like some of the volunteer digs just tell you where to dig and leave you to get on with it- that really scares me! So I figured if I'm getting tutoring from a UCL professor I could put up with it, aha. Where have you been digging recently?
So I figured if I'm getting tutoring from a UCL professor I could put up with it, aha. Where have you been digging recently?

Mark "only" has a BA, but don't tell him that :wink:
Haha! Reading, NICE!
Yeah, it is really expensive, but all the others I've been doing this summer have been free, so it's sort of balanced out for me I guess. At the less expensive ones I've noticed the difference in tutoring too, like some of the volunteer digs just tell you where to dig and leave you to get on with it- that really scares me! So I figured if I'm getting tutoring from a UCL professor I could put up with it, aha. Where have you been digging recently?

Fair enough :L

I haven't been digging since last year with exams, and there's isn't much free going on in my area so I haven't been able to do much :/ But nevermind!
Reply 355
Fair enough :L

I haven't been digging since last year with exams, and there's isn't much free going on in my area so I haven't been able to do much :/ But nevermind!

Ah, that's a shame- but next year we'll be digging all the time! I got an events guide from the Council for British Archaeology and it's basically a huge list of everything that's going on around the country this year, so it was pretty easy for me to find stuff, haha. It scares me so much going to places on my own though :s-smilie:
Reply 356
Good luck with the results tomorrow guys! Maybes see you all next month! X
Original post by ArchAnon
Good luck with the results tomorrow guys! Maybes see you all next month! X

Thank you! Here's hoping :smile:
*Fingers crossed*

I have the worst luck, was meant to be back in Britain by now but flight was delayed and now am leaving 2 hours before results come out. Arrgh
Good luck everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending