The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Archaeology 2012 Undergraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Can anyone impart some information about the content of the arch & anth interviews? at UCL in particular? I'm really worried they'll hand me some obscure artifact and I'll have no idea what it is.
whats more, I tend to fidget and speak french when I'm nervous- they'll think I'm crazy!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 161
Original post by stens001
Can anyone impart some information about the content of the arch & anth interviews? at UCL in particular? I'm really worried they'll hand me some obscure artifact and I'll have no idea what it is.
whats more, I tend to fidget and speak french when I'm nervous- they'll think I'm crazy!

Basically everyone gets assigned one or two people to interview them, and to be honest it varies from person to person what you get asked but for EVERYONE its very relaxed and casual, nothing that would involve identifying an artefact or testing your knowledge. They don't do that because they assume no-one knows anything or much about archaeology and really just want to get to know you, your personality, interests and what you think the Institute can give to you as much as what you can give to it. Its a two way street and literally a friendly chat, they may ask you about something you wrote in your personal statement but again not to quiz you, but to get to know you better. I'm sure you've read up and seen people who have already had their interviews all say the staff are really friendly and while the interview situation is intimidating, they're not there to do that or terrify you into an answer!

The Arch and Anth interviews are conducted in the same way as the Arch ones, a favourite question I think is why Arch and Anth and not just a single honours but thats pretty standard. This is because while your degree is split equally between Arch and Anth, the Arch department is the co-ordinator of the degree, as in they do all the admin for Arch and Anthers etc.

Good luck X
Original post by stens001

Yeah my interviewee was really nice and friendly :smile: Ah I speak in Japanese when I'm nervous... In my French GCSE speaking exam, I started saying "um" and "well" in Japanese instead of French...
Bump de bump.
Reply 164
Hi guys :smile:
I've got an interview in January, anyone else got one then? Most people on here seem to have been and gone already and what you're all saying about interviews is very reassuring, without you guys talking about it I'd be going crazy with fear over here :P
Original post by Kirikyu
I've got an interview in January, anyone else got one then? Most people on here seem to have been and gone already and what you're all saying about interviews is very reassuring, without you guys talking about it I'd be going crazy with fear over here :P

Yeah a lot of us had interviews last year and they were fine :smile: What course did you apply for?
Original post by Kirikyu

Congratulations :smile: I still haven't heard anything. When did you send your application off/hear about the interview?
Reply 167
Original post by yakuzakitty
Yeah a lot of us had interviews last year and they were fine :smile: What course did you apply for?

I applied for straight Archaeology.

Congratulations I still haven't heard anything. When did you send your application off/hear about the interview?

UCAS got my form on Nov 2nd, UCL sent me the questionnaire on 9th Dec and they got back to me on Dec 20th. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Kirikyu
UCAS got my form on Nov 2nd, UCL sent me the questionnaire on 9th Dec and they got back to me on Dec 20th. Hope that helps :smile:

See that's just annoying because I sent my UCAS to them on 26th Oct and they sent me an acknowledgement the next day, but I have not heard a thing from them since. I have applied for Joint Archaeology and Anthropology but still.
Original post by AquilaXenon

See that's just annoying because I sent my UCAS to them on 26th Oct and they sent me an acknowledgement the next day, but I have not heard a thing from them since. I have applied for Joint Archaeology and Anthropology but still.

You can send in an email asking what's going on, if you do that somebody may be able to tell you a date on which you can expect to hear news and that can put you out your misery :smile:
Reply 170

If you do want an update of where your application is at, I'd drop Charlotte an email but there is a while until the next Open Day I think so you may hear sooner than you think, like I said earlier I only heard the week before mine. It is probably taking longer because of the Anthropology aspect of it as I imagine it needs to go through them as well before you get an interview!
Good luck x
Original post by ArchAnon
If you do want an update of where your application is at, I'd drop Charlotte an email but there is a while until the next Open Day I think so you may hear sooner than you think, like I said earlier I only heard the week before mine. It is probably taking longer because of the Anthropology aspect of it as I imagine it needs to go through them as well before you get an interview!
Good luck x

Thanks :smile: I might wait a few days to email and see if I hear anything. I received an offer from Cambridge last week so I'm not worrying about the rest of my applications as much any more. That's what I was thinking as well, because it's the joint course, it's got to go through both departments. Do you know when the next open day is?
Reply 172
Thanks :smile: I might wait a few days to email and see if I hear anything. I received an offer from Cambridge last week so I'm not worrying about the rest of my applications as much any more. That's what I was thinking as well, because it's the joint course, it's got to go through both departments. Do you know when the next open day is?

I think its near the end of January but I am not 100% sure, but I think either the 18th or 25th, maybe someone who has an interview then could let you know! x
Reply 173
I think its near the end of January but I am not 100% sure, but I think either the 18th or 25th, maybe someone who has an interview then could let you know! x

It's the 25th :smile:
Reply 174
Original post by Kirikyu

Ok, so still ages away! Is that when you are having your interview? x
Reply 175
Ok, so still ages away! Is that when you are having your interview? x

Yep :smile: I'm kinda worried though, they said they'd e-mail through a schedule on Monday and they haven't yet... Maybe she meant next Monday? Who knows.
Original post by Kirikyu

I have an exam that day :/ Good luck on your interview though!
Reply 177
Original post by Kirikyu
Yep :smile: I'm kinda worried though, they said they'd e-mail through a schedule on Monday and they haven't yet... Maybe she meant next Monday? Who knows.

I think Charlotte is chock a block busy at the moment, if you haven't received it by next Tuesday I would email her, but I wouldn't worry! Arrive at the IoA by 10:30 I think and you will get a schedule and have students to show you around! x
Reply 178
I think Charlotte is chock a block busy at the moment, if you haven't received it by next Tuesday I would email her, but I wouldn't worry! Arrive at the IoA by 10:30 I think and you will get a schedule and have students to show you around! x

No doubt! It must be hectic this time of year! Thanks :smile:

I have an exam that day :/ Good luck on your interview though!

Thank you and good luck with your exam :biggrin:
I have an interview in February :smile:
What are the interviews actually like? Are they as academic as Oxbridge ones? (Cause I've forgotton all my Oxford prep, so I'd have to go over that again lol)
Quite excited about it actually, I hardly ever get to go to London! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending