The Student Room Group

Your "Oh ****!" stories/moment at University

So I thought I'd make a thread about people's moments of panic at University. It could be anything, from realising you have a lecture on the other side of campus as you were in the cafe, to locking yourself out of your halls because you left your keys in the taxi.

One of my favourites for me was when I turned up for an exam, sat down and began to look over the questions, and realised that, despite being an English student, I was sat in a Psychology exam and the English one wasn't until the next day in the same place. Trying to slip out without being noticed is quite difficult!

The invigilator said as I stood up "Are you stuck?". And I was like "No, I'm just in the wrong ****ing exam!". LOL

Your turn.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mr. Approachable
So I thought I'd make a thread about people's moments of panic at University. It could be anything, from realising you have a lecture on the other side of campus as you were in the cafe..

Oh yeah. That's me this morning in fact. Thought my lecture was in a closer building on campus that takes me ten minutes to walk to, so decided to leave late. Just before leaving I double checked my timetable to see that it is in fact in the furthest lecture theatre possible and basically have to powermarch the way there. :facepalm:
Reply 2
Failing to get in Q_Q
In first year, a mate of mine was like, "Guys, you know how we had one month to revise for Jan exams? We have 2 to revise for 8."

Straight to the library, got a book, started reading all the material for the first time.

Actually, we didn't have enough time to even look at C++ so I just did all the non C++ questions on the paper. Still passed, barely.
One morning this cyclist was weaving in and out of traffic like a madman during rush hour, in the middle of winter. He cut off loads of cars, then changed lanes without signaling etc, just being a real nuisance. Finally he cut in front of me just as we were slowing towards the stop lights, and I had to slam on my breaks and swerve my car to avoid him. Of course I gave him a good honking of the horns (several times actually, sort of went mental on the horns, lol) and shook my fist at the as**ole. He turns around and our eyes meet in fury, and it only takes a few moments to realise that it's my economics professor, whose class I was just on my way to that morning. Awkward. Also had this one incident where I called a prof a prick, only to turn around and find him standing behind me in the queue. He did not look impressed. Actually, it's a wonder that I didn't fail uni, with how many oh **** moments I've had to date :redface:.
(edited 12 years ago)
I also remember revising for an exam the night before and me and my mate decided to put a film on for background noise. We chose the original Batman. Bad idea because it turned into an all-night BatFest all the way through to The Dark Knight. At which point we realised that in 12 hours we'd done 30 minutes of revision. And he forgot to pick his Girlfriend up from his house. :biggrin:
Original post by X_mark_the_spot
One morning this cyclist was weaving in and out of traffic like a madman during rush hour, in the middle of winter. He cut off loads of cars, then changed lanes without signaling etc, just being a real nuisance. Finally he cut in front of me just as we were slowing towards the stop lights, and I had to slam on my breaks and swerve my car to avoid him. Of course I gave him a good honking of the horns (several times actually, sort of went mental on the horns, lol) and shook my fist at the as**ole. He turns around and our eyes meet in fury, and it only takes a few moments to realise that it's my economics professor, whose class I was just on my way to that morning. Awkward. Also had this one incident where I called a prof a prick, only to turn around and find him standing behind me in the queue. He did not look impressed. Actually, it's a wonder that I didn't fail uni, with how many oh **** moments I've had to date :redface:.

We've all been there.
Me and a mate realised that if we scanned a union ticket and printed it on the back of a receipt it looks exactly like a real ticket, saving us a cool £4 on buying two tickets.

Was going sweet until we were handing the tickets to the door staff and he turned over the fake ticket to see my ASDA grocery receipt.
Reply 8
one of my lecturers is a proper mardy bum. some people walked in a minute late and he had a rant saying 'you will buy an alarm clock and turn up to my lecture on time'
leaving this lecture i got into the lift with some mates and i was doing an impression of this right as he was walking past - luckily the lift door was closing and he didnt see me!
Reply 9
For my first English Lecture I went into the wrong hall, didn't get the memo that it had changed to next door. Turns out I was in the lecture for 'Early Years Teaching' and had to ask a load of people to let me out just as the lecturer was about to start, because I'd thought it'd be a good idea to sit in the middle of a row at the front...

Got caught sneaking in alcohol into the Uni Student club, not realising they'd begun putting security guys to check handbags and frisk the guys on your way in, got caught with it and had it taken away. I brought them because I had no money on me, so spent the entire night without a drink. My flatmates enjoy teasing me about this incident.

Got drunk last week, decided to go planking with my flatmates, thought it would be funny to 'plank' a dense looking hedge. Wasn't so dense afterall and I'm still sporting the bruises.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Unununium
one of my lecturers is a proper mardy bum. some people walked in a minute late and he had a rant saying 'you will buy an alarm clock and turn up to my lecture on time'
leaving this lecture i got into the lift with some mates and i was doing an impression of this right as he was walking past - luckily the lift door was closing and he didnt see me!

"You will buy an alarm clock and get to my lift on tiiiime!" she yells dramatically as the lift takes off to the bottom floor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Getting halfway to 9am lecture and realise i'm still in my pyjamas
Reply 12

Having two pieces of coursework due the same day, finishing the first one the day before only to be above word limit. I emailed my seminar leader to ask what to cut out but he completely ignored the question and replied "it would be better if you answered the question like this" oblivious to the fact that I had an entire other essay to write and really didn't have time to completely re-do it.

I only just managed to get them both in on time and luckily managed to pass them both *phew* although I still think he marked me down because I ignored his advice and he was pissed about it XD
Reply 13
Woke up at 8:10 when the bus leaves at 8:20 and had to get dressed in the lift, with people getting in and out
One of my flat mates went outside for a 3am fire drill, but forgot he sleeps commando. :P
Original post by Mr. Approachable
One of my flat mates went outside for a 3am fire drill, but forgot he sleeps commando. :P

Rofl, I bet that was a sight.
Walking into a lecture theatre, and announcing "This is the wrong lecture theatre!" to several hundred people, because my stupid brain decided that was the best way to play it cool.
Reply 17
Last year I had to hand in a piece of assessed work every week in a lecture at the end of the afternoon. I hadn't started it by lunchtime one day, and kept reminding myself that I'd have to do it that afternoon. Went back to my room... and started on a completely different piece of work. Realised as I was getting my stuff together to go to the lecture. :facepalm:
Original post by NapoleonDynamite
Rofl, I bet that was a sight.

Yes, it has scarred me
Original post by Popppppy
Walking into a lecture theatre, and announcing "This is the wrong lecture theatre!" to several hundred people, because my stupid brain decided that was the best way to play it cool.

I actually laughed out loud!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending