The Student Room Group

How to treat homeless/beggars?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just one more thing to add, I've noticed one has a hat full of pennies.

This made me assume that either he has quite a bit of money already but for obvious purposes, he has hid it from the public so others couldn't steal the money and also help to draw more charity.

?
Reply 81
I know what you mean. I can't help myself wanting to help them/feeling compassion for them. When I was nine my Grandma gave me a load of silver change. I asked if I could give it to this tramp and she said you can do whatever you want with it. I gave it to the tramp as I walked by and about 5 seconds later this man ran up behind me and thanked me really deeply, he was so thankful. I think, just being a kid, I must have moved him in some way.

I wish I could see which ones were genuine. If I were to help I would usually give change, but give it to those who I think will not misuse it.
Reply 82
Just heard from a lawyer, (my brother :redface:) it is against the law to give money to them?

Really?
Reply 83
You have to atleast greet them, you can't expect to barge into their house (Street) and not do anything, its a matter of manners.
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
In what way can you intellectually identify with a homeless person? If you haven't been homeless yourself then you can't possibly say you understand what they're going through and thus you can only sympathise and not empathise. You get me bro?

No, I don't. You don't have to know every minutiae to be able to imagine how hard living on the street is. Empathy isn't only reserved for someone who has literally been in that situation; that isn't what the word means. The definition I linked has the word "vicarious" in it. Look it up. gg.
I decide whether to give them money or not based on the time of day and the likely hood of the tramp being able to mug me if I say no.
If it is dark and sparsely populated around where I am I will give them money. Any other occasion I say I have no change.

I had one occasion when I said that and the tramp said dont worry i take notes.I stopped went in my pocket and pulled out a paper and pen and wrote I HAVE NO CHANGE, handed it to him and said there's your note.

Part in italics might not be true :colondollar:
Reply 86
I generally give them some food.
Original post by Hamesh
Just heard from a lawyer, (my brother :redface:) it is against the law to give money to them?

Really?

I *seriously* doubt this. The general idea of law is that you're free to do whatever you want with your property subject to certain restrictions. Giving gifts isn't one of them. In the same way I could give my friends money for their birthday or something, I can walk up to a complete stranger and give them money. I don't see why this would change if this stranger were homeless.
Original post by Hamesh
Perhaps Muslims give more or they like to dress like that?

Why do they beg in the first place is the question I would be asking?
Does the UK govt not offer any support?

Look I haven't clue about begging tbh and I'm busy doing homework. :colondollar:

When your less busy, you should watch the Panorama documentary.
Reply 89
Original post by gethsemane342
I *seriously* doubt this. The general idea of law is that you're free to do whatever you want with your property subject to certain restrictions. Giving gifts isn't one of them. In the same way I could give my friends money for their birthday or something, I can walk up to a complete stranger and give them money. I don't see why this would change if this stranger were homeless.

Wait, I misunderstood, begging is illegal.
Reply 90
Original post by Stratos
What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness.

An evolutionary check preventing the species from falling into collapse. Imagine a group of humans composed only of psychopaths and one composed of well adjusted gentlemen, the second group will out perform the first. Evolutionary pressure working with social dynamics there.

However if a few psychopaths exist within the second group then, in small numbers, they'll probably individually outperform the average man and so get selected.

It's an evolutionary feedback cycle, can't have too many psychopaths or society won't function but a few individual psychopaths can perform well within society. :holmes:
Original post by Hamesh
Wait, I misunderstood, begging is illegal.

Yes; but only if you are causing a nuisance by begging, I think?
Reply 92
Begging is illegal but the law in recent years has come into force a lot more e.g. police giving out ASBO's to beggers and on public transport.

Thanks Elissabeth, I will watch the Panoroma documentary.
Reply 93
Original post by 2ndClass
The Warriors?

Please be kidding.
Reply 94
Original post by z0tx
Please be kidding.

No :confused:, i thought they were the baseball furies gang
Original post by Stratos
What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness.

What a horribly morose and self-centered outlook - perhaps guilt is indicative of prima facia duties, fraternal bonds and empathy? To care for others? Even from a quite abstract self-interest a certain amount of mutual care and aid is quite benefitial.
I'd always been told by my parents not to give to them as they'll just use it for drink/drugs. This video changed my mind a bit, especially the part about hoping for 20p to use a public bathroom and about giving 2ps and 1ps to charity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBeuk5Dt4Dw I suppose everyone has a story and a reason for being where they are.

Yes, they might use the money to help fuel an addiction or it might be a scam but they might have some 'better' use for the money in mind and you're probably not going to find that out just by looking at them. It's a risk a lot of people might not be comfortable with but I don't think what they need it for really matters. I mean, it's their choice really. They're not going to stop being an addict because you didn't give them 10p, they'll look for another way of getting money. Besides, if they're on the streets and it's freezing or raining and they have whatever problem forced them onto the streets in the first place running through their head, I don't blame them for wanting something to help them forget the pain and the cold. Giving them some spare change isn't going to make a huge difference anyway. If I give a homeless person a few spare coins or a cup of tea, I don't expect it to have any real impact on their problem, it's more about letting them know that someone actually cares. Maybe if lots of people briefly show them that they care, that little bit of hope might be enough to help them along.

That said, if they're being rude or demand money without at least being polite, I tend to just say 'no, sorry' and walk on. If they seem genuine then I'll give them something. I know it's not enough though so I'm trying to get involved with a couple of homelessness charities. I can't imagine what it's like to just sit there night after night in the cold with people ignoring you all the time. It must be horrible :frown: When you get that vulnerable, it's bound to be hard to get back on your feet if people aren't willing to help you out.
Reply 97
The homeless I encounter where I live are actually really decent people; I chat to one of them quite often actually as I pass him on the way to my piano lesson every week! I like him though. He's never pestering anyone; he does his own thing and grooves on his violin :cool: I naturally give him some change when I can and to other homeless people as well. I think a good policy is to try and buy the big issue when you can that way you know it's going to something good.

They live really sad lives in truth so anything is helpful for them :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 98
I'd only buy a big issue if I had to catch a train. I don't mind spending like £2 on it for something to read. The articles are quite interesting. But seeings as I mainly drive and I think we all agree that reading and driving is dangerous I don't usually buy it. The biggest problem is give to one give to all. I can't even afford that even if I were to give out pennies. I rarely have cash, debit card user for small transactions :P and I've had a homeless person beg for change when I was on the phone. I found him really inconsiderate so I made sure I spoke extra loudly and talked about finding a Burger King to show how pissed off I was at him. I'd only ever buy one big issue from the last person.
Reply 99
Original post by Randell Turbruss
What a horribly morose and self-centered outlook - perhaps guilt is indicative of prima facia duties, fraternal bonds and empathy? To care for others? Even from a quite abstract self-interest a certain amount of mutual care and aid is quite benefitial.

I am self-centered dear, I said so in my posts already :biggrin:. I only care for others if they provide benefits for me. hence my caring is merely the act of preserving the relationship beneficial for me, even if it's mutually beneficial my reasons aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending