The Student Room Group

If your predicted grades dont meet the entry requirements will they reject you?

My predicted grades are AAB and two of the unis i'm applying to ask for AAA (one being UCL) will they reject me straight away?

Scroll to see replies

No they won't. If the rest of your application is very strong, and your reference is very good, they might give you an offer - but it won't be lower than what they give others, ie. it'll be AAA or better.
Original post by logiadoevus
No they won't. If the rest of your application is very strong, and your reference is very good, they might give you an offer - but it won't be lower than what they give others, ie. it'll be AAA or better.

This.
Reply 3
Original post by logiadoevus

What if the course is very competitive (law)? thank you for your answer :smile:
Reply 4
Not always, but at UCL for Law they are 99% sure to reject you. Do you have a pass in a fourth AS? What are your GCSE results?
How about if somebody is predicted significantly higher than the requirements, but has terrible GCSE's? Is there any point in even applying to UCL?
Reply 6
Original post by rdsnell
Not always, but at UCL for Law they are 99% sure to reject you. Do you have a pass in a fourth AS? What are your GCSE results?

I have a C at As. My GCSEs aren't bad I achieved a few As but I got a D in maths which I will be retaking.
Original post by electric-wars
How about if somebody is predicted significantly higher than the requirements, but has terrible GCSE's? Is there any point in even applying to UCL?

Yes its worth a shot. I know people who got in with very low predictions but performed exceptionally at interview!

If its what you want give it a go; maybe even go the extra mile and contact the admissions for law with a simple email explaining the quandry.
Reply 8
Original post by blob290
I have a C at As. My GCSEs aren't bad I achieved a few As but I got a D in maths which I will be retaking.

What were your other AS results which have caused you to be predicted AAB? Any A*s at GCSE? The D in Maths clearly won't look good, this is from the UCL website:
"NB.
1.It is a pre-requisite that applicants have grade B passes at GCSE Maths and English, and grade C pass at a Modern Foreign Language.
2.The minimum entry requirements stated below are for guidance only. Please note that all of our LLB programmes are heavily over-subscribed, therefore, meeting the entry requirements is not a guarantee for gaining admission."

You don't have the B in Maths, you don't make the predicted grades, do you have a pass in a foreign language?
Have you already sent your UCAS off? If not, I would strongly reconsider UCL, they reject candidates with much better academics than you I'm afraid.
What other universities are you applying to?
Reply 9
Original post by rdsnell
What were your other AS results which have caused you to be predicted AAB? Any A*s at GCSE? The D in Maths clearly won't look good, this is from the UCL website:
"NB.
1.It is a pre-requisite that applicants have grade B passes at GCSE Maths and English, and grade C pass at a Modern Foreign Language.
2.The minimum entry requirements stated below are for guidance only. Please note that all of our LLB programmes are heavily over-subscribed, therefore, meeting the entry requirements is not a guarantee for gaining admission."

You don't have the B in Maths, you don't make the predicted grades, do you have a pass in a foreign language?
Have you already sent your UCAS off? If not, I would strongly reconsider UCL, they reject candidates with much better academics than you I'm afraid.
What other universities are you applying to?

I got BBB in As, I did get 1 A* at GCSE and an A in a modern foreign language. I haven't sent it off yet and was reconsidering UCL even though I wanted to take the risk on it and see, but if theres absolutely no chance then I guess I should just forget it. City University London is the other university that my predicted grades don't meet the requirements for.
Reply 10
If I'm being brutally honest, I would say that BBB won't be enough for UCL and if I would you then i would take it off your list. However, it's entirely your choice.
What are your other 3 choices? I'd have a go at City, they are nowhere near as competitive as UCL. Have you looked at Sussex or Reading, they are both AAB I believe. Or Law at Exeter's Cornwall campus?
Reply 11
Original post by blob290
My predicted grades are AAB and two of the unis i'm applying to ask for AAA (one being UCL) will they reject me straight away?

What are you applying for? Some courses are obvs. more competitive than others :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by abbie4884
What are you applying for? Some courses are obvs. more competitive than others :smile:

Ok just read through the previous posts. So law.

I'm worried about applying to UCL even with the predicted grades they're asking for. Its very competitive even without applying for law, most top unis wont accept resit GCSE's at all so if I were you I'd drop it from the list. Unless you'll regret not giving it a shot later on
Reply 13
Original post by rdsnell
If I'm being brutally honest, I would say that BBB won't be enough for UCL and if I would you then i would take it off your list. However, it's entirely your choice.
What are your other 3 choices? I'd have a go at City, they are nowhere near as competitive as UCL. Have you looked at Sussex or Reading, they are both AAB I believe. Or Law at Exeter's Cornwall campus?

I've applied to Reading, Westminister and Brunel as well. I was considering replacing Brunel with St.Mary's because they're entry requirements are very low just in case. What do you think?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14

I'm worried about applying to UCL even with the predicted grades they're asking for. Its very competitive even without applying for law, most top unis wont accept resit GCSE's at all so if I were you I'd drop it from the list. Unless you'll regret not giving it a shot later on

I echo this completely.
Reply 15
Original post by blob290
I've applied to Reading, Westminister and Brunel as well :smile:

Well all of those definitely seem within reach for you. As I say, have a look at Sussex, I hear their Law department has recently undergone huge amounts of investment.
Reply 16

I really want to take the risk just to see but I'm worried about wasting the option when I could put something with lower entry requirements as a definite back up. Will they not accept a retake?
Reply 17
Original post by blob290
I really want to take the risk just to see but I'm worried about wasting the option when I could put something with lower entry requirements as a definite back up. Will they not accept a retake?

Top unis dont accept gcse resits at all otherwise i'd have resat my B in maths :s-smilie:
You simply don't meet the minimum gcse requirements let alone the A level ones.
Sorry to sound harsh, but I feel its better to be honest with you so you dont waste an option applying.
Reply 18
Original post by blob290

To be brutally honest, I don't think any Russell group uni would accept you with a D in maths gcse or a resit gcse, especially for law. :frown:
Reply 19
Top unis dont accept gcse resits at all otherwise i'd have resat my B in maths :s-smilie:
You simply don't meet the minimum gcse requirements let alone the A level ones.
Sorry to sound harsh, but I feel its better to be honest with you so you dont waste an option applying.

I guess theres no point in applying there at all then :frown: Thank you for being honest though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending