The Student Room Group

What are the worst areas in your town or city?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stanza
Which part of London is not bad?

Most of an underground map.
Original post by Bethanyyy
I live in Hull. Honestly, the worst part is pretty much everything within the boundary.

You spelt it wrong. It's spelt HELL

Even on the way to Hell you're greeted by Goole. How worse can it get?
Reply 62
I live in Hull. Honestly, the worst part is pretty much everything within the boundary.

I always thought Hull was massively underrated! I went to school there (although I lived in Beverley) and never truly understood why people dislike it so much. It does have some shocking parts, that much is true, but the 'Avenues' are nice, as is the old town :smile:
Original post by JordanR
I remember going to the cinema in Woodgreen to see Avatar with my father (everywhere else was sold out, and the cinema there was pretty good). On the bus on the way back, there was a ruckus downstairs, and some angry chap was shouting rather incomprehensibly. I later deciphered and heard that he was shouting, "I get paid to kill white people", which was pretty alarming considering that my father and I were the only white people on the bus, and this guy was clearly intoxicated somehow. It didn't help when two boys up the back of the bus flashed their knives at me when I turned round either.

The worst thing about that is that it wasn't that good a film.

Yes, the place is horrendous. Sorry for you experience. It so happens I was robbed on the bus in Woodgreen and I'm an Asian guy. The guy was blowing some quacking duck toy in my face (how lame), then all of a sudden he jumped me with the help of his friend.

But yeah, I would say Woodgreen is the least pleasant area to live in within London. My cousins live a 30 second walk from Woodgreen and you could see the broken shop windows from their house during the London riots...
Original post by hamijack
I'm from London.

Where do I begin?

:lol: Hahaha!!! Same here!
Grimsby earns it's name. Who goes on holiday to cleethorpes except skint chavs from Sheffield and Doncaster?
Reply 66
Original post by Xanyi
I always thought Hull was massively underrated! I went to school there (although I lived in Beverley) and never truly understood why people dislike it so much. It does have some shocking parts, that much is true, but the 'Avenues' are nice, as is the old town :smile:

Yeah, the Avenues and Old Town are lovely, but then you go to Preston Road, Newbridge Road, (highest crime rates in Hull apparently, I grew up there!) and Orchard Park, and wonder how many of them have been guests on Jeremy Kyle...

Everyone complains about Bransholme though, and I don't think it's that bad at all!
Reply 67
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Most of an underground map.

I wish the same could be said about the services.
Original post by jblackmoustache
Depends on what you mean by worst. In my view the student areas in Leeds are notorious for burglaries, etc. Students must be easy meat.

One house= six laptops. Even burglars can do maths.

And from what I've seen from living in Leeds hyde park is horrible. God knows what it would be like if the students weren't there. They provide the only money going into the area.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Yeah, the Avenues and Old Town are lovely, but then you go to Preston Road, Newbridge Road, (highest crime rates in Hull apparently, I grew up there!) and Orchard Park, and wonder how many of them have been guests on Jeremy Kyle...

Everyone complains about Bransholme though, and I don't think it's that bad at all!

Ohh Orchard Park is something haha.. when I moved they were in the process of demolishing all the high rise flats (although I swear they just painted half of them?!).
Reply 70
Original post by hamijack
I'm from London.

Where do I begin?

. ^this
Reply 71
Original post by House Dagoth
Yes, the place is horrendous. Sorry for you experience. It so happens I was robbed on the bus in Woodgreen and I'm an Asian guy. The guy was blowing some quacking duck toy in my face (how lame), then all of a sudden he jumped me with the help of his friend.

But yeah, I would say Woodgreen is the least pleasant area to live in within London. My cousins live a 30 second walk from Woodgreen and you could see the broken shop windows from their house during the London riots...

:c

Sucks man, were you alright?
Reply 72
Original post by Xanyi
Ohh Orchard Park is something haha.. when I moved they were in the process of demolishing all the high rise flats (although I swear they just painted half of them?!).

Yeah I've noticed no difference in the skyline around there... It might have got better in recent years, but I tend to avoid it at all costs :tongue: There are some nice council estates in Hull though, like Longhill and Bilton Grange.
Original post by HumiT
Hyson Green, Radford, The Meadows and the council estates in Broxtowe and Bestwood

I actually live in Beeston(so just in Broxtowe), but never really travel around the Broxtowe area to places like Chilwell, I go into Notts. Is it bad around Broxtowe then?

Anyway to add to the list...

St.Anns, Radford, Bobbersmill, Sneinton isn't that nice. I watched an episode of Location,location,location and Kirsty described Sneinton as an "up and coming area"...well it's sure going to take a while, it's pretty depressing at the moment.

Aspley isn't great actually, I went to a school there and had a few friends in the area, brawls on the streets were fairly common.

To be honest Nottingham is a pretty **** city. Yeah okay it has some good nightlife for students but I can't honestly say there are many places I feel safe at night in Nottingham. I know so many people who've been mugged, intimidated or beaten up seemingly for the hell of it, even in the city centre where others are around.
Reply 74
i doubt very many people here will know west fife well enough to know what i mean but the worst part of the town i live (rosyth) is camdean or sherbrooke, and of the nearest proper sized town (dunfermline) is a disgusting place called abbeyview, horrible places to be,shame i live in one
Reply 75
Original post by TRS-T
Interesting that whenever you mention the worst areas in Birmingham, people instantly think of the non-white areas.

However you have also mentioned Yardley, Quinton and Stechford which are white areas.

You've mentioned all the non-white areas with the worst reputations (except maybe Lozells.)

I think the white areas with the worst reputations are Northfield, Erdington, Kingstanding and Shard End.

I'm from Lozells! Have to say, there's not a single white person in my area.
From reading i'd have to say Greater Manchester gets my vote as the worst area. Not just because it's rough but because it's so grim. Boring ex industry towns like Bolton and Bury (the market is cool though) and ****holes with loads of racial tension and crime (Oldham and Rochdale) and inner cities with loads of burglaries and muggings (Fallowfield, Rusholme and Longsight)
Original post by JordanR
:c

Sucks man, were you alright?

at the time? no, It was a very demoralizing experience. But as of now I am fine.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. :yes: That is the way I look at these things.
From Bristol

Knowle = Chav-land

tottenham - woodgreen :smile:

Tottenham isn't that bad at all in terms of danger. I don't live there (thank god) but it isn't dangerous to walk through or anything...I would say I feel more comfortable walking through tottenham than some other areas.

Edit: Actually I take that back, I thought the thread was about dangerous areas. I must agree tottenham isn't nice :smile: The other day I noticed how much litter there is there on the floor it was surprising
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending